NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

Just not sure if the Jazz were ever going to get over the hump. They could have stayed together and been a 47-55 win team for 3-4 more years but likely never been top NBA champ contenders. The Mitchell/Gobert issues forcing a re-build or re-tool now, will accelerate the Jazz rebuild exponentially.

Most teams would hang on and hope it works (as a Jazz fan I would want to as well), but the Jazz had a dilemma since there 2 best players apparently had a big falling out -- at that point it forced a re-tool or re-build. (Jazz fans can correct me if I am wrong on that falllout)

Typically teams re-build when a team is starting to really decline, and player trade values are way down at that point.

By being able to trade Mitchell and Gobert at their peak values, and also get values for other veterans, and keep all their own picks, they are going to get a hell of a good start on the rebuild.

And its not only Mitchell and Gobert. They got a first for Royce O'neale, and I suspect they will get late firsts for Bogdanovic, Clarkson perhaps, Beverly maybe -- possibly even Beasley and Vanderbilt.

They will probably have more firsts in their bank at the end of the season than OKC.

It's an unfortunate situation, but the rebuild is able to get of to an amazing start.
This tweet pretty much sums up the Jazz organization right now.

Day2 this is one for our side!

Reminds me of when I was at the 2002 BCS championship at the Rose Bowl. Nebraska vs. Miami. Nebraska won the coin toss and the fans went wild.

At least they won something that day.

"The Celtics consider All-NBA forward Jayson Tatum off limits in any trade talks, but Boston is able to construct a package for Durant that could include Brown and as many as three unprotected first-round picks (2025, 2027 and 2029) -- and two pick swaps (2024 and 2026). Brown, 25, has two years and $56 million left on his current contract."

I don't get it. The Celtics were two wins away from a title with this roster. Why bring in KD with all his drama (and erode your future by giving up all those draft picks) when you have a team that meshed perfectly last year.

"The Celtics consider All-NBA forward Jayson Tatum off limits in any trade talks, but Boston is able to construct a package for Durant that could include Brown and as many as three unprotected first-round picks (2025, 2027 and 2029) -- and two pick swaps (2024 and 2026). Brown, 25, has two years and $56 million left on his current contract."

I don't get it. The Celtics were two wins away from a title with this roster. Why bring in KD with all his drama (and erode your future by giving up all those draft picks) when you have a team that meshed perfectly last year.

Counterpoint:
What is the KD drama? Seems to me it's mostly driven by Kyrie?

Also. He's one of the 10 best players of all time. I know he's not young, but you gotta at least explore it. Only problem is now you may have pissed off Brown...

If t hey had Durant instead of Brown last year they're probably the champs.

Counterpoint:
What is the KD drama?
Literally every day on Twitter. ;) He's one of the greatest players of all-time but he just strikes me as immature. And it's a total unknown as to whether alphas Tatum and Durant can co-exist.

I could see making this move if the Celtics were bounced in the first round or something. But they were on the doorstep of a title. Why mess with what's working and give up all those first-round draft picks?

Literally every day on Twitter. ;) He's one of the greatest players of all-time but he just strikes me as immature. And it's a total unknown as to whether alphas Tatum and Durant can co-exist.

I could see making this move if the Celtics were bounced in the first round or something. But they were on the doorstep of a title. Why mess with what's working and give up all those first-round draft picks?

Yeah I was thinking of his twitter stuff; that is for sure weird (and he comes off as insecure) but I don't think that really has any affect on the team.

The linked cited is interesting, because I was going off the Shams report that said they offered Brown/White/one pick.

Wonder how Tatum would react to this deal? His day of alpha end the second KD hits the locker room. Is this deal due to Tatum's struggles in Finals,? Does Tatum reclaim the alpha torch in 2 years? Fun deal to discuss.

Yeah I was thinking of his twitter stuff; that is for sure weird (and he comes off as insecure) but I don't think that really has any affect on the team.

The linked cited is interesting, because I was going off the Shams report that said they offered Brown/White/one pick.

My thoughts on this potential trade:
- Cs might be worried that they got by MKE because Middleton was hurt, otherwise it may be MKE back to back and Giannis is still the best player in the league, regardless.

- With that said, to your point, things always play out differently then what was planned and they were very competitive in a Finals and it's not like they'll have to go through all the west teams, just need to beat the one in the Finals.

- Jaylen outplayed Tatum in the Finals. Not saying Jaylen shouldn't be on the trading block, but just something to consider because Tatum isn't in the elite elite level guys (at least I don't think, I go back and forth).

- KD (and Kyrie and Harden when he was there) had Brooklyn basically bend to give them a lot of stuff behind the scenes. I'm not saying you don't do that, but I am saying it could def change the culture.

- I cannot imagine Ime and KD getting along. Ime basically went at every player in the media until they got their stuff together and is clearly not a laid back/hands off guy. KD hand picked Nash.

- I have to think the Nets want Jaylen/Smart and at least three firsts. I know they won't get that, but I think it would be more than Brown/White and one pick.

Wonder how Tatum would react to this deal? His day of alpha end the second KD hits the locker room. Is this deal due to Tatum's struggles in Finals,? Does Tatum reclaim the alpha torch in 2 years? Fun deal to discuss.

I always thought he was pushing for Beal behind the scenes.

My thoughts on this potential trade:
- Cs might be worried that they got by MKE because Middleton was hurt, otherwise it may be MKE back to back and Giannis is still the best player in the league, regardless.

- With that said, to your point, things always play out differently then what was planned and they were very competitive in a Finals and it's not like they'll have to go through all the west teams, just need to beat the one in the Finals.

- Jaylen outplayed Tatum in the Finals. Not saying Jaylen shouldn't be on the trading block, but just something to consider because Tatum isn't in the elite elite level guys (at least I don't think, I go back and forth).

- KD (and Kyrie and Harden when he was there) had Brooklyn basically bend to give them a lot of stuff behind the scenes. I'm not saying you don't do that, but I am saying it could def change the culture.

- I cannot imagine Ime and KD getting along. Ime basically went at every player in the media until they got their stuff together and is clearly not a laid back/hands off guy. KD hand picked Nash.

- I have to think the Nets want Jaylen/Smart and at least three firsts. I know they won't get that, but I think it would be more than Brown/White and one pick.

I thought Udoka and Durant had a decent relationship due to the Olympics last year. Maybe I'm off on that though.

I am not sure Tatum being at the super elite level yet. You're probably right, he's on the verge, not quite there yet. Brown maybe outplayed him in the finals, but also Tatum was getting the #1 option treatment by the Warriors, and I really just don't trust Brown's handle. It's a little shaky to me.

I'm not even saying they gotta do a deal or anything, but Durant is an all time player. You gotta explore it.

I thought Udoka and Durant had a decent relationship due to the Olympics last year. Maybe I'm off on that though.

I am not sure Tatum being at the super elite level yet. You're probably right, he's on the verge, not quite there yet. Brown maybe outplayed him in the finals, but also Tatum was getting the #1 option treatment by the Warriors, and I really just don't trust Brown's handle. It's a little shaky to me.

I'm not even saying they gotta do a deal or anything, but Durant is an all time player. You gotta explore it.

Agree. I actually think KD has become undervalued in the media with all of this.

For instance, if you just magically could add KD to the Mavs, what are their new title odds? Are they the best in the league? Maybe second?

To your point, it's KD. You have to at least explore it like you said.

It wasn't that long ago (before he got hurt) people were talking about KD as an MVP candidate for last season. Granted, he did get hurt, and that is becoming a pattern, but he isn't that far away from being considered maybe the top guy in the league. He averaged 30-7-6 on 52/38/91 last season. Giannis would be my pick for best guy in the league right now, but Durant could easily be #2.

I think if you put KD on Dallas they would probably be the favorite? KD and Luka??

It wasn't that long ago (before he got hurt) people were talking about KD as an MVP candidate for last season. Granted, he did get hurt, and that is becoming a pattern, but he isn't that far away from being considered maybe the top guy in the league. He averaged 30-7-6 on 52/38/91 last season. Giannis would be my pick for best guy in the league right now, but Durant could easily be #2.

I think if you put KD on Dallas they would probably be the favorite? KD and Luka??

I'd think so. a WCF trip with the second best player being Jalen Brunson and now you are talking Luka and KD.

I agree with a lot of this. The other piece is that between him maybe feeling underpaid with his rookie extension relative to his peers and consistently being involved in trade rumors I think there’s probably a material chance Brown walks in two years.

And to MikeSU’s point, MKE took them to 7 games without Middleton and Miami came down to the last minute in game 7 as well so it’s not like they’re way out ahead of the pack from the rest of the East. A Durant and Tatum duo gives you a higher ceiling these next couple years than Tatum and Brown so make your move when the ring is in your grasp.

I agree with a lot of this. The other piece is that between him maybe feeling underpaid with his rookie extension relative to his peers and consistently being involved in trade rumors I think there’s probably a material chance Brown walks in two years.

And to MikeSU’s point, MKE took them to 7 games without Middleton and Miami came down to the last minute in game 7 as well so it’s not like they’re way out ahead of the pack from the rest of the East. A Durant and Tatum duo gives you a higher ceiling these next couple years than Tatum and Brown so make your move when the ring is in your grasp.

I've definitely seen some chatter about this; don't know how much truth there is to it, but that is another angle. Brown could walk in 2 years, you'd have Durant for 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom