NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

this isn’t true. Houston wasn’t asking for a review. They were just complaining and saying it went in. To ask for a review, you have to call a timeout and then twirl your finger. At least based on the tv angles, they called a timeout and then spent the timeout complaining instead of challenging.

they certainly did not ask for a challenge the second it occurred. They were just saying it went in.

I agree there's no way this protest holds up, but I will (slightly, I guess) defend the Rockets

"As to could the play have been reviewed, it is a reviewable matter, but you have a window of 30 seconds to challenge the play during that timeout that he had and while they were protesting the call, trying to get clarification of it, that window passed. So therefore, it elapsed, and they were not able to do it."

D'Antoni, who spoke to the media before the pool report was released, had a different account of the referees' explanation immediately after the play.

"I have no idea," D'Antoni said. "I heard that they said the ball hit James and went back through, so it was a goaltend on James. I challenged that, and I didn't get a response. Then another guy said it wasn't a goaltend; it went out of bounds on us. And I said, 'Well, I challenge that.' Can't do that. You know, I don't know, to answer your question. I've got nothing. I can't tell you."

It sounds like maybe they were trying to figure out what the call was in order to challenge it? I dunno.

I agree there's no way this protest holds up, but I will (slightly, I guess) defend the Rockets

It sounds like maybe they were trying to figure out what the call was in order to challenge it? I dunno.

I don't think that really matters honestly. Regardless of what the call was, they knew what they were going for: getting two points. All they had to do was twirl their finger.

I don't think that really matters honestly. Regardless of what the call was, they knew what they were going for: getting two points. All they had to do was twirl their finger.

Yeah it's really confusing, I'll give you that.

On a side note, I absolutely loved when the challenge rule was first being reported and it was said you had to "twirl your finger". the idea of that being in the official rules slays me

Yeah it's really confusing, I'll give you that.

On a side note, I absolutely loved when the challenge rule was first being reported and it was said you had to "twirl your finger". the idea of that being in the official rules slays me
giphy.gif

They really need to call that a travel along with all the other travels they don't call. People I know who like basketball, but hate the NBA will point out to me these are the reasons they don't care to watch. It hurts the product.

They really need to call that a travel along with all the other travels they don't call. People I know who like basketball, but hate the NBA will point out to me these are the reasons they don't care to watch. It hurts the product.
Back in the day when Dolph Schayes, Henry Finkel, Bob Weiss, Butch Komives, Micheal Ray Richardson, Charles Barkley & MJ we’re playing, it was a much-better product because the refs called every travel, every foul. Never missed a call.

Last edited:
Back in the day when Dolph Schayes, Henry Finkel, Bob Weiss, Butch Komives, Micheal Ray Richardson, Charles Barkley & MJ we’re playing, it was a much-better product because the refs called every travel, every foul. Never missed a call.

And they played DEFENSE. And were PHYSICAL.

Wrong. The people I am talking about are in their 20’s and 30’s. By the way ratings are down this year. Why is that?

Wrong. The people I am talking about are in their 20’s and 30’s. By the way ratings are down this year. Why is that?
Because of that missed travel. I’m going to boycott the NBA now, too.

Didn’t know ratings were down. I wonder how much of that is the Golden State effect?

I think that and LBJ playing on the West Coast and the best player in the league being in Milwaukee.

National TV games by team so far:

1. Clippers - They've had one of their stars play 24+ minutes in 5 of 9 national TV games, so basically half their televised games you have no reason to tune in (outside of just liking good team basketball).
2. Celtics - They've played the Hornets, Warriors, and Kyrie-less Nets.

Tied for 3rd:
Lakers - 2 of their 5 national TV games have been against Golden State and New Orleans.
Mavs - 4 of their 5 national TV games have been against New Orleans, Golden State, or the Knicks.
Pelicans - There's no reason anyone would want to watch them.
Rockets - No good reason for people to not be watching aside from maybe not wanting to watch a free throw parade.
Warriors - There's no reason anyone would want to watch them other than to make fun of them.

The Bucks and 76ers have combined to have as many TV games as any of those teams tied for 3rd.

I think ratings were down last year as well, but this year in particular, the national TV games have just been terrible matchups for the most part and they haven't even featured the MVP frontrunner.

NBA ratings are down because its an 82 game season and nobody is going to watch every game.
The NFL and college football are the only sports where ratings won't go up and down.
Basketball, baseball, hockey, TV shows are all going to down.

People can't be bothered to care about that many games. Lakers,Clippers, Bucks, 76ers, Celtics when the Knicks and Bulls are good will get ratings

comeback player award: melo or dwight howard?
Dwight’s had far more opportunities to play so far, based on what I’ve seen, he’s the “feel-good” comeback player a quarter of the way into the season.

Plus, his purple hair rocks.

Cause the Lakers haven't had a lot of TNT games? Plus the Pelicans getting a million national tv games without Zion can't help. (I know, rhetorical question)

The travel was terrible, I think both the ref and Lebron just blacked out or something. That gets called 99% of the time.

comeback player award: melo or dwight howard?

Melo plays a bigger role on his team and thus puts up more numbers. If Portland makes the playoffs, with Melo putting up similar numbers to now, then I think it’s him.

Dwight has been doing it all year, playing a slightly smaller but still very important role for a championship contender so he’ll certainly have a strong argument if he keeps it up.

Great to see both guys rewriting the narratives that had gotten quite negative on them in recent years.

NBA ratings are down because its an 82 game season and nobody is going to watch every game.
The NFL and college football are the only sports where ratings won't go up and down.
Basketball, baseball, hockey, TV shows are all going to down.

People can't be bothered to care about that many games. Lakers,Clippers, Bucks, 76ers, Celtics when the Knicks and Bulls are good will get ratings

The NBA's reliance on cable -- not traditional over-the-air networks like the NFL -- and cord-cutting haven't helped, either.

Is there a reason there isn’t a TNT doubleheader tonight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom