NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

Maybe a hot take but I would prefer a package headed by RJ then one that is just all the picks

Yeah I could see where you're coming from, especially after previous Knicks front offices threw first round picks around for complete garbage (a first for Bargnani, two firsts for Eddy Curry, two firsts for Marbury and Penny and a first for crippled Antonio McDyess). On the other hand, the first round picks they did use were also used for garbage (Sweetney, Frye, Gallinari, Hill, Ntilikina, Knox).

At least they have some draft capital to work with here though, even if there are protections on a bunch of those picks. Also, at least Donovan Mitchell in return would appear to be much better than what they received in those previous awful deals. Ugh, it's hard being a Knicks fan.

Yeah I could see where you're coming from, especially after previous Knicks front offices threw first round picks around for complete garbage (a first for Bargnani, two firsts for Eddy Curry, two firsts for Marbury and Penny and a first for crippled Antonio McDyess). On the other hand, the first round picks they did use were also used for garbage (Sweetney, Frye, Gallinari, Hill, Ntilikina, Knox).

At least they have some draft capital to work with here though, even if there are protections on a bunch of those picks. Also, at least Donovan Mitchell in return would appear to be much better than what they received in those previous awful deals. Ugh, it's hard being a Knicks fan.

Ideally they'd be able to include one or two of those protected one's in a Mitchell deal, but I'm sure they're also going to have to hand over one or two (at least) unprotected Knicks picks. Which is, uh, scary.

Maybe a hot take but I would prefer a package headed by RJ then one that is just all the picks
I agree. Also I am not a fan of 2 smurf guards leading your team. I know Mitchell is athletic but he's dreadful on D and Brunson is a smurft. Not a lot of past champions with tiny guards.

I’m in the opposite camp. I’ll be surprised if RJ is included. Sounds like Utah is focused on Grimes instead.

I was trying to come up with a package with my buddy that would A) not make me want to kill myself and B) I could talk myself into Utah accepting I was thinking something like 2 of IQ/Obi/Grimey, 1 of the protected ones they have coming in and 2 knicks ones. Plus Fournier or whatever to get the salaries.

I agree. Also I am not a fan of 2 smurf guards leading your team. I know Mitchell is athletic but he's dreadful on D and Brunson is a smurft. Not a lot of past champions with tiny guards.

Two 6'1" guards that are on the "doesn't care about defense at times" to "passable" won't be great, for sure.

Two 6'1" guards that are on the "doesn't care about defense at times" to "passable" won't be great, for sure.
I for one am thrilled for all of you.

I know Mitchell has the ability to be much better though. Too athletic to drift on that end so much.

I know Mitchell has the ability to be much better though. Too athletic to drift on that end so much.
Thibs will love the D from our two highest paid guys. Maybe he leaves and we get addition by subtraction

I didnt realize Mitchell was quite so short, I always had it in my head he was more like 6'3. I have no idea why.

I am already preparing for people to drag the Knicks for trading 5 (I'm making up the number) firsts without pointing out how many and what kind of protections are on some of them. They own some protected picks from other teams that I am sure will be a part of the deal

I didnt realize Mitchell was quite so short, I always had it in my head he was more like 6'3. I have no idea why.

I am already preparing for people to drag the Knicks for trading 5 (I'm making up the number) firsts without pointing out how many and what kind of protections are on some of them. They own some protected picks from other teams that I am sure will be a part of the deal
I actually don't think the Knicks will get dragged for whatever the deal ends up being, so long as it's not like, 8 picks.

I actually don't think the Knicks will get dragged for whatever the deal ends up being, so long as it's not like, 8 picks.

There's gonna be some who see 5 firsts or whatever and dont bother with the context.

Plus. I mean. it could be 8 firsts!

Something like Iq/Obi/23 unprotected/25 unprotected and 3 from this group

1) Dallas 23 first 1-10 protected each of the next 3 years, turns into 2025 Dallas second (will convey this year)
2) Pistons 23 first (protected 1-18 each of the next 2 years, 1-13 in 25, 1-11 in 26, 1-9 in 27. I would think this conveys in 25 or 26?
3) Bucks 25 first protected 1-4. Will almost certainly convey in 25, and in the mid to late 20s.
4) Wiz 23 first protected 1-14 in 23, 1-12 in 24, 1-10 in 26, and 1-8 in 26. Could convey this year? Probably 23 or 24.

That's ok? It feels like a lot, Mitchell isn't a consistent all NBA player or anything, but he is very good. And the only pick that has a chance of totally blowing up on you is probably the Knicks 25 first. if you get to a spot where you're swapping out one of those protected ones for an unprotected pick in 27 Im getting concerned

There's gonna be some who see 5 firsts or whatever and dont bother with the context.

1) Dallas 23 first 1-10 protected each of the next 3 years, turns into 2025 Dallas second (will convey this year)
2) Pistons 23 first (protected 1-18 each of the next 2 years, 1-13 in 25, 1-11 in 26, 1-9 in 27. I would think this conveys in 25 or 26?
3) Bucks 25 first protected 1-4. Will almost certainly convey in 25, and in the mid to late 20s.
4) Wiz 23 first protected 1-14 in 23, 1-12 in 24, 1-10 in 26, and 1-8 in 26. Could convey this year? Probably 23 or 24.

That's ok? It feels like a lot, Mitchell isn't a consistent all NBA player or anything, but he is very good. And the only pick that has a chance of totally blowing up on you is probably the Knicks 25 first. if you get to a spot where you're swapping out one of those protected ones for an unprotected pick in 27 Im getting concerned
Yeah, and I think intentionality matters here too.

I don't think the Knicks were gathering all teh picks because they expected to draft a ton of dudes. I think the Knicks have been accumulating these picks specifically to be able to make an offer to trade for a star because so far, trying to get a star via free agency hasn't been working out.

Assuming a deal gets done (I think it will, seems destined at this point) it'll be really interesting to see where the dust settles on the picks and protections.

I'm also curious to see what else the Jazz might do as the dominoes fall. Guys like Bojan and Mike Conley, Jordan Clarkson, Pat Bev... teams trying to compete could use those guys. They could help some teams a lot.

I'm fascinated too with the idea that the Jazz might be able to pull a buy low move on Sexton. Seems like a young guy with upside that the market is chilled on/nobody has cap room for him and he's feeling the squeeze. He could be like 80% of Mitchell's production at 66% of the cost.

Yeah, and I think intentionality matters here too.

I don't think the Knicks were gathering all teh picks because they expected to draft a ton of dudes. I think the Knicks have been accumulating these picks specifically to be able to make an offer to trade for a star because so far, trying to get a star via free agency hasn't been working out.

Assuming a deal gets done (I think it will, seems destined at this point) it'll be really interesting to see where the dust settles on the picks and protections.

I'm also curious to see what else the Jazz might do as the dominoes fall. Guys like Bojan and Mike Conley, Jordan Clarkson, Pat Bev... teams trying to compete could use those guys. They could help some teams a lot.

I'm fascinated too with the idea that the Jazz might be able to pull a buy low move on Sexton. Seems like a young guy with upside that the market is chilled on/nobody has cap room for him and he's feeling the squeeze. He could be like 80% of Mitchell's production at 66% of the cost.

For sure, they just traded the 11th pick for "three firsts". No question they would have more value as trade currency than as a way to draft players.

Sexton is an interesting one. He's just hanging out there. I'm not sure how invested the Cavs would be to match an offer sheet. And you could always entice with them to do a S&T with all the picks you have now.

For sure, they just traded the 11th pick for "three firsts". No question they would have more value as trade currency than as a way to draft players.

Sexton is an interesting one. He's just hanging out there. I'm not sure how invested the Cavs would be to match an offer sheet. And you could always entice with them to do a S&T with all the picks you have now.
Yeah I think it would be an S&T.

Bad situation for the Suns

suns match they can’t trade him until 1/15/23. They may lose him for nothing
That contract from the Pacers is pretty saucy.

Would have to think a Turner for Ayton S&T is a no-brainer for all sides. Supposedly they have until midnight tonight to work that out.

That contract from the Pacers is pretty saucy.

Would have to think a Turner for Ayton S&T is a no-brainer for all sides. Supposedly they have until midnight tonight to work that out.
Is Ayton that much better than Turner?

We need to get rid of Randle. If it’s Brunson, Mitchell and Randle, that is going to be awful offense.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom