NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 223 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

Just seems like everybody’s numbers were crap.

Lakers pick Hood Schifino at 17. Perimeter player who shot 33% from 3, 41% from the field. Averaged 13 ppg.

Seems like par for the course. He might be good….if he gets a lot better. But he wasn’t even a particularly good college player yet.
I am not a fan of the JHS pick either. He had some weird numbers though. If you look at his shot chart, it’s pretty promising. Weirdly struggled with the college 3 point line but was excellent from NBA range and I think ultimately just took far too many mid range jumpers to be an efficient scorer. A lot of first round picks were spent on guys that basically only project as scorers and didn’t score efficiently…JHS to his credit does at least pass decently well. I can see the idea of JHS panning out a lot easier than guys like Keyonte George and Nick Smith

I am not a fan of the JHS pick either. He had some weird numbers though. If you look at his shot chart, it’s pretty promising. Weirdly struggled with the college 3 point line but was excellent from NBA range and I think ultimately just took far too many mid range jumpers to be an efficient scorer. A lot of first round picks were spent on guys that basically only project as scorers and didn’t score efficiently…JHS to his credit does at least pass decently well. I can see the idea of JHS panning out a lot easier than guys like Keyonte George and Nick Smith
I like big guards that can pass.

But seems a little subpar athletically at that level and questionable shooter.

So….I have no idea. Like….if he gets better at basketball, he could be good. Lol. Just seems like there’s very few “ready for the NBA guys” and it makes it hard to care too much about the draft anymore. For me at least.

I like big guards that can pass.

But seems a little subpar athletically at that level and questionable shooter.

So….I have no idea. Like….if he gets better at basketball, he could be good. Lol. Just seems like there’s very few “ready for the NBA guys” and it makes it hard to care too much about the draft anymore. For me at least.
Teams still don’t really prioritize the guys that are actually ready to play in the NBA. Like Gradey Dick and Jaime Jaquez are two guys that seem like they’ll be very playable right away. Dick in particular should have gone earlier than he did IMO. And on the flipside, guys like Bilal Coulibaly who may never be able to play probably shouldn’t be top 10 picks.

So the Celtics drafted a guy who averaged 7 ppg and shot 29% from 3 as a freshman, because of his defense?

Huh? I really don’t get it.

So the Celtics drafted a guy who averaged 7 ppg and shot 29% from 3 as a freshman, because of his defense?

The higher you are ranked in HS the more chances you get to prove scouts were wrong. It's the Cam Reddish rule. Scouts hate being wrong.

He just turned 19. They're just hoping he develops. Kind of a dart throw 2nd round pick which is what most of them ultimately are. He's never been expected to be much of a scorer anyways and is a very good defender for his age.

He just turned 19. They're just hoping he develops. Kind of a dart throw 2nd round pick which is what most of them ultimately are. He's never been expected to be much of a scorer anyways and is a very good defender for his age.
I often think there's quite a bit of bias with scouts when it comes to guys that were highly rated in HS. Not only can this guy not shoot, but he can't do anything on offense. He had more turnovers than assists and ended up getting benched by a team on the bubble.

I often think there's quite a bit of bias with scouts when it comes to guys that were highly rated in HS. Not only can this guy not shoot, but he can't do anything on offense. He had more turnovers than assists and ended up getting benched by a team on the bubble.
I don’t think he’s particularly likely to be a good NBA player. No doubt teams are biased towards highly rated recruits. He certainly is not a good player right now; they’re just hoping he’s young enough (and athletic/high motor enough) to become good if he trains with their staff.

There are a lot of flat out bad college players that get drafted nowadays. Hell, some lotto/mid first round picks were spent on guys that straight up were not good in college. It’s about the elusive potential.

I don’t think he’s particularly likely to be a good NBA player. No doubt teams are biased towards highly rated recruits. He certainly is not a good player right now; they’re just hoping he’s young enough (and athletic/high motor enough) to become good if he trains with their staff.

There are a lot of flat out bad college players that get drafted nowadays. Hell, some lotto/mid first round picks were spent on guys that straight up were not good in college. It’s about the elusive potential.
Agree. At the same time I think there's guys in the Gleague who can produce in the NBA that have got very little shot. Jay Huff is the first guy that comes to mind.

Danny Ainge got John Collins for Rudy Gay’s corpse.
Solid
It's all about the money. Hawks needed to shed salaries to get under the luxury tax. Ainge jumped all over this and got him for nothing. In the Spring the Hawks wanted a Kings ransom. Now, they took a bag of balls.

It's all about the money. Hawks needed to shed salaries to get under the luxury tax. Ainge jumped all over this and got him for nothing. In the Spring the Hawks wanted a Kings ransom. Now, they took a bag of balls.

Yeah it's wild seeing some Jazz fans aren't into this trade.

They used some cap room while under the salary floor to get a pretty productive guy that's still just 25.

Plus next season they can roll out a Utall Jazz lineup.

Baller

Clippers fans don’t understand the nature of this deal. I’m seeing all these comments like, “They couldn’t trade Morris for Collins?” Well, no. Morris makes $11 million more than Gay. That’s not what the Hawks are trying to do here. I’m not even sure the Clips would want to pay Collins $75 million over the next three years.

Some even suggested Morris and Covington. Clueless.

Clippers fans don’t understand the nature of this deal. I’m seeing all these comments like, “They couldn’t trade Morris for Collins?” Well, no. Morris makes $11 million more than Gay. That’s not what the Hawks are trying to do here. I’m not even sure the Clips would want to pay Collins $75 million over the next three years.

Some even suggested Morris and Covington. Clueless.
The trade rules are fairly complex. You can read this article and not fully understand it. The part Clipper's fans need to comprehend is the Hawks didn't want any assets back. That limited their trading partners on who could absorb the Collins salary. This basically was like a free agent signing by the Jazz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom