NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

I buy that. And those steps. Especially at the end, they were so slow. Younger athletic Ewing was really before my time, so all I really saw was that guy, the lead footed jump shooting C. But he was my guy, and I'll still get into fights with my dad about him vs Clyde for greatest Knick ever.

I saw a twitter discussion about Ewing recently, throwing out the idea that he probably would at least have some 3's in his arsenal if he was playing now.
What's funny is I think you're right, his game was predictable but it was adaptable. I definitely think Ewing could have developed a decent three bomb.

Would love to know what Ewing's career would have been like if his knees had stayed healthy. Seemed like he had two basically non-functioning knees for a good amount of his career, yet he was still a perennial all-star.

Would love to know what Ewing's career would have been like if his knees had stayed healthy. Seemed like he had two basically non-functioning knees for a good amount of his career, yet he was still a perennial all-star.

Yeah, like I mentioned, it's really hard for me to reconcile the lead footed Ewing I saw when I was a kid with the guy he was at Gtown and his early NBA years. Just a complete defensive game wrecker

Oakley and Dolan both look like clowns here. Grow up and act your age.

Oak’s always been pretty goofy though. I remember him attacking Tyrone Hill and Jeff McInnis before games. I hated him when he was the grumpy old man in Toronto, always griping about everything.

I cannot wait for this documentary at 9pm. So excited. I need this fix.

And I am here for the MJ v LeBron arguments (MJ, obviously).

MSG was showing some games from the 99 Knicks playoff run last night. Really brought back some good memories. I was 15, the Knicks were going to the finals. Life was good. (in hindsight, the basketball was certainly pretty bad, but they were winning)

One thing that really stood out watching the Pacers series was Marcus Camby; the dude was flying around. And then I thought about it, all the other big guys in that series (Ewing before he was hurt, LJ, Chris Dudley, Kurt Thomas, Rik Smits, the Davis bros, Sam Perkins) were big slow guys. Totally different game now

MSG was showing some games from the 99 Knicks playoff run last night. Really brought back some good memories. I was 15, the Knicks were going to the finals. Life was good. (in hindsight, the basketball was certainly pretty bad, but they were winning)

One thing that really stood out watching the Pacers series was Marcus Camby; the dude was flying around. And then I thought about it, all the other big guys in that series (Ewing before he was hurt, LJ, Chris Dudley, Kurt Thomas, Rik Smits, the Davis bros, Sam Perkins) were big slow guys. Totally different game now

I recall Camby and Sprewell as the driving forces behind that run.

I listened to the podcast about this. It seemed like Chad Ford was exaggerating what was going on.

I listened to the podcast about this. It seemed like Chad Ford was exaggerating what was going on.

Agreed (weight & his entourage). Chad Ford has been out of the mainstream game for a while now.

If true... interesting that West would've taken D.Wade at 2 if Memphis had the pick. And that the Pistons would've taken Bosh at 2 (if they passed on Darko).

Last edited:
Agreed (weight & his entourage). Chad Ford has been out of the mainstream game for a while now.

If true... interesting that West would've taken D.Wade at 2 if Memphis had the pick. And that the Pistons would've taken Bosh at 2 (if they passed on Darko).

They also talked about the 2009 WCF. There really is a totally different world if Denver beats the Lakers in the 09 WCF. They had a real opportunity to be up 3-1 or even go 4-0 (not that I ever would have expected them to be able to sweep the Lakers).

Then, if they win that series, they face ORL and definitely have a chance at beating them.

I know it's a lot of What Ifs. But if Melo wins that year, his whole narrative is different.

I think what hurts Ewing is that so much if his scoring looked exactly the same. Post up, two super slow dribbles, turn into the lane.

Every time.

I'm not knocking it. It was effective. It just wasn't the sort of dynamic stuff other stars brought to the table.
What hurt him was not having that 2nd great player to play with. Stark's was probably. The best player he played with. John is my all time favorite knick but he was far from great.

What hurt him was not having that 2nd great player to play with. Stark's was probably. The best player he played with. John is my all time favorite knick but he was far from great.

They usually had a solid veteran PG(Harper, Doc Rivers) but if they held onto Rod Strickland he probably would’ve been his best teammate. Could probably make that argument for Mark Jackson too.

Fans forget the 97 Knicks were actually really good. That was the year they went out and got Allan Houston, Chris Childs, and Larry Johnson. If Ewing, Starks and Johnson don't come off the bench after Charlie Ward started a brawl in Game 5 of the ECSF the Knicks probably beat the Heat and would have put up a better fight against Chicago than Miami did. The Knicks split their matchups with the Bulls during that season.

So... there still talk about trying to finish the season sometime late summer?

You know that is a joke based on something MJ actually did?

No...missed it I guess. Lol.

I remember a story about MJ talking to an injured Byron Scott before and game, and MJ asked who was guarding him. Byron told him “Anthony Peeler”. And Jordan replied, “Oh. 50.”

lol. And then I believe he actually did score 50+ that night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom