NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 237 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

I'm sure this isn't an exhaustive list, but I was thinking Lebron could do it. Maybe Bill Russell? Dwight Howard maybe?

Deandre Ayton is a 7 footer, and Giannis was able to get back and block his shot. Just an all time play. And it took ESPN like ten minutes to show a replay!

My best guess at who could have done what he did against Ayton (btw, I'm also counting that his hedge made Devin Booker, an all star, opt to pass v shoot it as part of it):

Guys Im guessing that could have done it that I never saw live:
Wilt
Russell

Guys I've seen:
Bron (I think he clearly has the athleticism and instincts, but I'm not 100% sure he can get to that apex from that recovery)

Anthony Davis

I'm not sure about Dwight. NBA is so different than the style when he was winning DPOYs over and over. I don't know if he could have made it.

Guys I wouldn't bet against, but not sure with their size they could have done it, but their defensive instincts were so good I would never say never.
Kawhi (at his defensive peak)
Pippen

Last edited:
Hakeem is a really good call.

Wilt too, he probably could've done it. Unless he had 5 fouls and was going to protect himself from fouling out... (Honestly, the fact that he never fouled out of a game kinda has to be a bad thing, right?)

I also think there's a question as to how many players actually WOULD do it even if they physically were capable. Giannis couldn't care less about ending up on the wrong end of a poster but I feel like most players wouldn't have even bothered to put their body at risk for that play because it seemed like such a low percentage of pulling it off.

I’ll be honest...I tend to remember his stiff kneed 15 foot jumper years, first. Not sure why. But yeah, I agree that young Ewing is a good name to bring to the table here.

Yeah for sure, the Ewing i really remember basically couldnt move. But Gtown/early Knicks Ewing was a defensive force. He was basically comped to Bill Russell as a prospect, in terms of the potential to be an all time defender. The offense seemed to be more of a question mark.

Yeah for sure, the Ewing i really remember basically couldnt move. But Gtown/early Knicks Ewing was a defensive force. He was basically comped to Bill Russell as a prospect, in terms of the potential to be an all time defender. The offense seemed to be more of a question mark.
I’d toss in a kid from Akron, Nate Thurmond, along with a host of others on the all-time block list. NBA All-Time Blocks Leaders - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Okay, I'm officially done with all the talk radio nonsense. "The Bucks have the momentum..." Such nonsense, unless you were saying the Suns had the momentum after the first 2. As has been said a hundred times in this thread, both teams held serve at home, in large part thanks to the crowd and the differences in refereeing. Yes, Chris Paul has been hounded. At home he was allowed to push Holiday's clutch and grab defense off with his off hand. In Milwaukie, not so much. If it happens in Phoenix that he gets called for the offensive foul for doing that, series is over and the Bucks win.

One last thing. On the Giannis block. First off, incredibly intelligent play by Giannis to get back there, and the athleticism is surely freak-level. But, and there's always a but with me, I put more than 50% blame for that on Booker. That casual pass led to a few things happening. Hear me out on this. The pass should have gone closer to the front of the rim. With where the pass ended up, Ayton had to reach back and that opened his shoulders to Giannis, right shoulder turning toward Giannis, allowing the Greek Freak to block the ball without much if any impact on Ayton's right hand. Had the ball gone closer to the front of the rim, Ayton completes the play quicker, and Giannis would have had to go through Ayton's right arm to get to the ball.

Finally, had Booker tossed up a shot there, I think he converts the bucket, or Ayton gets the rebound and finishes.

Okay, I'm officially done with all the talk radio nonsense. "The Bucks have the momentum..." Such nonsense, unless you were saying the Suns had the momentum after the first 2. As has been said a hundred times in this thread, both teams held serve at home, in large part thanks to the crowd and the differences in refereeing. Yes, Chris Paul has been hounded. At home he was allowed to push Holiday's clutch and grab defense off with his off hand. In Milwaukie, not so much. If it happens in Phoenix that he gets called for the offensive foul for doing that, series is over and the Bucks win.

One last thing. On the Giannis block. First off, incredibly intelligent play by Giannis to get back there, and the athleticism is surely freak-level. But, and there's always a but with me, I put more than 50% blame for that on Booker. That casual pass led to a few things happening. Hear me out on this. The pass should have gone closer to the front of the rim. With where the pass ended up, Ayton had to reach back and that opened his shoulders to Giannis, right shoulder turning toward Giannis, allowing the Greek Freak to block the ball without much if any impact on Ayton's right hand. Had the ball gone closer to the front of the rim, Ayton completes the play quicker, and Giannis would have had to go through Ayton's right arm to get to the ball.

Finally, had Booker tossed up a shot there, I think he converts the bucket, or Ayton gets the rebound and finishes.

I think this is fair and I agree that Milwaukee won't get as favorable a whistle in Phoenix. That's usually how this works.

Just heard Kevin Love is dropping out of the Olympics.

Last edited:

He was called for one offensive foul in Milwaukee and it wasn't even against Jrue. More likely, Milwaukee just won't be allowed to play as physically in Phoenix as they were in Milwaukee, though Game 2 was pretty similar to the games in Milwaukee as far as that goes so who knows

Totally agreed that the momentum stuff is BS and that Booker's pass allowed Giannis to make the play.

Dislike.

Unless the Lakers get him.

He wants to go to his hometown, or NY, LA, or Miami huh? You don’t say, lol. Don’t we all, Dame. Dont we all.
He would look so good in Celtic green...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom