NCAA action Thursday | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA action Thursday

In FIBA, the foul with 1.1 in that inbounding situation IS an intentional foul.

God Northwestern twitter sucks.

How the heck did Gonzaga get the worst 8-9 seeds in the tournaments

I would pick any other of the 6 teams second round. Gonzaga is going to kill Northwestern.

When did Maryland go to those gold jerseys? They were red and white back in the day.

steveblakemaryland.jpeg

Xavier and Maryland lighting up the scoreboard at 3-2 at the first tv timeout.

When did Maryland go to those gold jerseys? They were red and white back in the day.

steveblakemaryland.jpeg

They've been like that as far back as when Gary Williams retired in 2011. Possibly longer.

You have a valid point? What is up with the avatar?

My No. 2 guys. Mrs Moo did her M.Ed. there. Lots of nice golf courses down there, too. :)

Last edited:
Then followed up by a 3, down 1.

I thought Vandy were the smart kids in the SEC.

Vandy takes stupid to a whole new level. My god Northwestern sucked, but Vandy really sucks worse.

How are we not in this tournament?

Kid really didn't think to check the score at any point in the last minute? Great final possession too. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dubm, dbum, mudb.

Well, I guess the final possession was that full court heave...that was smart too!

steveblakemaryland.jpeg
Actually, Maryland's colors were black and yellow back in the day (see the state flag). However, when Jim Tatum was named head football coach back in the late 40's, he decided he didn't like those colors and changed the uniforms to a red and white scheme. Or, at least, that is the story I heard. Over that last decade or two, Maryland has occasionally returned to their former colors, although not consistently.

Officiating today seems awful in 2 out of every 3 games. Tony Greene's performance in the Minnesota game was especially notable. I wanted Minnesota to lose, so very happy with the result, but my god, they got CHEATED.

Also, does Iowa State's defense seem to mostly foul nonstop for forty minutes? I mean, if you hedge, and don't beat the guy to the spot, why is that not a foul for them? So weird.

For example, if Iowa State was officiated like Minnesota today, that whole team would foul out before the first TV timeout. Yet, if they same crew did that game, I doubt they call them for much of anything.

Officiating today seems awful in 2 out of every 3 games. Tony Greene's performance in the Minnesota game was especially notable. I wanted Minnesota to lose, so very happy with the result, but my god, they got CHEATED.

Also, does Iowa State's defense seem to mostly foul nonstop for forty minutes? I mean, if you hedge, and don't beat the guy to the spot, why is that not a foul for them? So weird.

For example, if Iowa State was officiated like Minnesota today, that whole team would foul out before the first TV timeout. Yet, if they same crew did that game, I doubt they call them for much of anything.

Caveat: I didn't see too much of the Minnesota game. That said, most of the refs are all nominated from different conferences, and don't usually work together a lot. And a lot of times the appointments are political. So, there are always be inconsistencies. The ability to adjust in-game is critical in this tournament. Thus, two things all teams need to remember. 1.) If you force the ref to make a decision, you're stuck with the decision he makes; and 2.) If the refs are calling it, stop doing it!

Caveat: I didn't see too much of the Minnesota game. That said, most of the refs are all nominated from different conferences, and don't usually work together a lot. And a lot of times the appointments are political. So, there are always be inconsistencies. The ability to adjust in-game is critical in this tournament. Thus, two things all teams need to remember. 1.) If you force the ref to make a decision, you're stuck with the decision he makes; and 2.) If the refs are calling it, stop doing it!

I don't know how you stop committing fouls you're not committing. I mean, there were some weird calls in that game IMO.

I know you officiate, but I think it's bad protocol for officials to be folllowing coaches back into their team huddles(Tony Greene).

I know vill will come back and win this but I have been watching the game with my nine year old... I cheered for a shot and he asked dad why are you cheering against villanova...I said Im just cheering for a good game between a 16 and a 1.. He turned and looked at me and said are we watching history... I answered maybe. This is why I love March Madness!

I know you officiate, but I think it's bad protocol for officials to be folllowing coaches back into their team huddles(Tony Greene).

All depends what happened and what they're talking about. But like I said, I didn't see much of that game. And Tony gets more latitude than some others because of the "Do you know who I am?" factor. I don't mean to say I support that, just saying it's the way it is. There's a lot of pressure on newer officials (new to the tournament). Whether they move ahead is based on their evaluations after each game/round. For after each round, half of them go home, so sometimes they'll try too hard to show how they can catch every little thing.

But I'll be shocked if the guy who didn't get the shot clock violation in the Maryland-Xavier game isn't going home. That was an atrocious miss. Xavier player got a free put back off that. We can live with differences in interpretation or judgment (we always have) but we can't have a flat-out kicked call like that. :noidea:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom