NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

Based on what Utah received for Gobert the haul for Durant should be massive if the Nets play it right.

So I kinda agree and I don't. He is locked up for 4 years, but he's also locked up for 4 years right now and he's asking for a trade. Why wouldn't he do the same thing if he got traded to a team he didnt want to play for? He's on a team he doesnt want to play for right now and hes asking for one!

I would argue that Durant "forcing" a trade right now is largely mutual. I think the Nets were content to move on, and I suspect Durant sensed that. I think they are tired of pushing with this group, and who can blame them.

I think there are maybe 8-10 teams in the league where Durant can go and would not be an immediate flight risk, even if he has a few favourite destinations. I think he just wants a team that is pushing to win, and may have not "given up".

And I don't blame the Nets at all if they have given up and are looking to re-boot.
- Irving has been flaky
- Harden was a disaster
- Simmons has been flaky
- Durant may not have been easy to deal with at time

Not that I feel bad for Nets management either - they put together the team with the many risks associated, and now have to deal with the consequences.

If the Nets are frustrated with the situation and no longer want to push to win with these elements, or believe they can't win with these elements, what is the point of keeping a 34 year old superstar. Probably the best for all parties to re-boot at this point.

Last edited:
I would argue that Durant "forcing" a trade right now is largely mutual. I think the Nets were content to move on, and I suspect Durant sensed that. I think they are tired of pushing with this group, and who can blame them.

I think there are maybe 8-10 teams in the league where Durant can go and would not be an immediate flight risk, even if he has a few favourite destinations. I think he just wants a team that is pushing to win, and may have not "given up".

And I don't blame the Nets at all if they have given up and are looking to re-boot.
- Irving has been flaky
- Harden was a disaster
- Simmons has been flaky
- Durant may not have been easy to deal with at time

Not that I feel bad for Nets management either - they put together the team with the many risks associated, and now have to deal with the consequences.

If the Nets are frustrated with the situation and no longer want to push to win with these elements, or believe they can't win with these elements, what is the point of keeping a 34 year old superstar. Probably the best for all parties to re-boot at this point.

I don't know. I see where you're going with it, but the Nets don't control their first round pick for the next five seasons. Granted, the Kyrie/KD era hasnt gone the way the team envisioned it (to say the least) but the Nets would still be a title contender if they kept the team together. (How viable a contender is up for debate, but if you have KD/Kyrie you're at least in the convo). It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me for the Nets to want to move on unless Durant wants to. You can't even bank on bottoming out because you don't have your picks.

I don't know. I see where you're going with it, but the Nets don't control their first round pick for the next five seasons. Granted, the Kyrie/KD era hasnt gone the way the team envisioned it (to say the least) but the Nets would still be a title contender if they kept the team together. (How viable a contender is up for debate, but if you have KD/Kyrie you're at least in the convo). It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me for the Nets to want to move on unless Durant wants to. You can't even bank on bottoming out because you don't have your picks.
It's a brutal situation. This year is the only year they could really tank because Houston is gonna be awful too and only has a pick swap this year. After that they're pretty screwed. Hard to formulate a plan that works.

Last edited:
It's a brutal situation. This year is the only year they could really tank because Houston is gonna be awful too and only has a pick swap this year. After that they're pretty screwed. Hard to formulate a plan that works.

RIght, and if they trade Durant, it's going to be to a good team that doesnt have any good draft capital to send your way. Thats why I have to think if Durant wanted to be here at all they would just move forward and try and win for the next year or two.

They would need to at least figure out a way to duck the tax and reset the count on that. They did do a hell of a job rebuilding after the KG/Pierce trade.

It's a brutal situation. This year is the only year they could really tank because Houston is gonna be awful to and only has a pick swap this year. After that they're pretty screwed. Hard to formulate a plan that works.
RIght, and if they trade Durant, it's going to be to a good team that doesnt have any good draft capital to send your way. Thats why I have to think if Durant wanted to be here at all they would just move forward and try and win for the next year or two.

They would need to at least figure out a way to duck the tax and reset the count on that. They did do a hell of a job rebuilding after the KG/Pierce trade.

It’s a bad situation but it’s being minimized because they are getting out of it early.

if you look at the old Brooklyn team all the value of their players (Garnett, Pierce, Williams) was gone before they could trade them. They are going to get a massive package for Durant, a few goodies for Kyrie and maybe a couple firsts for Simmons. Way ahead of the game this time.

Like the Clippers, Lakers, Heat, the Nets are a free agent and preferred trade destination. That aspect of building had worked for all of teams. They are going to get plenty of draft and young capital from the Durant deal and even Irving deal that they can flip in a few years. And I am sure they are setting up themselves to have huge cap space again.

If they make these moves, They are well ahead of where they were after the Billie King disaster era.

The Lakers did get some low picks which they flipped, but they also never received anything for Kobe.

Furthermore with no picks the next few years they don’t have to worry about how good a player is now and how it might impact tanking. They can actually build and retain credible young players without worrying about tanking. Of course I would prefer the picks, but the Nets can stay at 35-45 win level which may actually help them get more value from the players ultimately.

Last edited:
So Pelicans giving Zion 193 mil with a supermax clause.

85 games played and definitely injury concerns and risk. Tough situation if you are NO as well risking giving up on a potential superstar but stil..

85 games played and definitely injury concerns and risk. Tough situation if you are NO as well risking giving up on a potential superstar but stil..
I'm guessing that insurance will cover if he misses entire seasons.

My favorite team. Have to do it and show the commitment. No other choice really. Got a lot of positive momentum and not getting the extension done this off-season would have created a black cloud over all next year. Have to bite the bullet and hope for the best.

Keegan Murray with a nice debut. I think he will be a solid player when real play starts.

Not a fan of guys getting their bag, and then forcing their way out. It’s one thing to tell them you plan on leaving in free agency when your contract is almost up. Quite another to do it with many years left on the deal.

Very few guys built to be a franchise player in this generation.

I’d love to see Durant in Toronto and watch how Masai builds around him

Durant may have some bitterness from Game 5 of the 2019 Finals when he got injured in Toronto and there was some people cheered. He did take a few passive shots at Toronto fans in tweets the year after the finals Or it could well not bother him at all anymore - he is so sensitive at times

If you remember the event there was a loud crowd pop when Durant went down, as it led to the Raptors stealing the ball going on a fast break and scoring. Many in the media largely misrepresented this claiming al; the fans cheered at once when Durant went down - no they cheered at once because we had stolen the ball and scored. That being said as the play ended, and it was clear that Durant was really hurt, there was still a few more yahoos than I would have liked that were cheering the injury. Which was unfortunate.

Durant may have some bitterness from Game 5 of the 2019 Finals when he got injured in Toronto and there was some people cheered. He did take a few passive shots at Toronto fans in tweets the year after the finals Or it could well not bother him at all anymore - he is so sensitive at times

If you remember the event there was a loud crowd pop when Durant went down, as it led to the Raptors stealing the ball going on a fast break and scoring. Many in the media largely misrepresented this claiming al; the fans cheered at once when Durant went down - no they cheered at once because we had stolen the ball and scored. That being said as the play ended, and it was clear that Durant was really hurt, there was still a few more yahoos than I would have liked that were cheering the injury. Which was unfortunate.
Probably better for the “H0T Takes” thread but I find that people who do this usually never played sports themselves.

Based on what Utah received for Gobert the haul for Durant should be massive if the Nets play it right.
Gobert wasn't forcing his way out and the Jazz didn't have to trade him. The Nets have little leverage since Durant already said he's gone. Expect an underwhelming package back full of bottom of the first round draft picks and a couple mediocre players with some flotsam. Can't say the Nets didn't get what they deserved. The NBA is so crazy, a league where the inmates run the asylum.

Gobert wasn't forcing his way out and the Jazz didn't have to trade him. The Nets have little leverage since Durant already said he's gone. Expect an underwhelming package back full of bottom of the first round draft picks and a couple mediocre players with some flotsam. Can't say the Nets didn't get what they deserved. The NBA is so crazy, a league where the inmates run the asylum.
What did the Nets do wrong?

They tried to build a contender?

I have a feeling Windhorst memes will be used a lot over the next year as people push various trades, signings, conspiracies

The variance in odds on the Durant markets is significant. A few people have posted odds of +350 on their sites, but BetRivers still has it at +800 ... although they are not allowing bets greater than $48 on that.

Last edited:
Bulls just signed Goran Dragic for the vet minimum. Solid guy to have on the bench, but they need a backup PF imo. Roster is full (for now). They have 4 centers, so it'd be nice if they could trade and/or salary dump Tony Bradley. One of these guys would be a nice addition to the bench: TJ Warren, Serge Ibaka, Markieff Morris, LaMarcus Aldridge, Montrezl Harrell.

Signing Goran Dragic doesn't mean the Bulls are moving Coby White at least not short term. It means they want additional depth for cautionary reasons and to help offset some of Lonzo minutes. Obviously a priority this season should be making sure Lonzo is healthy for the playoffs.

Put their faith in Kyrie!
I can't believe I'm defending Kyrie, but when they added him he was coming off a season where he was 2nd team all NBA and seemingly entering right into his prime. He was a little less weird then too. I don't think the ballad of Kyrie Irving had been fully realized yet at that point.

And they got Durant as a package deal.

If the Nets went wrong, you can look at 2 screw ups - 1, they could have gotten way more out of their salary cap than the contract they gave DeAndre Jordan. And 2, the Harden trade was a dumpster fire. It simultaneously trashed their depth (which became more important with the Kyrie factor) and killed their future drafts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom