NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 222 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

My initial thoughts after the last week and the draft:

> Wemby can’t be graded high enough. I know people didn’t watch the spurs last year, but they have some nice pieces already.

> Wizards did a great job this week. They needed to bust it all down and they are doing so. Liked the picks but more importantly no more aspiring to the 7 seed.

> Portland should move on from Dame. There is no way to make them a legit competitor with their roster and moves they can make.

> I really liked Weaver taking Ausar Thompson. That team if they stay healthy will be fun to watch.

> with all of that, here are my faves for the title next year: Nugs, Bucks, Celtics, Suns. Orbiting: Lakers, Warriors, Sixers (depending on what ends up happening). Point being, you still need an elite player. I’ll throw in my “with Luka, anything is possible with the Mavs” comment.

Back to the Spurs, they are probably a PG and a little depth away from being back to a legit playoff team.

And the Knicks did nothing... because their young players are so good? I really hope they are not planing to run it back with Randle, RJ and Brunson as their big three, because one out of those three is apparently pretty easy to stop in the playoffs and the one of those big three can't shoot.
They got Obi Toppin's brother!

I like Jackson's game a lot and totally get that his shooting is not a sign for success. My interest is in if you look at the description of Jackson's game with the two twins taken in the top 10, they are the same breakdowns. More confident in finding a shot with kids two years younger I guess.

I don't see how Jackson can be on the floor with Giannis.
Jackson definitely knows what he's doing. It's just insanely hard, maybe impossible, to make it in the NBA if you can't score at the rim, mid-range, or 3 point line. Draymond has kinda made it work, but Draymond is a significantly better shooter than Jackson and is doing it as a quasi-center so it doesn't matter as much.

Re: the twins, Amen projects as a lead ball-handler in the NBA and can pretty much get to the rim at will. He also literally might be the best athlete in the NBA right now. Basically, Amen is a 1 level scorer right now that may never expand beyond that, but between being able to get to the rim at will and being a good passer while doing it, he has a chance to be an all-star caliber player IMO. Probably a pretty small chance; he essentially needs to be come Giannis/Zion levels of dominant around the rim, but it's a chance nonetheless. Jackson has no chance of becoming that kind of player.

I'm not as high on Ausar personally; I viewed him as a late lottery/mid first round pick. He's a very good athlete in his own right but it isn't as functional as Amen's is. His jumper is much further along than Amen's (and Jackson's). I think the jumper needs to improve for him to really make it in the NBA but he's improved on it a lot over the last two years.

Re: the fit with Giannis...I'm kinda nervous Jackson might simply not be able to play with anyone. I think the level of shooting you need on the floor with Giannis is generally overrated and it's entirely possible IMO that you can be effective with Giannis even if you're a bad three point shooter. The issue is that Jackson is a bad three point shooter in addition to being hopeless in the mid-range and essentially only effective at the rim as a lob threat. I don't really think any of the two-man game stuff Jackson did in college will work in the NBA, but then again, he was doing it there with Clingan and Sanogo, not exactly floor spacers themselves.

They got Obi Toppin's brother!
Cool... another Kentucky grad and CAA player. Nothing shady there.

whatever happened to the kid they drafted out of Duke last year? Kiels? does he have a shot of doing anything? He was pretty highly recruited out of high school.

My initial thoughts after the last week and the draft:

> Wemby can’t be graded high enough. I know people didn’t watch the spurs last year, but they have some nice pieces already.

> Wizards did a great job this week. They needed to bust it all down and they are doing so. Liked the picks but more importantly no more aspiring to the 7 seed.

> Portland should move on from Dame. There is no way to make them a legit competitor with their roster and moves they can make.

> I really liked Weaver taking Ausar Thompson. That team if they stay healthy will be fun to watch.

> with all of that, here are my faves for the title next year: Nugs, Bucks, Celtics, Suns. Orbiting: Lakers, Warriors, Sixers (depending on what ends up happening). Point being, you still need an elite player. I’ll throw in my “with Luka, anything is possible with the Mavs” comment.

Back to the Spurs, they are probably a PG and a little depth away from being back to a legit playoff team.
These were two of probably my five least favorite picks of the first round (not the worst though, that was reserved for Jett Howard by a mile).

I'm not really sold on Coulibaly being a high ceiling guy. He's a good athlete in general, but once the ball is in his hands, he's pretty stiff and just undynamic. Doesn't seem to have a good feel for the game either. Doesn't project as a good shooter either. You never know how 18 year olds are going to develop, and on top of being 18, he's also grown like a foot in the last two years so maybe he's just figuring out how his body works, but I just don't like drafting guys as unproductive/passive as he was on Wemby's team. He was in the 20s on my board and I think there were a handful of similar wings that I would have taken ahead of him. The guys I would have taken in the Wizards' shoes are not similar to Coulibaly; I would have gone with Jarace Walker, Gradey Dick, or Cason Wallace personally.

As mentioned in my post about Andre Jackson, I'm relatively low on Ausar. Still a late lottery prospect though so it could have been worse.

I do not understand how Orlando landed on Jett Howard. He's a worse shooter than Gradey Dick and Jordan Hawkins and worse at everything else too. I just do not see that at all; I don't even think I had Howard in my top 30.

I don't love Derrick Lively, but Dallas did a great job with their trades and addressed some important needs IMO.

I'm not really sold on Jalen Pickett's game translating to the NBA, but I loved watching him and think he's a fun fit in Denver and Julian Strawther was one of the guys that I thought should be getting 1st round love, so it was cool to see a team I consider to be very smart "reach" on him there.

San Antonio is obviously the biggest winner of the draft though. Wemby was by far the best prospect and Sidy Cissoko is IMO a better prospect than Bilal Coulibaly while trying to address the same kind of mold.

Brandon miller has bust potential
Jordan has made a bunch of horrible selections in the draft. Last night, his last calling the shots for Charlotte, was a doozy. Not taking Scoot Henderson and going for positional need will be a huge mistake. Apparently most of the draft analysts agree.

1 Syracuse player drafted since 2017….

Man, what an awful half decade of hoops we just put up with.

Here’s hoping Judah goes round 1 next year. For his sake, of course. But our program needs it too.

These were two of probably my five least favorite picks of the first round (not the worst though, that was reserved for Jett Howard by a mile).

I'm not really sold on Coulibaly being a high ceiling guy. He's a good athlete in general, but once the ball is in his hands, he's pretty stiff and just undynamic. Doesn't seem to have a good feel for the game either. Doesn't project as a good shooter either. You never know how 18 year olds are going to develop, and on top of being 18, he's also grown like a foot in the last two years so maybe he's just figuring out how his body works, but I just don't like drafting guys as unproductive/passive as he was on Wemby's team. He was in the 20s on my board and I think there were a handful of similar wings that I would have taken ahead of him. The guys I would have taken in the Wizards' shoes are not similar to Coulibaly; I would have gone with Jarace Walker, Gradey Dick, or Cason Wallace personally.

As mentioned in my post about Andre Jackson, I'm relatively low on Ausar. Still a late lottery prospect though so it could have been worse.

I do not understand how Orlando landed on Jett Howard. He's a worse shooter than Gradey Dick and Jordan Hawkins and worse at everything else too. I just do not see that at all; I don't even think I had Howard in my top 30.

I don't love Derrick Lively, but Dallas did a great job with their trades and addressed some important needs IMO.

I'm not really sold on Jalen Pickett's game translating to the NBA, but I loved watching him and think he's a fun fit in Denver and Julian Strawther was one of the guys that I thought should be getting 1st round love, so it was cool to see a team I consider to be very smart "reach" on him there.

San Antonio is obviously the biggest winner of the draft though. Wemby was by far the best prospect and Sidy Cissoko is IMO a better prospect than Bilal Coulibaly while trying to address the same kind of mold.

Coulibaly is on the new Wizards timeline. I like him. But I’m also a person that thinks later first round guys are way overrated literally every year.

I like Ausar.

Def with you on Orlando.

Dallas has probably 40 games to fix the mess that Cuban made before Luka asks out. Still can’t believe they hired Kidd and went all in for Kyrie.

My favorite Barkley moment is still probably when he called Hedo Turkoglu, “Tito Hurkoglu”.
Mine was when he said that Isaiah Thomas “brings a different animal to the table” conflating “a different animal” and “brings something different to the table “

I’m chomping at the bit to get off the bench and get back into the game.

Nba draft picks with grades.

Skal Labissiere just called and said those who grade picks based on where guys were mocked previously (i.e. sliders get good grades, surprise picks get modest or poor grades) are ******* morons.

I find more often than not, "where a guy was mocked" is the common baseline for grading picks, which I find is a bit silly.

I would say that applies to the twins and Coulibaly this year, but that's really it in the lottery.
Just seems like everybody’s numbers were crap.

Lakers pick Hood Schifino at 17. Perimeter player who shot 33% from 3, 41% from the field. Averaged 13 ppg.

Seems like par for the course. He might be good….if he gets a lot better. But he wasn’t even a particularly good college player yet.

Lakers pick Hood Schifino at 17. Perimeter player who shot 33% from 3, 41% from the field. Averaged 13 ppg.

Seems like par for the course. He might be good….if he gets a lot better. But he wasn’t even a particularly good college player yet.
I thought for sure the Lakers would roll the dice on Whitmore.

I commend you for giving an honest assessment. Lakers Twitter acting like they drafted Tracy McGrady.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom