Need to beat at least 2 “top” teams | Syracusefan.com

Need to beat at least 2 “top” teams

Cstate

Scout Team
I know it’s still really early…..but there are currently 9 ACC teams with a .750 winning percentage. Two additional teams (Pitt and VT) have a .692 winning percentage. All the “experts” only have 5 ACC teams making the dance. That means we will need to beat a couple of “top” teams. Not sure why we can’t….i mean ND just pounded Virginia today. But it seems like we haven’t beaten any of them in years. Fingers crossed that will change this year and we go dancing come March!

The ACC is in a much better position based on its OOC play this year as compared to 2023 and 2022.

I was doing some analysis earlier -- ACC might still be the #5 conference so far... similar to two prior years where it was #5-#7 based on various metrics, but the gap between the ACC and the top 3 performing conferences is much smaller this year than last year.

This will help ACC teams get more Q1 and Q2 wins in conference play than 2022 and 2023, and for a middle of the pack team like Syracuse that is important.

If I set an early expectation I think the ACC is getting somewhere between 5 and 7 teams (7 needing some breaks as a longer shot), while in prior years I looked at as a 4-5 bid league at this time of year. There have been teams snubbed with good ACC records like Wake and Clemson recently, but I suspect those type of teams will do better this year since they will have a few extra Q1 or Q2 wins on their resume.

I'm really not going into any game with expectations. I love our energy and I like our style of defense, but we have things to work on. We're inconsistent in the half court since we're so perimeter oriented without a lot of deep shooters. Sometimes our defense is feast or famine, especially against good pick and roll offenses, and we give up lots of offensive rebounds. When we get after it on defense and we have guys that are on offensively, we can hang with most teams. If we go into long droughts or get lackadaisical on defense, we can let games get out of reach. We've definitely grown since earlier in the year. Hopefully, we can continue to see that throughout the rest of the season.

We have been playing better than Maui but need to capitalize on winning against a good team. Need to get some Q1 wins

Playing against Girard is going to be so incredibly weird. Off the top of my head I can’t think of a comparable example of us playing against a former SU player.
All I can say is put Quadir on him. Watching Quadir pick up Hinson 94 feet and not let him breathe was unbelievable. He truly locked down and frustrated Hinson, which was evident when Hinson fouled out and chucked his headband in frustration.

I don't remember the last time we entered the new year without one bad loss (a Q3 or Q4 in tournament terms). I'm sure we have had one or two such years since the elite years that ended in 2014, but there has not been many.

No bad losses is a good start.

One of three against Duke/UNC/Clemson on the road and hold serve with Miami/Clemson/UNC at home.
Oh man, that’s a tough ask. If we could beat UNC in the Dome, that would be an incredible win. One of those three away games is not an unreasonable goal. I think Carolina is the best in the league right now. Duke might be a little weaker than usual but Flip can have his way against us. Fingers crossed!

13 conference wins is a lock, possibly 12 with a win over Duke or UNC.

I’d like to avoid the bubble this year.

All I can say is put Quadir on him. Watching Quadir pick up Hinson 94 feet and not let him breathe was unbelievable. He truly locked down and frustrated Hinson, which was evident when Hinson fouled out and chucked his headband in frustration.
I thought about that match up as well, but then who would JJ or Judah guard? Chase Hunter is a 6’4” guard so Judah or JJ would guard him…..but the remaining three on the floor for Clemson is 6’8” Schieffelin, 6’10” Wiggins, and 6’10” PJ Hall. Who would JJ or Judah guard out of that group? JG3 plays over 30 minutes a game, I don’t think Red will keep either JJ or Judah on the bench for 30 minutes. Not a great matchup for us especially since Hall shoots 40% from 3 and Schefflin will kill us on the glass.

by the time we play Clemson Westry is back, pretend he is at 100%.

If he can go we could play a small lineup with Mintz/Starling and then Copeland/Westry with Brown..

why not dream..

I thought about that match up as well, but then who would JJ or Judah guard? Chase Hunter is a 6’4” guard so Judah or JJ would guard him…..but the remaining three on the floor for Clemson is 6’8” Schieffelin, 6’10” Wiggins, and 6’10” PJ Hall. Who would JJ or Judah guard out of that group? JG3 plays over 30 minutes a game, I don’t think Red will keep either JJ or Judah on the bench for 30 minutes. Not a great matchup for us especially since Hall shoots 40% from 3 and Schefflin will kill us on the glass.
True, and remember Clemson also has to guard us. Girard having to defend our guards will be a challenge for him, to say the least.

There is no way those 3 will stay on the floor if the lineup is Judah, JJ, Copeland, Benny and Brown. The press would destroy them, and none of them could guard Copeland. He shot 13 free throws against Pitt, and might get 20 against those big guys.

It's definitely a bad matchup. PJ Hall shoots the ball well and Schieffelin is a good rebounder. I think Benny needs to have a really good game and take most of the PF minutes from JT for us to win. Also McLeod won't be able to defend Hall.

Clemson is the type of team that will put up 90 against us if we gamble too much on D. I suspect Judah will guard Joe, but Joe will guard JJ. We cannot afford the reach to play 4 on 5 against them.

Another tough one for McLeod with Hall being a perimeter player.

I know it’s still really early…..but there are currently 9 ACC teams with a .750 winning percentage. Two additional teams (Pitt and VT) have a .692 winning percentage. All the “experts” only have 5 ACC teams making the dance. That means we will need to beat a couple of “top” teams. Not sure why we can’t….i mean ND just pounded Virginia today. But it seems like we haven’t beaten any of them in years. Fingers crossed that will change this year and we go dancing come March!
yeah it will happen...this year is different

still I strongly dislike how even before the conference schedule has started...its already pre-determined how many bids each league will get

non-conf should be the appetizer not an entreee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom