NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 213 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

The Bucks 22% shooting from 3 tonight was actually their best Game 1 performance of the playoffs so far, and about on par with their normal shooting nights this postseason. It’s just incredible how bad they’ve shot the entire postseason.

No idea why Connaughton was in over Lopez (or Portis) at the end.

Capela gets board/putback, then air balls a three.
Bucks were trying to switch everything defensively at the end and can’t do that with Brook/Portis. The media is going to focus on the floaters against the drop coverage, and how Atlanta ran it over and over again, but the Bucks defense held them to average efficiency because those floaters aren’t actually very efficient. The issue, as it’s been pretty much the entire postseason, is that the Bucks have gone from a 40% 3 point shooting team on open shots to making roughly 20% of those in the playoffs and that’s going to make it very difficult to win. They found a way against Brooklyn (and finally shot it well in Game 7). We’ll see if they can overcome the shooting yips against Atlanta, but that’s a far bigger issue than the defense which was actually fine tonight.

Bucks were trying to switch everything defensively at the end and can’t do that with Brook/Portis. The media is going to focus on the floaters against the drop coverage, and how Atlanta ran it over and over again, but the Bucks defense held them to average efficiency because those floaters aren’t actually very efficient. The issue, as it’s been pretty much the entire postseason, is that the Bucks have gone from a 40% 3 point shooting team on open shots to making roughly 20% of those in the playoffs and that’s going to make it very difficult to win. They found a way against Brooklyn (and finally shot it well in Game 7). We’ll see if they can overcome the shooting yips against Atlanta, but that’s a far bigger issue than the defense which was actually fine tonight.
I get the angle...and I know Portis and Lopez weren’t great on the high screen as they were showing on inside the nba ...but I just didn’t see what Connaughton was bringing on offense

I get the angle...and I know Portis and Lopez weren’t great on the high screen as they were showing on inside the nba ...but I just didn’t see what Connaughton was bringing on offense
He wasn’t bringing anything offensively tonight. The other two didn’t really either. Portis looks unplayable to me. Brook was fine; he forced Trae into the floater and was pretty good about contesting those without giving up the alley oops. That’s what the Bucks defense should be aiming for. With Portis, he didn’t contest the floaters while also giving Atlanta easy Alley oops every time. He can’t be on the court at the same time as Trae.

Going small played right into Atlanta’s hands because they have two tenacious rebounders and when we go small, we have 1.

LMAO

He's so terrible. That show he has early mornings with fellow bafoon fat faced Keshawn Johnson is hate watch material. he is about as unlikable as it gets. does espn do any screenings ? cause if they did honest screenings, theyd realize he is must not watch tv.

what i find annoying about the Inside the NBA crew (ernie excluded) is they tend to always put down the accomplishments before praising them. young goes off for a huge game and all they are talking about is what the Buck's didn't do or should have done rather than giving the man his just props. they do this ALL THE TIME

He wasn’t bringing anything offensively tonight. The other two didn’t really either. Portis looks unplayable to me. Brook was fine; he forced Trae into the floater and was pretty good about contesting those without giving up the alley oops. That’s what the Bucks defense should be aiming for. With Portis, he didn’t contest the floaters while also giving Atlanta easy Alley oops every time. He can’t be on the court at the same time as Trae.

Going small played right into Atlanta’s hands because they have two tenacious rebounders and when we go small, we have 1.

Ehh I get not playing Lopez. He was getting torched early. He ended up -14. I actually thought Portis was solid, especially offensively. You hit the nail on the head regarding the Bucks shooting. I thought Huerter really bothered Middleton and prevented him from getting anything easy.

That said Atlanta didn't shoot it great either and that would be concerning to me from a Bucks standpoint.

its always harder in the playoffs

Ehh I get not playing Lopez. He was getting torched early. He ended up -14. I actually thought Portis was solid, especially offensively. You hit the nail on the head regarding the Bucks shooting. I thought Huerter really bothered Middleton and prevented him from getting anything easy.

That said Atlanta didn't shoot it great either and that would be concerning to me from a Bucks standpoint.
Huerter is just a straight up damn good basketball player. He’s not Klay Thompson, but with his length, athleticism and shooting ability… he’s a similar kind of guy.

Lots of people, making lots of injury excuses, as to why teams aren’t around anymore… but the Hawks are doing this without Hunter and with a banged up Bogdanovic.

Fantastic roster depth with guys like Lou Will and Gallinari.

Lots of people, making lots of injury excuses, as to why teams aren’t around anymore… but the Hawks are doing this without Hunter and with a banged up Bogdanovic.

And still somehow have a bench mob of Lou Will, Gallinari, Solomon Hill and Okwongu.

Agreed. I think Collins/Trae/Huerter are the key though. They have to play as much as possible.

Lou Will and Gallinari can give you points but they are going to give up a lot too.

No offense to him, but I can’t believe they got away with Hill playing as much as he did last night.

Agreed. I think Collins/Trae/Huerter are the key though. They have to play as much as possible.

Lou Will and Gallinari can give you points but they are going to give up a lot too.

No offense to him, but I can’t believe they got away with Hill playing as much as he did last night.
Agreed.. I think the Hawks have to keep those three together and let them grow into the future as well. Paying Collins the max may be a stretch, I don’t know, but that dude is all heart and along with Trae Young, can become the face of Atlanta pro sports as the Falcons/Braves just spin their wheels.

its always harder in the playoffs
It should be harder to generate open shots. You shouldn't see a team go from shooting 40% on wide open 3's to 20% though. That doesn't really happen outside of this year's Bucks team. It's really unexplainable.

It should be harder to generate open shots. You shouldn't see a team go from shooting 40% on wide open 3's to 20% though. That doesn't really happen outside of this year's Bucks team. It's really unexplainable.

The Bucks are 30% from 3 in the playoffs? Giannis is a big culprit why their percentage is way down. He's shooting 18% and is attempting over 4 a game.

Middleton had a rough game yesterday. It happens.

Obviously Holiday's shooting is way down compared to the season, but he also shot quite a bit higher than his career percentage this year.

And your 2 best shooters from a percentage standpoint have had their minutes cut wayyyy back(Forbes and Portis). Plus losing Donte hurt.

Huerter is just a straight up damn good basketball player. He’s not Klay Thompson, but with his length, athleticism and shooting ability… he’s a similar kind of guy.

And Huerter was coming off the bench for a stretch during the season until injuries forced him back into the starting lineup. He is just a smart player. +15 in 36 minutes last night. Just needs to get stronger on the defensive end. But he is only 22 so plenty of time to get stronger. Hawks have a nice young core.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom