NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018 | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018

I think it's because his college career was like 10 games.

Yeah that and he was also pretty young for a college freshmen, it seems like a lot of college freshmen turn 20 during that season, Kyrie didn't even turn 19 until March of his freshmen year. (Tristan thompson for instance; same draft as Kyrie, also a freshmen, he's nearly exactly one year older)

I now believe DeMarcus Cousins is going to LA with LeBron and Kawhi.
Paul George will stay with OKC.
Kawhi Leonard to the Lakers for Kuzma/Ingram/Hart.

Ball/Deng to Phoenix.

Would have to really scrap the rest of a roster together at that point. Imagine they would have to renounce Randle, Lopez and Caldwell-Pope so there is legitimately nothing left. I'm sure there would be a bunch of ring-chasers that would be happy to join that crew in LA though. Would be really fun to watch those 3 play together.

No Danny doesn't.
Please tell me a deal Danny started with a nonstarter and got the deal?
Danny is smarter than most GMs but he isn't this guy who starts with nonstarters.

You ask for more in a negotiation but if your starting point is something that will never happen the deal isn't happening unless one side absolutely desperate.

That is what Danny Ainge is known for. He is notorious for starting with over asks.

That is what Danny Ainge is known for. He is notorious for starting with over asks.
Danny looks for a good deal but he doesn’t make offers that are non-starters.
He typically makes good deals but if your SA do you start negotiations asking for Tatum or Brown?
Asking for Tatum just ends the discussion.

Danny looks for a good deal but he doesn’t make offers that are non-starters.
He typically makes good deals but if your SA do you start negotiations asking for Tatum or Brown?
Asking for Tatum just ends the discussion.
I don't understand why Kawhi for Tatum is absolutely out of the question. It's weird.

I don't understand why Kawhi for Tatum is absolutely out of the question. It's weird.
Kawhi has 1 year left and is coming off an injury that cost him 73 games.
I am not trading a guy with 3 years of control and is a probable all-star and stud for 10+ plus years for him.

Brown is the proper ask.

I don't understand how people think they have any clue how NBA GMs are starting their negotiations. I literally negotiate deals for a living and there is pretty much no such thing as a non-starter. However, we have folks on message boards speaking as fact that they know how someone they have only watched on TV or read articles about, operates.

I don't understand how people think they have any clue how NBA GMs are starting their negotiations. I literally negotiate deals for a living and there is pretty much no such thing as a non-starter. However, we have folks on message boards speaking as fact that they know how someone they have only watched on TV or read articles about, operates.
I am lawyer and have negotiated settlements.
There are offers so ridlicious I have politely declined and moved on without a counter as the difference wasn’t going to be productive.

You can make stupid offers which end talks.

There are offers so ridlicious I have politely declined and moved on without a counter as the difference wasn’t going to be productive.

Well if thats true than you should know for absolute certain that the 1st ask from Pop and Buford would be Tatum. Probably Tatum, the Kings pick and the Grizz pick plus whatever salary filler necessary I would imagine.

Well if thats true than you should know for absolute certain that the 1st ask from Pop and Buford would be Tatum. Probably Tatum, the Kings pick and the Grizz pick plus whatever salary filler necessary I would imagine.
Here is how I would handle.
Hey Pop we are interested in Leonard but just so you know Tatum isn’t available.
I understand Danny we are interested in a lot of your assets. This is Kawhi Leonard so I am not giving him away.

They start with Brown and all the draft picks on the table and negotiate from there.

Hey Pop we are interested in Leonard but just so you know Tatum isn’t available.
I understand Danny we are interested in a lot of your assets. This is Kawhi Leonard so I am not giving him away.

They start with Brown and all the draft picks on the table and negotiate from there.

Thanks for calling Dan the man, click.

Picks phone back up. Hey Erv, give me Ingram, Kuzma, Randle on a re-signed 3 year 30 mill deal, a lifetime pass to Magic Theaters and a $50 of Kogi BBQ tacos. Done.

Thanks for calling Dan the man, click.

Picks phone back up. Hey Erv, give me Ingram, Kuzma, Randle on a re-signed 3 year 30 mill deal, a lifetime pass to Magic Theaters and a $50 of Kogi BBQ tacos. Done.
As Knicks will tell you can’t sign and trade a guy as part of package.

Also Ingram hasn’t been included in any offer thus far either.

I doubt the Lakers give up Kuzma and Ingram unless they have both LeBron and Boogie/George locked up.

You also forget how much Pop doesn’t want to give the Lakers Kawhi unless their offer is better.

I doubt the Lakers give up Kuzma and Ingram unless they have both LeBron and Boogie/George locked up.

You also forget how much Pop doesn’t want to give the Lakers Kawhi unless their offer is better.

I'm like 90% sure this isn't true, at least not anymore. I could have sworn this used to be included in the CBA, but considering the Bucks situation with Jabari, this has been a hot topic and nobody has found any evidence that teams can't package a sign-and-trade with other assets. On the contrary, there's been plenty of speculation from legitimate NBA writers that Randle for example could be included as part of the package, and there's been articles that have specifically stated that "The free agent’s previous team can also combine other contracts with the signed-and-traded free agent in the trade if needed for either salary cap purposes or basketball purposes."

Get out of here with stating things as fact that you literally have no clue about. If the Lakers are having any kind of discussion with the Spurs about Kawhi Leonard that they are trying to get done this weekend then Ingram has been offered. They don't have other pieces that add up.

Kawhi has 1 year left and is coming off an injury that cost him 73 games.
I am not trading a guy with 3 years of control and is a probable all-star and stud for 10+ plus years for him.

Brown is the proper ask.
Did it cost him 73 games, or did it "cost" him 73 games?

I'm like 90% sure this isn't true, at least not anymore. I could have sworn this used to be included in the CBA, but considering the Bucks situation with Jabari, this has been a hot topic and nobody has found any evidence that teams can't package a sign-and-trade with other assets. On the contrary, there's been plenty of speculation from legitimate NBA writers that Randle for example could be included as part of the package, and there's been articles that have specifically stated that "The free agent’s previous team can also combine other contracts with the signed-and-traded free agent in the trade if needed for either salary cap purposes or basketball purposes."

It's been impossible for me to figure out the sign and trade rules. Larry Coon doesn't totally cover them well in the FAQ. It's driving me a little crazy.

I can see that point. My issue is I don't see how asking for Tatum rises to that level.

Tatum’s going to be melo with rings. Let la have kawhi

Dan: What do I get if he pouts for the whole season again?

Get out of here with stating things as fact that you literally have no clue about. If the Lakers are having any kind of discussion with the Spurs about Kawhi Leonard that they are trying to get done this weekend then Ingram has been offered. They don't have other pieces that add up.

Good luck having Randle as part of a sign and trade package.
Why NBA Sign-And-Trades Are Rare

I generally agree with much of what Alsacs says, but I am with Knicks411 here. Asking for Tatum is a strong bid to start (normal negotiating), but it is not a ridiculous overask,

I generally agree with much of what Alsacs says, but I am with Knicks411 here. Asking for Tatum is a strong bid to start (normal negotiating), but it is not a ridiculous overask,
I respect it. I am wrong plenty.

While you can't trade Julius Randle in a sign and trade as part of a package, it could certainly be done in two or three moves to make it look like one trade (and you may have to add a team).

Assume the Following is the Trade they want to do, which is not allowed in one trade:

Danny Green or Paddy Mills
Kawhi Leonard

For

Randle S&T
Asset 1
Asset 2
Draft Pick(s)

It can still be done as follows, and it will look like a standard 3 team trade:

Trade #1: Lakers Sign and Trade Randle to Spurs for Mills
Trade #2: Lakers Trade Other Assets Above for Kawhi Leonard.
Trade #3 - Lakers trade Pick(s) and Mills for Lower Pick to a 3rd Party.

Trade 3 is necessary for the Lakers to clear cap space.

I was thinking that it could be even easier -- the Spurs trade Leonard for Assets and a Large TPE is created. They then use the TPE to sign Julius Randle. But you can't trade a TPE in order to sign and trade for a player.

While you can't trade Julius Randle in a sign and trade as part of a package, it could certainly be done in two or three moves to make it look like one trade (and you may have to add a team).

Assume the Following is the Trade they want to do, which is not allowed in one trade:

Danny Green or Paddy Mills
Kawhi Leonard

For

Randle S&T
Asset 1
Asset 2
Draft Pick(s)

It can still be done as follows, and it will look like a standard 3 team trade:

Trade #1: Lakers Sign and Trade Randle to Spurs for Mills
Trade #2: Lakers Trade Other Assets Above for Kawhi Leonard.
Trade #3 - Lakers trade Pick(s) and Mills for Lower Pick to a 3rd Party.

Trade 3 is necessary for the Lakers to clear cap space.

I was thinking that it could be even easier -- the Spurs trade Leonard for Assets and a Large TPE is created. They then use the TPE to sign Julius Randle. But you can't trade a TPE in order to sign and trade for a player.
You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

So we know DeAndre Jordan opted out yesterday making him an UFA.. and he most likely will sign with the Mavs (for real) this time.. but look who is trying to add to their superteam...

The Warriors know this has a marginal chance of success, but they intend to at least explore their free-agent chances with DeAndre Jordan, who is not only close pals with Kevin Durant but also one of GM Bob Myers' former clients. Such a move would require Jordan to take a deal starting at the taxpayer midlevel exception of $5.3 mil -- which would cost the Warriors more like $27 mil next season. But it has been whispered around the Warriors for months that they will at least explore making a run at Jordan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom