NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 131 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Is it really true Mark Jackson threw holy water on a Steph Curry injury to try and heal him?
But what happened in Denver was Melo’s fault. Karl is a petty, whiny, little bitch. I didn’t hear what Jackson said, but was he wrong? Was it Jackson who coached Team USA to one of its most embarrassing performances ever?

Smart guy do you think they just brought Johnnie Bryant in for their health ?
Johnnie Bryant is an excellent coach and does a fantastic job developing players. The Knicks are lucky to have him.

If you think Bryant delivers Mitchell though you fundamentally don't understand how NBA contracts, team control, and free agency works. Otherwise you'd understand that the chances the Knicks have to lure Mitchell to New York in free agency before like 2025 at the earliest are extremely low.

YOU can not derisively refer to one person on this planet as “smart guy”. Have some self-awareness.
Also, look -

By any objective measure I am legitimately a smart guy. Like, really smart.

Like, lesser individuals can only dream of the kind of mental horse power under the hood of my skull.

That didn't really make sense and kinda broke down, but you get what I'm saying.

Also, look -

By any objective measure I am legitimately a smart guy. Like, really smart.

Like, lesser individuals can only dream of the kind of mental horse power under the hood of my skull.

That didn't really make sense and kinda broke down, but you get what I'm saying.

I clicked like before it even fell apart. I support this.

for me, the best part of that George Karl/Mark Jackson thing was Van Exel(who famously clashed with Karl, starting at a predraft workout) laughing at Jackson’s reply.

Johnnie Bryant is an excellent coach and does a fantastic job developing players. The Knicks are lucky to have him.

If you think Bryant delivers Mitchell though you fundamentally don't understand how NBA contracts, team control, and free agency works. Otherwise you'd understand that the chances the Knicks have to lure Mitchell to New York in free agency before like 2025 at the earliest are extremely low.
I'm not 100% sure but I think DM could sign a RFA one year contract in 2022 thus becoming a UFA in 2023. Generally the RFA is for the max but if someone really wanted to leave they could sign a much smaller contract or sit out a year. However you would have to be really dumb to leave 100+ million on the table and Mitchell is too smart for that.

Good players don’t leave their teams till about 7 years into their careers now.
Rookie contracts are 4 years with the option.
Then if the player is good they take the max offer after their 4th year.
Players that want to leave usually do the player option after year 3 of their max rookie extension.

Donovan Mitchell is is likely going to sign the 5 year 130 million offer this summer and if he wants to leave would have a player option the last 2 years.

He isn’t joining the Knicks via FA till about the summer of 2025.

I'm not 100% sure but I think DM could sign a RFA one year contract in 2022 thus becoming a UFA in 2023. Generally the RFA is for the max but if someone really wanted to leave they could sign a much smaller contract or sit out a year. However you would have to be really dumb to leave 100+ million on the table and Mitchell is too smart for that.
I suspect he won't even hit RFA. And while what you described could happen, it would be completely unprecedented. What's the shortest a player has ever signed for on that second contract maxed? Kevin Love for 4 years with the Timberwolves?

Good players don’t leave their teams till about 7 years into their careers now.
Rookie contracts are 4 years with the option.
Then if the player is good they take the max offer after their 4th year.
Players that want to leave usually do the player option after year 3 of their max rookie extension.

Donovan Mitchell is is likely going to sign the 5 year 130 million offer this summer and if he wants to leave would have a player option the last 2 years.

He isn’t joining the Knicks via FA till about the summer of 2025.

That's totally fine. Emoni Bates will have a few years for us under his belt by then.

Anthony Edwards shot 40% from the field and 29% from 3?

Thats the best player in the draft?

Jay Bilas was on last night explaining that he's the #1 prospect in the draft and his only weaknesses are making shots, making good decisions, taking smart shots, and defending.

To me, Tyrese Haliburton is currently the best player in the draft but LaMelo is the best prospect.

Would Cade Cunningham and Jalen Green be the top two picks in this year's draft if they were eligible? I think they might be.

It's hilarious -- and classic "kismet" that a lousy franchise like the T-Wolves "win" the lottery the year that there is no clear top flight talent.

Some years you get LeBron or Tim Duncan, some years you get Olowakandi or Anthony Edwards.

It's hilarious -- and classic "kismet" that a lousy franchise like the T-Wolves "win" the lottery the year that there is no clear top flight talent.

Some years you get LeBron or Tim Duncan, some years you get Olowakandi or Anthony Edwards.

Olowakandi’s draft was actually good though. That was just the NBA mentality back then of picking size over everything else and the Clippers being the Clippers. You had Carter, Pierce, Dirk, Jamison, Bibby, etc. come out of that draft.

Twolves took Derrick Williams second in the Kawhi/Kemba/Klay Thompson draft.

Olowakandi’s draft was actually good though. That was just the NBA mentality back then of picking size over everything else and the Clippers being the Clippers. You had Carter, Pierce, Dirk, Jamison, Bibby, etc. come out of that draft.
Yep. You can find guys that can play in every draft. Just have to be smart enough to ID them and develop them.

Some teams have zero ability to do that. Other teams, that's the only way they can hope to compete.

Jay Bilas was on last night explaining that he's the #1 prospect in the draft and his only weaknesses are making shots, making good decisions, taking smart shots, and defending.

To me, Tyrese Haliburton is currently the best player in the draft but LaMelo is the best prospect.

I sent that exact quote to my buddy right after Bilas said that. Hilarious. The top guy on his board! He just needs to work on his efficiency, shot selection, and he has to try on defense. Sign me up
I suspect he won't even hit RFA. And while what you described could happen, it would be completely unprecedented. What's the shortest a player has ever signed for on that second contract maxed? Kevin Love for 4 years with the Timberwolves?

If Mitchell was dead set on leaving the Jazz (im not saying he is, i have no reason, Gobert antics aside, to think he wants to leave), he could turn down the Jazz offers, not sign an offer sheet, and take a 1 year deal after his fourth year. He would be an UFA after his fifth year.

But like, no one does that. I think David Lee did back in like 2009, but he's not Donovan Mitchell. The Jazz are going to presumably throw a max extension at him and he's almost certainly going to sign it. Going the one year deal really never does happen, you're turning down so much guaranteed money. Plus, stars have so much leverage now, even if he wanted to leave, he could just sign the max and then in like a year start agitating for a trade anyway.

If Mitchell was dead set on leaving the Jazz (im not saying he is, i have no reason, Gobert antics aside, to think he wants to leave), he could turn down the Jazz offers, not sign an offer sheet, and take a 1 year deal after his fourth year. He would be an UFA after his fifth year.

But like, no one does that. I think David Lee did back in like 2009, but he's not Donovan Mitchell. The Jazz are going to presumably throw a max extension at him and he's almost certainly going to sign it. Going the one year deal really never does happen, you're turning down so much guaranteed money. Plus, stars have so much leverage now, even if he wanted to leave, he could just sign the max and then in like a year start agitating for a trade anyway.
Yup. Too much $$$ on the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom