NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 111 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Draymond Green is way closer to the past his prime Dennis Rodman on the second three-peat Bulls than was Carmelo Anthony.

Anthony led the league in scoring and carried sub par teams.

If you are picking who would be a better fit on the Warriors with Steph/Klay and Durant then Green over Melo makes sense.

If it’s whose a better player its melo.
I feel like Draymond Green is one of those guys who is on the Ben Wallace all stars where they are underrated for a good portion of their careers then everyone talks about how underrated and important they are and they become overrated.
Good points for sure. If nothing else is known, who are you taking green or melo? It’s just so absurd to even ask that question. One is top 15 in scoring ever!!!!

Posted this on main board too

Would anyone take Draymond Green over Melo in their prime years? A buddy made a Facebook poll of this And people actually chose green. Clearly some orange bias here but that’s a joke right?

Both in their primes (like say 2013 Melo and 2016 Green) if I was just starting a team from scratch, I would take Melo. If we're adding them to already set rosters and I have a lot of scoring, I could see the argument for Green.

As we get further and further away from 2016, it seems obvious that was an outlier shooting year for Green; he shot 38.8% from 3 year that year; in the rest of his career, he is 30.6% from 3. So if you are talking about a versatile defensive player of the year guy who is also a great passer and can make 38% from 3, well, that's an unbelievable player. But when you remove the good shooting from that, he's still a very good player but I would rather have Melo.

They are 2 really different players; one guys gets most of his value from scoring, the other, very little.

Good points for sure. If nothing else is known, who are you taking green or melo? It’s just so absurd to even ask that question. One is top 15 in scoring ever!!!!

I get that, but just to devils advocate a little; you could also say one is a key player on maybe the greatest team ever and has 3 rings, and the other made it to the conf finals once.

I'm not saying I totally believe that POV, but it is true.

I get that, but just to devils advocate a little; you could also say one is a key player on maybe the greatest team ever and has 3 rings, and the other made it to the conf finals once.

A biased friend from MSU has had the audacity to tell me if green was the guy he would avg 20 and close to a triple double. Well we saw it this year with no klay, Steph, durant. Was he banged up? Maybe. But give me a break. Dude cannot shoot!

Would anyone take Draymond Green over Melo in their prime years? A buddy made a Facebook poll of this And people actually chose green. Clearly some orange bias here but that’s a joke right?

Draymond played with the greatest shooterever and a man who fundamentally changed the geometry of the game and won MVPs. He also played with Klay who is arguably a top five shooter of all time.

that’s not counting the KD years.

GTFOH with that. The guy was never a top two player on a team. Melo will end up a top ten scorer of all time.

Put green as a #1 on any team and his career is a yawn.

He’s arguably the most overrated player of the 2010s.

Last edited:

Its not even close. Green was a unique player, but the Warriors were also the perfect team for him. He would’ve been a borderline scrub on the 2011-16 Knicks.

Oh yeah, Draymond is also actually washed before he’s 30. People have been trying to throw dirt on Melo for years, but he can still play.

If prime Melo played with Steph, KD, and Klay, they wouldve won it every year regardless of “fit”.

Draymond played with the greatest shooterever and a man who fundamentally changed the geometry of the game and won MVPs. He also played with Klay who is arguably a top five shooter of all time.

that’s not counting the KD years.

GTFOH with that. The guy was never a top two player on a team. Melo will end up a top ten scorer of all time.

Put green as a #1 on any team and his career is a yawn.

He’s arguably the most overrated player of the 2010s.

What a joke.
Thank you. He was a perfect fit in a perfect situation.

I dealt with idiots who would claim that Tyson Chandler was the best player on the Knicks, that Pablo Prigioni needed more shots(and this was Melo’s fault), and that Melo ran Jeremy Lin out of NY because he was jealous. Melo is farting on everybody right now with this late career victory lap.

I dealt with idiots who would claim that Tyson Chandler was the best player on the Knicks, that Pablo Prigioni needed more shots(and this was Melo’s fault), and that Melo ran Jeremy Lin out of NY because he was jealous. Melo is farting on everybody right now with this late career victory lap.
If not sharting.

While it’s not a long list, it’s cool to see all of the current Syracuse NBA players in the playoffs.

Grant, MCW, Dion, and Melo right? Not bad. Haven’t seen MCW in the box scores lately, is he hurt? He has low key played a really nice role for that team this year.

Grant, MCW, Dion, and Melo right? Not bad. Haven’t seen MCW in the box scores lately, is he hurt? He has low key played a really nice role for that team this year.
Both MCW and Brissett are hurt. It’s six if you count BJ Johnson.

I responded in the other thread already with what I think is the national consensus. My opinion is that if you're picking a guy to build a team around, Melo is more capable of that than Draymond is. If you have a team put together and want someone that can blend in and take it to the next level, I think Draymond is the better choice.

I think Melo is the better individual player. I do think that people could argue (and I'm not entirely sure they're wrong) that if you're starting a team from scratch, Draymond might be the better choice because Melo isn't good enough to actually build a team around so you could just take Draymond while trying to find an actual star through other means. I'm not entirely sure I buy that...I think Melo could have won big in the NBA if he had better teams around him.

Like I said, Melo, to me, is the better individual player. I don't think it's laughable to prefer Draymond though. They're both likely Hall of Famers IMO (though Melo is a lock whereas it's much more debatable with Draymond, especially with the way he seems to be declining).

Last edited:
I would hope Memphis wins the draft lottery a kid like Wiseman is exactly what they would need to be really good.

Outside of Sacramento and Minnesota who absolutely would be playoff contenders in the East next year the other 13 teams are going to be battling for the playoffs.

I'm not a fan of Wiseman personally; it's a waste to take a big man like him at the top of the draft IMO. At any rate, they're pretty much set with Valanciunas and Clarke in the front court; they desperately need help on the wings. I don't think there's an obvious fit for Memphis in this draft honestly...maybe Devin Vassell or something.

I responded in the other thread already with what I think is the national consensus. My opinion is that if you're picking a guy to build a team around, Melo is more capable of that than Draymond is. If you have a team put together and want someone that can blend in and take it to the next level, I think Draymond is the better choice.

I think Melo is the better individual player. I do think that people could argue (and I'm not entirely sure they're wrong) that if you're starting a team from scratch, Draymond might be the better choice because Melo isn't good enough to actually build a team around so you could just take Draymond while trying to find an actual star through other means. I'm not entirely sure I buy that...I think Melo could have won big in the NBA if he had better teams around him.

Like I said, Melo, to me, is the better individual player. I don't think it's laughable to prefer Draymond though. They're both likely Hall of Famers IMO (though Melo is a lock whereas it's much more debatable with Draymond, especially with the way he seems to be declining).

I think it was Bill Simmons(yeah, I know) who made the argument for building a champion around Carmelo using Dirk as an example. People knocked Dirk for similar reasons, until he got the right squad and everything came together. Melo never had that. Then he proceeded to list the all star seasons Melo’s teammates had, and the bench of his best Denver team. It wasn’t an impressive bunch.

Melo from like 2007-2014 probably couldve been the best player on a champion if he had the right guys around him. He just never did.

I think it was Bill Simmons(yeah, I know) who made the argument for building a champion around Carmelo using Dirk as an example. People knocked Dirk for similar reasons, until he got the right squad and everything came together. Melo never had that. Then he proceeded to list the all star seasons Melo’s teammates had, and the bench of his best Denver team. It wasn’t an impressive bunch.

Melo from like 2007-2014 probably couldve been the best player on a champion if he had the right guys around him. He just never did.

I don't think I can get there with Melo. Dirk was just way more efficient scoring and it's just hard for me to see him anchoring a title level team with his efficiency numbers.

The very frustrating thing is in 2013 it seemed like the Knicks had unlocked something with spreading the court and playing Melo at the 4 and then they just...stopped doing it.

If prime Melo played with Steph, KD, and Klay, they wouldve won it every year regardless of “fit”.

Sure but I was more thinking of the 15 and 16 teams that won 140 games in 2 years and were one game away from back to back titles without KD. You flip Melo and Green and I don't think there's any chance of that happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom