ND/ACC finalizing rest of acc schedule | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ND/ACC finalizing rest of acc schedule

I agree let's uproot the entire University and relocate to New York City. Are you a season ticket holder? Do you donate to the AD?
I'm unmarried, own four season tickets, and live in DC -- will be there for Nova and Louisville -- and love the NYC games. Maybe I'll go there on a lark -- it's an easy shot. It boggles my mind how some of us dig in. I say "us" because my company drank at lunch, and also because I can't believe there's a thread that long about what 18-22 wear.

I swear to goodness I wish I could negotiate against the people fighting me.
Ha, bring it. It's a weird set that posts here -- I know umpteen Orange fans who'd never think of talking about it on the Interweb -- but Scooch, Kaiser, etc. would never agree to a deal they don't like.

USC, maybe they go to the Dome, maybe they buy it out.
P-5 schools don't buy out games against other P-5 schools.
Complete series get cancelled, games may be rescheduled, but games don't get bought out.

P-5 schools don't buy out games against other P-5 schools.
Complete series get cancelled, games may be rescheduled, but games don't get bought out.

We were Big East then.

We were Big East then.
Then let me rephrase:
"BCS schools don't buy out games against other BCS schools.
Complete series get cancelled, games may be rescheduled, but games don't get bought out."

Then let me rephrase:
"BCS schools don't buy out games against other BCS schools.
Complete series get cancelled, games may be rescheduled, but games don't get bought out."

USC fired their coach on an airport tarmac, so who knows.

Lord only knows how the conversation with Gross and USC went for this deal.

Ha, bring it. It's a weird set that posts here -- I know umpteen Orange fans who'd never think of talking about it on the Interweb -- but Scooch, Kaiser, etc. would never agree to a deal they don't like.

Hey, leave me out of this fellas.

20110911-032630.jpg

Alsacs is in NC I think...not sure if he is a CNYer by birth

UEO is from the Albany area and currently lives at a Men's Adult DayCare center in Manhattan

There is no immediate benefit to the season ticket holder. Sometimes, in life you have to swallow less than ideal now for the better later (like eating your vegetables ). There are tons of long-term benefits for the league, SU, $, etc. Plus the deal was already done and we don't know the details. That's why there have been a lot of people saying "meh" ...
I was catching up on old Rolling Stone magazines recently, and there was an interview with Bill Gates, who said (paraphrasing), "You have to make tradeoffs."

20110911-032630.jpg
Ha, my bad -- I meant Chip or Bayside. I made a killer Scooch (the Chiefs' mascot) joke in high school -- years ago -- and so it's always on the top of my mind.

I was catching up on old Rolling Stone magazines recently, and there was an interview with Bill Gates, who said (paraphrasing), "You have to make tradeoffs."
and every good trade...hurts in some capacity.

as i said before, this is one where i...and im sure the school...can sleep well on.

You have no idea on that. Syracuse isn't Boston either. Their respect for Gross could've ended at the NJ state line.

You just don't like it. The deal was done to make more money for a more viable AD.

You obviously want big time football - for what we are, there are certain things we need to do to compete. Clearly selling lower level Dome tickets isn't the answer.

I love when people bring up that a schools is playing in Boston as a comparison.

BC's biggest asset is its location. Ours, not so much. Which is why I love the Dome, gave us the press we wouldn't otherwise get if we just had some outside stadium and some basketball arena.

Despite what you think of the current ND deal with us playing at Metlife as home team, at the time it was the right deal since we were still terrible when the deal was signed. Moving forward we should be able to play Notre Dame at home or in South Bend unless ND wants to move 1 of there home games to Metlife as part of Shamrock series

If Notre Dame is a party to this Metlife contract then Gross is even an bigger idiot.

Here is the conservation Notre Dame had "UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers we want to play you guys but only if you come to South Bend and agree to play your home games at Metlife." UConn we wish we could but our state legislature won't let us, Rutgers no play us at home, Syracuse okay. Syracuse then agreed with Metlife on the dates. If ND was a party to that contract that would imply they control the gate or get more when all they are visitors.

My apologies, I was not aware you were present during the negotiations. I do hope you recorded your formal objections to this agreement at the time and the record will show that you advised Gross against such action at that time and under the circumstances as they were. Gross did what he could at the time and Syracuse needed the cash infusion and exposure. Gross was directing us towards a conference upgrade in one way or another and this was part of the plan. The Big East would improve or we would seek other arrangements, he did so. His willingness to make this deal and to think outside the box is part of what led Syracuse to the ACC. That the deal is not of as much benefit to Syrause now is immaterial, it was a very good deal then.

As for ND being part of the deal, ND had to agree to play in the Meadowlands. This fact alone makes them part of the deal. As to whether or not ND gets a part of the gate, controls seating, and any other details does not change the fact that ND is a partner to the deal. From the Meadowlands point of view, ND is a unique team and cancelling a game could initiate a legal action over specific performance under a contract theory. Anything could happen. Gross decided the benefits of following through with the deal outweigh the problems. Syracuse is still making money, getting exposure, where they want it and need it and sticking it to the B1G, playing in the B1G's new member's back yard. From ND's POV, they want to play in front of their NYC fans, if nothing else.

We see that two of the three partners (ND and the Meadowlands) in the deal have no incentive to break the deal and we see enough reason to make Syracuse at worst ambivalent about cancelling the deal, but probably leaning towards keeping the deal, what is the real issue? That we as fans want ND in the Dome does not trump everything else. ND will be in the Dome in the future. If not, so what, they stopped by once. Syracuse is 3-3 v. ND over the last 120 years. Syracuse has not needed to have ND in the Dome often for any reason.

20110911-032630.jpg
If that is your attitude, and locale, many of us will be there shortly to join you! This may be the best way to argue this thread. Do you serve wings?

Alsacs is in NC I think...not sure if he is a CNYer by birth

UEO is from the Albany area and currently lives at a Men's Adult DayCare center in Manhattan

Timely humor, Mark! Instant classic.

Alsacs said:
I agree let's uproot the entire University and relocate to New York City. Are you a season ticket holder? Do you donate to the AD?

Yes, I'm a season ticket holder. And an alumni. I want the AD to do what's best for the program, not what's best for me.

I do not give money to athletic departments, only to academic departments.

So money in the coffers has no long-term benefits to the fans? Screwing the local fan base to move games closer to alumni who live downstate, many of which make tons more money than upstate fans?

This "no benefit" crusade you've been on is a little much.

Problem is not enough of those downstate alums have showed up to these Met life games.

Problem is not enough of those downstate alums have showed up to these Met life games.
I think you're wrong there.

And 1 was on Labor Day weekend.

And to pull a cny move, if the Orange who wear blue are 3-0, the non Syracuse casual fan will show up and inflate the numbers by another 5k or so.

Giants Stadium should have north of 70k there, which is about 2.5 gates worth for the Dome.

More if you figure in avg ticket price, but again...all we care about is about 25k season ticket holders who by the luck of god, already saw nd in the Dome once and the 5k locals who never go, but might've, if it didn't interfere with Cindy's swim practice or those damn leaves.

Think of the recruits and their extended families and friends who wouldn't have made it to the Dome for a game who get to see this.

Wow. Homerun for the good doctor.

I guess it drives me crazy when you have an 'opinion' and if someone doesn't agree with you, then they're wrong.
My advice to you then is to put me on block. I don't spin I speak my opinion. If you don't like my opinion tht much ignore me.

Right or wrong, ND is in the top three biggest games of every Saturday. Why not be a part of it? I remember little about my international relations classes, but I do remember this maxim: "The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Notre Dame is stronger than us. They certainly must've said, "Play us in NYC or we'll move on." There are a bunch of "pros" for playing them there -- but at the top of the list: What if we win?

Side note: I don't think I'm alone in engaging in pop pscyhology with posters here, but the way you dig in, Alsacs, I have to know if you're a local or not. Same with Kaiser -- with whom I agree on this issue, but is a queen on the "more orange" one.
PM me I will give you my information. Your statement have been fair. I don't have anymore to say. except I have zero connection to CNY outside of my time at SU. I graduated from SU live in CharloTte, NC now and grew up in RI/MA.

My advice to you then is to put me on block. I don't spin I speak my opinion. If you don't like my opinion tht much ignore me.
Spin all you want. Voice your opinion all you want. Just don't call your opinion fact. Don't tell anyone who disagrees with you they are wrong. They just have a different opinion. You may not agree with it, but their opinion is just as valid as yours. That's what I was saying.

I would love too as you seem like a good guy. I hate the fact one person would so far to debate a point that is wrong and that drives me crazy. I don't care if people disagree if they bring it, but when people want to fight because its the indivdual talking they don't like then I recommend they ignore the debate or don't bring it weak. Your arguments have been fair but the this deal sucks IMO and that is my position.

Spin all you want. Voice your opinion all you want. Just don't call your opinion fact. Don't tell anyone who disagrees with you they are wrong. They just have a different opinion. You may not agree with it, but their opinion is just as valid as yours. That's what I was saying.
Again if my statements bother you or annoy you I recommend you put me on block so they don't. I will let you know none of my comments from my posts were ever directed at you except if I responded personally to a post you made.