NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

Bulls just signed Goran Dragic for the vet minimum. Solid guy to have on the bench, but they need a backup PF imo. Roster is full (for now). They have 4 centers, so it'd be nice if they could trade and/or salary dump Tony Bradley. One of these guys would be a nice addition to the bench: TJ Warren, Serge Ibaka, Markieff Morris, LaMarcus Aldridge, Montrezl Harrell.

Signing Goran Dragic doesn't mean the Bulls are moving Coby White at least not short term. It means they want additional depth for cautionary reasons and to help offset some of Lonzo minutes. Obviously a priority this season should be making sure Lonzo is healthy for the playoffs.

As a Raptors fan, pardon my vulgarity, but eph Goran.

As a Raptors fan, pardon my vulgarity, but eph Goran.
It looks like he only played 5 games for Toronto. What was the deal? I don't recall.

I know the Mavs wanted to sign him now and seemed like the favorites to do so.

It looks like he only played 5 games for Toronto. What was the deal? I don't recall.

I know the Mavs wanted to sign him now and seemed like the favorites to do so.

I was surprised he didn't go to the Mavs, because he made that clear that is where he wanted to go last year -- was seeking a trade or buyout. But there was nothing on the trade front that made any sense - Mavs wanted to move us players with contracts that extended beyond the end of the 2022 season.

When Goran was traded to Toronto last summer, he talked to a Slovenian newspaper and said "I have higher ambitions than playing in Toronto". Of course that quickly got back to Toronto and put him on bad footing with the fanbase immediately

He then left the team about 20 games into the season to hang out in Miami and practice again until we bought him out. To be fair to Goran, the Raptors weren't really playing him either because he was burnt defensively. He was a professional while has on the bench and in training camp until he left - I have to give him that.

Later in the year, the night the Raptors were eliminated in the playoffs, he posted a tweet with several laugh emoji's in reference to our loss. (I suspect he was irritated by many fans who posted things mocking him after he went to Brooklyn and got swept)

All that being said, if you ignore Goran's defence, Goran is probably a valid #8-#11 type guy on an NBA roster at this point and he still has some offensive game. Not a bad pickup

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm defending Kyrie, but when they added him he was coming off a season where he was 2nd team all NBA and seemingly entering right into his prime. He was a little less weird then too. I don't think the ballad of Kyrie Irving had been fully realized yet at that point.

And they got Durant as a package deal.

If the Nets went wrong, you can look at 2 screw ups - 1, they could have gotten way more out of their salary cap than the contract they gave DeAndre Jordan. And 2, the Harden trade was a dumpster fire. It simultaneously trashed their depth (which became more important with the Kyrie factor) and killed their future drafts.

Honestly, I dont even really think they did that much, if anything wrong. But it sure is funny to look at it now.

Kyrie has obviously gone full Kyrie since he showed up in Brooklyn, though the signs were already there. But he was their pathway to getting Kevin Durant. You do it, you hope it works out. It didn't, and here we are. If the Knicks could've gotten those 2 instead of the Nets I would have been all in favor of it. It just didnt work.

Honestly, I dont even really think they did that much, if anything wrong. But it sure is funny to look at it now.

Kyrie has obviously gone full Kyrie since he showed up in Brooklyn, though the signs were already there. But he was their pathway to getting Kevin Durant. You do it, you hope it works out. It didn't, and here we are. If the Knicks could've gotten those 2 instead of the Nets I would have been all in favor of it. It just didnt work.
Yeah, that's why I think the Harden trade was the real misfire.

I have a feeling Windhorst memes will be used a lot over the next year as people push various trades, signings, conspiracies
I saw that whole Windy thing live the other day and thought... the memes. Haha.

There have been some good ones already.

All this sudden KD back to the Warriors discussion makes me think he regrets leaving. Don’t think the should mortgage their future for him at all at this point.

Sir Charles is right. KD is a bus rider not the bus driver. What a way with words.

Whoa whoa whoa, as the biggest Laker (not LeBron) hater on this board, let me clarify something: I want them to get Irving. You’re telling me the Lakers will have to sacrifice what’s left of their depth and more first round draft picks for this train wreck? Please make this happen. The Lakers are devolving into the Knicks and I’m here for it.

If Bill SImmons was a Raptors fan what would he think of someone that proposed the following offer for Kevin Durant

Scottie Barnes (Rookie of the Year)
Pascal Siakam (2 time All NBA (2nd. 3rd)
2+ First Round Picks
2+ First Round Swaps

Because Bill Simmons claimed yesterday that was the only fair and reasonable offer the Raptors could make for Durant.

If the trade gets done I am prepared that one of Barnes or Siakam leaves.

But what kind of biased homer underrates his opposition so much that he thinks that (Barnes + Siakam +_bunch of picks) is fair... or that the Raptors don't have other good current player assets to attach to Barnes for example.

Of the 19 seasons of it so far, the NBA champion has three times paid the highest amount of luxury tax in the league. Conversely, on five occasions, the champion has paid nothing at all.

Total tax spend has spiked sharply in the last, let's say, twelve months. The Golden State Warriors spent $170,331,194 in luxury tax alone last season, more than the league-wide total of any previous season except the first one, 2002/03, when the threshold was still guesswork.

The top five seasons for total league-wide luxury tax payments all time:
2018/19: $156,666,606
2003/04: $157,212,990
2020/21: $160,009,546
2002/03: $173,313.440
2021/22: $481,021,386
Bit of a crescendo at the end there.

Top five NBA luxury tax-paying teams of all time, measured by total spend:

1) Golden State Warriors: $337,841,573

2) Brooklyn/New Jersey Nets: $297,855,872

3) New York Knicks: $248,542,987

4) Dallas Mavericks: $226,053,588

5) L.A. Lakers: $167,754,452

And, since I know you're wondering: the bottom five NBA luxury tax-paying teams of all time, measured by total spend:

26) Houston Rockets: $5,632,243

27) Atlanta Hawks: $4,382,199

28) Detroit Pistons: $756,627

=29) Charlotte Hornets: $0

=29) New Orleans Pelicans: $0

** Bulls 24th spending $8.1m (one of the biggest markets but spends like a small market city)

Edit: To be fair, spending big doesn’t always equate to success and rings. For the Warriors and Cavs, yes, but when have the Knicks ever been “good” during those 20 years? Or the Nets? You have to spend smartly.

Last edited:
Knicks can't do anything right. Glad we're going to be fighting for that 8 seed this year.

They already cleared about six second rounders to clear cap space for the guy. (which I don't think is terrible asset management) What's a seventh -- assuming the penalty is a second rounder.

They already cleared about six second rounders to clear cap space for the guy. (which I don't think is terrible asset management) What's a seventh -- assuming the penalty is a second rounder.

If the goal is to just make the playoffs each year, sure.

Leon and Wes were supposed to clean up our culture to appeal to big time stars for us to sign with their connections.

None of it is happening.

We aren't bad enough to get a top 3 pick. We aren't appealing enough to get one of the top tier guys.

Best case we land, what, D Mitchell down the line? Maybe add a KAT if things go south with Minny?

So, I'll be fine with a team that's 40-42 and fighting for one of those last playoff spots, but let's all be honest about what where we're going.

Leon and Wes were supposed to clean up our culture to appeal to big time stars for us to sign with their connections.

None of it is happening.

We aren't bad enough to get a top 3 pick. We aren't appealing enough to get one of the top tier guys.

Best case we land, what, D Mitchell down the line? Maybe add a KAT if things go south with Minny?

So, I'll be fine with a team that's 40-42 and fighting for one of those last playoff spots, but let's all be honest about what where we're going.
Rose and Wes have been frauds - you know what guy attracts players... Ben Franklin and about a million clones. We recruited Brunson like we were a college team, even adding his Dad to the staff. Doesn't move our needle.

If Thibs stays we end the season, like you said, 40-42 and with no further idea on if Grimes, Quick, Toppin, Sims or any of our young guys can play.

None of it is happening.

I don't think the tanking to be good will necessarily work for the Knicks. There has been about 2 decades of 1990's-2000's Clippers level basketball that makes free agents not take them seriously.

The Knicks do need a culture change, but I think they may be better off following the Heat or Celtics model of trying to get and remain competitive than continuously bottoming out. The entire organization really needs to be built up.

Last edited:
My thing on the Knicks is...I don't know.

The league has flattened the lotto odds out to the point where it really takes some of the "appeal" away from tanking. You just try and do the best you can and hope a star (or two) wants out of wherever he is and you're ready to pounce. I get that's not exactly a super appealing scenario, and it's kind of exactly what happened with the Nets and look what happened to them.

The tampering stuff in this case is interesting to me, because A) obviously they tampered, and B) we're kinda talking about trying to keep sons and fathers from talking to each other? Both the Brunsons and the Roses. Very weird spot

If Bill SImmons was a Raptors fan what would he think of someone that proposed the following offer for Kevin Durant

Scottie Barnes (Rookie of the Year)
Pascal Siakam (2 time All NBA (2nd. 3rd)
2+ First Round Picks
2+ First Round Swaps

Because Bill Simmons claimed yesterday that was the only fair and reasonable offer the Raptors could make for Durant.

If the trade gets done I am prepared that one of Barnes or Siakam leaves.

But what kind of biased homer underrates his opposition so much that he thinks that (Barnes + Siakam +_bunch of picks) is fair... or that the Raptors don't have other good current player assets to attach to Barnes for example.
I don't know if I would trade Barnes, and his salary, for KD and his salary and wondering eye, straight up. KD will be a headache and want out next year.

My thing on the Knicks is...I don't know.

The league has flattened the lotto odds out to the point where it really takes some of the "appeal" away from tanking. You just try and do the best you can and hope a star (or two) wants out of wherever he is and you're ready to pounce. I get that's not exactly a super appealing scenario, and it's kind of exactly what happened with the Nets and look what happened to them.

The tampering stuff in this case is interesting to me, because A) obviously they tampered, and B) we're kinda talking about trying to keep sons and fathers from talking to each other? Both the Brunsons and the Roses. Very weird spot

I def get the lotto odds thing. And, to be fair, I think us getting a decent seed the other year threw things into a weird space.

But I just wish they hadn't come in making it seem like we could get big time FAs.

The tampering stuff is dumb. But I'm sure we were dumb about it.

The worst part is if they had just set expectations to take a bit more of a slow burn, I'd be fine. I like Jalen. I like RJ. I think Randle should be traded. I like some of the other young guys.

But it's a weird spot with young guys, Jalen Brunson, Thibs as coach, etc.

I def get the lotto odds thing. And, to be fair, I think us getting a decent seed the other year threw things into a weird space.

But I just wish they hadn't come in making it seem like we could get big time FAs.

The tampering stuff is dumb. But I'm sure we were dumb about it.

The worst part is if they had just set expectations to take a bit more of a slow burn, I'd be fine. I like Jalen. I like RJ. I think Randle should be traded. I like some of the other young guys.

But it's a weird spot with young guys, Jalen Brunson, Thibs as coach, etc.
Thibs is 100% the wrong coach.

So it's summer league and you don't want to make much of it but in his first quarter of NBA exhibition Chet made 3 threes and scored 13 points and is pretty much kicking ass and it's really fun to see.

He stuffed Tacko Fall and this isn't the best pic but this was the ensuing jump ball.

PXL_20220706_012413242.jpg

So it's summer league and you don't want to make much of it but in his first quarter of NBA exhibition Chet made 3 threes and scored 13 points and is pretty much kicking ass and it's really fun to see.

He stuffed Tacko Fall and this isn't the best pic but this was the ensuing jump ball.

View attachment 218166
If he gets this shot down nobody is guarding him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom