NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 106 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

Popped in here to comment on that GS game but the above posts did not disappoint.

GS with two close losses. Steph with 14 straight before Draymond went full send late.

I guess he was anticipating SA would foul so he tried to time it. This is a leap, by the way.

He is a big point of discussion in some group chats I have with NBA-knowledgeable friends. Clearly still functional on D and can facilitate o. Anything on offense outside of that though... brutal.

(One of those people is a Mich St alum... so you can imagine he's very unbiased in his takes)

Last edited:
Popped in here to comment on that GS game but the above posts did not disappoint.

GS with two close losses. Steph with 14 straight before Draymond went full send late.

I guess he was anticipating SA would foul so he tried to time it. This is a leap, by the way.

He is a big point of discussion in some group chats I have with NBA-knowledgeable friends. Clearly still functional on D and can facilitate o. Anything on offense outside of that though... brutal.

5 years ago he shot 49/39. It's like the monstars stole his scoring ability slowly over time.

"Draymond, you have 8 seconds left and your teammate is the best shooter in the history of the sport."
"Hold my beer."

I cannot get over that video caption. It's hilarious.

The further we get from 2016, the more obvious the 49/39 percentages were flukes for Draymond, but still. It's scary bad now.

I still love watching him play. He's such a great passer and defender.

The further we get from 2016, the more obvious the 49/39 percentages were flukes for Draymond, but still. It's scary bad now.

I can't think of any modern comparison to him as a player in terms of his position, stats and skill set.

He’s simply an above average role player at this point, imo. Almost entirely for his defensive ability. As you said, he’s very effective playing to his strengths. I simply can’t get by the 5ppg though.

Dennis Rodman
Similar skill set though? Draymond is often the Warriors primary ball handler and racks up tons of assists whereas Rodman rarely took more than one or two dribbles at a time.

He at least shot 44 and 45 percent the two years after. He’s at 33 percent now and 39 last year! I’ve never seen anything like this.

He at least shot 44 and 45 percent the two years after. He’s at 33 percent now and 39 last year! I’ve never seen anything like this.

And he's combining it with never shooting! He's taking 8.9 field goals per 100 possessions now, in his glory shooting days he was closer to 13-14; you'd think by limiting the number of shots you take the remaining ones would be of a higher quality. Also funny because his FT shooting hasn't really fallen off at all.

Just a totally wild player. I get the Rodman comp on one level, both were great defensive players, but Green is also a really good playmaker. This is an awful comp and I dont even mean it, but Bill Russell was a pretty good assist guy and played some defense as well...

Similar skill set though? Draymond is often the Warriors primary ball handler and racks up tons of assists whereas Rodman rarely took more than one or two dribbles at a time.
Dennis Rodman could pass the ball.
Detroit Rodman didn’t need to handle the ball because of Isiah and Dummars.

Bulls Rodman became obsessed with rebounding.

Green’s game is a modern Rodman.

Dennis Rodman could pass the ball.
Detroit Rodman didn’t need to handle the ball because of Isiah and Dummars.

Bulls Rodman became obsessed with rebounding.

Green’s game is a modern Rodman.

I mean, the Warriors have had some guys who were ok with the ball

Rodman's most assists per 100 was 4.7; Green has been over 10 the last 6 seasons. There is definitely something there with the defensive versatility though.

If Draymond played for anyone else but the Warriors nobody would know who he was. His best asset is his gift for gab. He was a plus defender and passer but his overall ability has been juiced up because he was fortunate enough to play with a great team.

Draymond is unique in that he can be an incredibly valuable piece, but probably only in certain situations. And then the drop off on the value he brings when he isn’t in those situations is probably pretty steep.

I think if he went to say Portland and anchored their defense while running screen and rolls with Dame and CJ and helping facilitate they’d improve a good deal. Clippers are another one where he’d raise them up a level. Boston, Brooklyn, Houston are others where I think he’d be a huge value add off the top of my head.

Draymond is unique in that he can be an incredibly valuable piece, but probably only in certain situations. And then the drop off on the value he brings when he isn’t in those situations is probably pretty steep.

I think if he went to say Portland and anchored their defense while running screen and rolls with Dame and CJ and helping facilitate they’d improve a good deal. Clippers are another one where he’d raise them up a level. Boston, Brooklyn, Houston are others where I think he’d be a huge value add off the top of my head.

Draymond, maybe weirdly even more now than when he was at his peak, is a player who I think is very additive to a good team, but doesn't move the needle much on a bad team. Most of the stuff he is good at is very interactive with high level teammates, he is a fantastic passer and he's a very versatile defender; but he is now basically a terrible scorer. An average to bad team is likely to have more of a need for volume scoring than a very good team, and Draymond isn't going to help you all that much. But you put him on a really good team, and he can help in a number of ways that aren't duplicated by other guys. You can only have so much volume scoring; you can never have too much good passing or guys who can guard 3 or 4 positions at an all league level. (granted his shooting is so bad now he probably takes a fair amount off the table with that)

Draymond, maybe weirdly even more now than when he was at his peak, is a player who I think is very additive to a good team, but doesn't move the needle much on a bad team. Most of the stuff he is good at is very interactive with high level teammates, he is a fantastic passer and he's a very versatile defender; but he is now basically a terrible scorer. An average to bad team is likely to have more of a need for volume scoring than a very good team, and Draymond isn't going to help you all that much. But you put him on a really good team, and he can help in a number of ways that aren't duplicated by other guys. You can only have so much volume scoring; you can never have too much good passing or guys who can guard 3 or 4 positions at an all league level. (granted his shooting is so bad now he probably takes a fair amount off the table with that)

Completely agree. I mean if you’re a team with 2-3 high level guys who can score, the fact there’s a guy out there who can takeover a game for spurts at a time in so many ways be it rebounding, passing, steals, defensive activity and isn’t going to really care if they shoot much is almost too good to be true.

I can't think of any modern comparison to him as a player in terms of his position, stats and skill set.
Outside of his good year shooting, Rodman comes to mind. Guy was a crazy smart player, but he stayed in his role.

Heat have won 4 straight, looks like they're making their move to get back to being competitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom