NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 132 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Yup. Too much $$$ on the table.
Players don’t leave now till their second payday.
Unless they are traded.

Rookie contract 3 years.
4th year option.
Then either get extension. Studs get 5 years with the possibility of opt outs.

The opt outs are how they get to
Cash in 3 times.

The only players to turn down the Supermax offers are Anthony Davis,Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard.

Kemba was Eligible for it but wasn’t offered it.
The player who has given up the most in FA has been Kevin Durant.
His investments have covered his player salary losses.

It's hilarious -- and classic "kismet" that a lousy franchise like the T-Wolves "win" the lottery the year that there is no clear top flight talent.

Some years you get LeBron or Tim Duncan, some years you get Olowakandi or Anthony Edwards.

Man screw that. This is the 3rd time in 6 years the Wolves have had the #1 pick. I don't care if it's potentially not a great draft; they've had way more chances than they should to get this right lol

I sent that exact quote to my buddy right after Bilas said that. Hilarious. The top guy on his board! He just needs to work on his efficiency, shot selection, and he has to try on defense. Sign me up

If Mitchell was dead set on leaving the Jazz (im not saying he is, i have no reason, Gobert antics aside, to think he wants to leave), he could turn down the Jazz offers, not sign an offer sheet, and take a 1 year deal after his fourth year. He would be an UFA after his fifth year.

But like, no one does that. I think David Lee did back in like 2009, but he's not Donovan Mitchell. The Jazz are going to presumably throw a max extension at him and he's almost certainly going to sign it. Going the one year deal really never does happen, you're turning down so much guaranteed money. Plus, stars have so much leverage now, even if he wanted to leave, he could just sign the max and then in like a year start agitating for a trade anyway.
Greg Monroe is the last that I remember to do go this route and sign a max the following year

I wish Utah had more than Gobert to offer Philly for Embiid.
Embiid with Mitchell could be interesting.
The West next year is insanely deep.

The Jazz wouldn't make that trade anyway.

Not sure either side would do it, but theoretically, Utah could send Gobert, Ingles, and O'Neale. I tend to think Utah wouldn't go for it, but they might need to mix things up a bit similar to Portland and Philly (though I don't think Utah should be as desperate as those two).

Not sure either side would do it, but theoretically, Utah could send Gobert, Ingles, and O'Neale. I tend to think Utah wouldn't go for it, but they might need to mix things up a bit similar to Portland and Philly (though I don't think Utah should be as desperate as those two).
No way the Jazz would do that.

They talk a lot about "Jazz DNA." They want guys that are focused on becoming the best basketball players they can. The whole organization is geared around supporting the players with that singular focus. Gobert, Ingles, and O'Neale are arguably the three guys on the roster that most clearly exhibit Jazz DNA.

They aren't trading that for Embiid, an oft injured center that arguably doesn't upgrade their 5, depletes depth, and exhibits basically zero "Jazz DNA."

No way the Jazz would do that.

They talk a lot about "Jazz DNA." They want guys that are focused on becoming the best basketball players they can. The whole organization is geared around supporting the players with that singular focus. Gobert, Ingles, and O'Neale are arguably the three guys on the roster that most clearly exhibit Jazz DNA.

They aren't trading that for Embiid, an oft injured center that arguably doesn't upgrade their 5, depletes depth, and exhibits basically zero "Jazz DNA."
You think Mitchell is going to forgive Gobert?

I don’t.
Mitchell is the future and I think if he wants Gobert moved the Jazz will move him.

Seems like the Raptors and Celtics will both be able to "cruise" to a certain degree to the second round.

The last half of the bubble games were deeper rotation games at the end, and this series didn't ramp things up to much for Toronto. So I would have been worried, but it seems like Philly is about to fold as well, so both teams are in similar situations.

I don’t.
Mitchell is the future and I think if he wants Gobert moved the Jazz will move him.
I think interesting things are coming up for sure.

The thing is, there is a dollar value that Mitchell can put on whatever he feels towards Gobert, and how tolerable or not that may be. That's going to be reflected in whatever the next contract he signs looks like. And once the contract is signed, it's up to the team how they handle it. Gobert is coming up for a new contract soon too, and the Jazz will have decisions to make as to what they feel the value of that deal should be since Gobert qualifies for supermax, but it's probably limiting to pay him that much.

The Jazz aren't a "rock the boat" organization. If they make a franchise altering move like trading Gobert, it would be unprecedented. Not saying it's impossible, but they trade guys in, not trade key guys out.

We'll see what happens. Lots of stuff could happen. The likelihood of Mitchell joining the Knicks anytime before 2025 is next to zero, despite Runner's fantasyland thinking.

Greg Monroe is the last that I remember to do go this route and sign a max the following year

I am vaguely remembering this now. What kind of deal was he offered that he passed on, if you reemmeber?
I know KP's camp used the threat of doing the 1 year QO as leverage to get traded

First round is shaping up to be pretty lame. OKC and Philly are flopping. No Sabonis, so Indy looks like they won’t really compete. When the 3-6 and 4-5 series’s go that way, it’s going to be a lame round.

First round is shaping up to be pretty lame. OKC and Philly are flopping. No Sabonis, so Indy looks like they won’t really compete. When the 3-6 and 4-5 series’s go that way, it’s going to be a lame round.
Lakers blazers is going to be a classic and the 2nd round will be much better.

I am vaguely remembering this now. What kind of deal was he offered that he passed on, if you reemmeber?
I know KP's camp used the threat of doing the 1 year QO as leverage to get traded

There were rumors they offered him 5 years $60 million, but I believe he said that was false. Honestly not sure. I just know that's how he ultimately became an unrestricted free agent and signed with the Bucks.

Denver-Utah will probably end up being the best series. Hoping Portland can at least take it to 6, but they were thoroughly dominated last night and Dame's injured thumb is a big question mark.

Denver-Utah will probably end up being the best series. Hoping Portland can at least take it to 6, but they were thoroughly dominated last night and Dame's injured thumb is a big question mark.

Clips-Mavs has been surprisingly competitive so far. Hope it stays that way.

Denver vs.Portland in the bubble would be a first to 150 wins.
Denver might have a worse defensive team than Portland which is spectacularly bad.

I turned this game on early in the first, and I thought to myself "im gonna pay close attention to Michael Porter, I know he has a rep for being awful on defense" and I kid you not, the first play he loses Donovan Mitchell in transition for an alley oop

Philadelphia’s process was a proper experiment but it was just horribly executed.
They took Nerlens Noel, Jahill Okafor, Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, Markell Fultz.

It’s amazing they had that many top picks and only came out of it with Embiid and Simmons.
In a wing driven league they took way too many bigs.

Brent Brown is -500 to get fired after this series and I am tempted to bet it.

I turned this game on early in the first, and I thought to myself "im gonna pay close attention to Michael Porter, I know he has a rep for being awful on defense" and I kid you not, the first play he loses Donovan Mitchell in transition for an alley oop
Jokic’s attempted defense on Gobert is where Utah got early separation. Gobert dominated to start this game and Joker couldn’t stop him from going to straight line drives.

I don’t.
You need to watch the games closer. They have had no issues on the court. They weren't close before this and won't be close after this but on the court they are making sweet music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom