Nelson and Clarke arrested | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Nelson and Clarke arrested

I also don't buy the kids have nothing to eat argument. Not saying you said that, but others were wondering. These are D1 football players who are given massive amounts of food in order to put on the weight to play the game. If they were like every other student, they would not be consuming enough calories to put on lean mass. I had a buddy who played at Cincinnati as an O-lineman. He loves to eat. He said he was given so much food, that he was sick of eating, and even forced to eat more.

Agree, they have more $$$ in supplements than your sociology major kid has in his/her 21 meals.

Wrong, people with adequate means will still steal to get that much more ahead. They weren't stealing to get a meal. God, the ignorance.

Some will because bad people will always exist. Many won't. So, not as often.

Would you get off this "meal" stuff? As if that's the only thing 19-20 year olds value.

The ignorance is all coming from you...being furious about the prospect of young people possibly having a little more money. Just odd. Why wouldn't we want the best for people?

Would you get off this "meal" stuff? As if that's the only thing 19-20 year olds value.

The ignorance is all coming from you...being furious about the prospect of young people possibly having a little more money. Just odd. Why wouldn't we want the best for people?

Whoa, you started with the argument that these kids stole bc their on campus situation is less tgan optimal and assumed they came from poor situations.

Conversely, why wouldn't we want people to bear the consequences of their actions?

Whoa, you started with the argument that these kids stole bc their on campus situation is less tgan optimal and assumed they came from poor situations.

I didn't "start an argument". I offered that as my opinion...that many of these kids don't have much, and that some of the ridiculous amount of money made off this sport should head their way. You seem pretty upset at that prospect, which I find very odd.

I didn't "start an argument". I offered that as my opinion...that many of these kids don't have much, and that some of the ridiculous amount of money made off this sport should head their way. You seem pretty upset at that prospect, which I find very odd.

Not upset, just find it rediculous that you use the fact that they are not getting paid as student athletes as their motivation for this crime. Pretty dumb. And no, they are full time students, not athletes. Yes 2 hrs max for lifting or practice. Have you ever heard of the ncaa? They limit and regulate practice time and contact time between coaches and players. They get plenty of perks and they have earned them. But some dont cherish them.

I don't think dismissal should be the punishment for a non-violent, first-time offense. But they should still face a harsh consequence of some sort that doesn't necessarily hurt their academic or athletic development.

I do agree that the NCAA on the whole makes an obscene profit off the backs of these players. I do not think that, though, in this particular incident, the practices of the NCAA are germane.

Not upset, just find it rediculous that you use the fact that they are not getting paid as student athletes as their motivation for this crime. Pretty dumb. And no, they are full time students, not athletes. Yes 2 hrs max for lifting or practice. Have you ever heard of the ncaa? They limit and regulate practice time and contact time between coaches and players. They get plenty of perks and they have earned them. But some dont cherish them.

I find it ridiculous that you see zero correlation between many college football and basketball players coming from difficult financial circumstances and many of these types of incidents that we hear about often. Pretty dumb.

They do nothing on their own? Going to class and doing assignments isn't part of the deal? It's easy for these guys to work and make money? "Perks"? Why can't they have some of the money that they generate?

I find it ridiculous that you see zero correlation between many college football and basketball players coming from difficult financial circumstances and many of these types of incidents that we hear about often. Pretty dumb.

They do nothing on their own? Going to class and doing assignments isn't part of the deal? It's easy for these guys to work and make money? "Perks"? Why can't they have some of the money that they generate?

Why? Bc they get 250k from the University to start with. They get tv exposure to possibly get drafted on the universities dime. And when they dont get drafted, they get a degree with zero debt. And yes, meals and gear for 4 years. Its judgemental and stereotyping of you to assume they come from bad situations bc they are African American. There are kids in the band, and in chorus, and the general academic population that could use a few extra bucks too. Give me a break. These kids have it made...yes, they have academic responsibilities like everyone else at su. But fb is far from full time, not even close.

Why? Bc they get 250k from the University to start with. They get tv exposure to possibly get drafted on the universities dime. And when they dont get drafted, they get a degree with zero debt. And yes, meals and gear for 4 years. Its judgemental and stereotyping of you to assume they come from bad situations bc they are African American. There are kids in the band, and in chorus, and the general academic population that could use a few extra bucks too. Give me a break. These kids have it made...yes, they have academic responsibilities like everyone else at su. But fb is far from full time, not even close.

1. I've already addressed all these things...free education, "draft exposure", meals(lol, still?), gear...you really want to keep going around in circles on the same things? I don't.

2. Stereotyping and judgemental? Oh, stop. It is a statistical FACT that a large number of D1 football and bball players(the sports that generate so much money) come from lower income families. There has been research done on this. Look it up. You're the first person to mention race in here by the way.

3. Being a D1 football player and student isn't "full time"? There's no obstacles towards them working and making money? The NCAA doesn't restrict their ability to get a job? Ridiculous.

But fb is far from full time, not even close.
Im staying out of this argument... except for one piece, college FB is not far from full time. Depending on the circumstances a player can, and mostly does, spend well over 40 hours a week on related activities directly associated to playing FB there.

Back to it guys... Popcorn and soda

It's not even about second chances as much is it's about...there's an incredible amount of money made off this sport and a lot of these kids don't have a lot of money. I think it would be a better situation for all if some things were changed to benefit the student athletes a bit more, and fewer of these incidents would happen.

As far as second chances...obviously the people in charge that know this particular situation can make the best decision there. I'm focusing more on the big picture...a discussion that is bound to come up when things like this happen.
Look, they stole because they are thieves. Should SU provide each player a pair of those boots? Or play station? No excuse.

Look, they stole because they are thieves. Should SU provide each player a pair of those boots? Or play station? No excuse.

No, they should be getting paid something and then they could buy their own. I established that as my opinion here a long time ago. You don't have to agree.

It's not an argument and I'm not pushing anything. It's a basic fact.

Why does it matter? Are you serious? Why is there more crime in some areas than others? Cmon...I'm not doing all your thinking for you.

Right, because people love to broadcast how poor they are? You realize how many broke people have nice phones and sneakers?

Ah, the ol' put down when you don't have a clue. There are plenty of people that don't lie, steal and cheat that are poor and their are plenty of people that do lie, steal and cheat who are not poor.

You have $200 jeans, $150 sneakers and nice phones, YOU AREN'T POOR! You make bad financial decisions.

When did I ever say or imply anything about there being an excuse for theft though?

I'm acknowledging that there's a problem with this: these incidents are in the news pretty often. And I'm pointing out that I think there's a solution that would cut way down on these types of things.

They're in the news often because the news prints things that don't happen often. If it was commonplace, the news wouldn't print them.

Here's a solution, DON'T ING STEAL! How hard is that?

Its judgemental and stereotyping of you to assume they come from bad situations bc they are African American.

THIS is what this debate really is about. The assumption that these guys come from poor families.

Ah, the ol' put down when you don't have a clue. There are plenty of people that don't lie, steal and cheat that are poor and their are plenty of people that do lie, steal and cheat who are not poor.

You have $200 jeans, $150 sneakers and nice phones, YOU AREN'T POOR! You make bad financial decisions.

????? Where was the "put down"?

You're taking the conversation to places that I really don't care to go.

They're in the news often because the news prints things that don't happen often. If it was commonplace, the news wouldn't print them.

Here's a solution, DON'T STEAL! How hard is that?

Here's a solution...pay the people that are bringing in the money! How hard is that?

Simple solution...pay the athletes out of the budget for apparel and shoes, so it's self-sustaining within the athletic departments. Maybe $5-10,000 a year for the top schools(who have more lucrative sponsorship deals). Pay them more each year, so that seniors make the most. Maybe this entices the players that are marginal pro prospects to stay in school longer and those who are close to graduation to stay in school he whole way? The payment could serve as an extra piece of their scholarship. Call it an athletic grant, even. I'm just throwing out a number, but that would give them something in their bank account and spending money, cut down on the financial pressures many of them face and allow them to share in the profits of the machine that is college bball and football. Why not?

If it happened on South Campus it was prob caught on camera. Remember a couple years back when Walls and Pierce-Brewster pulled the exact same move (sans the Yeezys) and stole a gaming system and flat screen - eventually a security video came out.

I did PLENTY of dumb stuff in college so I have a hard time saying these kids need to be gone but it seems like wishful thinking for it to end any other way.

Shame since we really needed both of them to contribute

They would still steal because they are thieves. It's a moral thing. A thief is a thief.

Right. Because difficult circumstances never push people to make bad decisions that they otherwise wouldn't make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom