Nelson and Clarke arrested | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Nelson and Clarke arrested

This was a point of discussion awhile back, representing a source of frustration to me and others. I know it has to do with formulas that a school uses and those formulas result insignificantly different amounts of money going to the student athlete. Does anyone have the specifics on why this is and why SU is disadvantaged (or is disadvantaging itself)?

I cannot research the thread on this but if I recall, the SEC was simply puffing up everything they could to get the number high. Syracuse, as a Private school, already covers many of the same expenses and incidentals, if I recall.

maybe SU needs to have a fancy PS4 game room like clemson has now. must be a place we can add a slide or 2 too.

Cuse gives stipends , they get $ every month , seeing how they get every meal paid for this $ more than covers an xbox ,a pair of shoes etc I believe it's about $900 per month . This is a simple case of crime ! They should be thrown out and procecuted and made an example out of

The second-degree burglary charge isn't good. There's some very serious elements to the charge (which hopefully they don't meet). It'll get plead down but its a serious charge. Carries a mandatory minimum prison sentence I believe.

This was a point of discussion awhile back, representing a source of frustration to me and others. I know it has to do with formulas that a school uses and those formulas result in significantly different amounts of money going to the student athlete. Does anyone have the specifics on why this is and why SU is disadvantaged (or is disadvantaging itself)?
I may be totally off here but I think it has something to do with the fact that it costs so much more to attend SU compared to State Universities like those in the SEC and the larger stipends for athletes attending those schools is to balance out the differential. You know, even the playing field. :rolleyes::crazy::noidea:

Cuse gives stipends , they get $ every month , seeing how they get every meal paid for this $ more than covers an xbox ,a pair of shoes etc I believe it's about $900 per month . This is a simple case of crime ! They should be thrown out and procecuted and made an example out of
It's somewhere around 900 bucks a month. More than adequate.

Respectfully, I understand your position,; however, all athletes agree to the terms placed upon them by the NCAA and the individual Universities. Society rejects theft. Assuming the facts as presented are correct, the two kids stole. They should be punished. Punishment should fit the crime. Firt offenses usually result in restitution and some community service to remind them that crime does not pay. Beyond a first offense, they should face harsher penalties.

That said, yes football and basketball brings in lots of money. Fair point. The monies are used to help fellow athletes in far less revenue generating sports get their degrees and have prosperous lives. Simply taking the revenues generated by football and basketball and paying players more would destroy other sports (aside from causing issues with Title IX). This is not a decision within a vacuum, there are many pieces to the puzzle and simply paying out a lot of money for a kid to play football is not feasible. SU already pays a stipend, that these two are not satisfied with the stipend is immaterial, theft is wrong. Recall that the kids already get a full ride in academics for up to five years, get all the gear they need, get food coming out their ears (figuratively) with professional advise on how to balance their needs with their diets, they get special privileges regarding fitness and they get more life coaching than the average student.

Living within ones means is a life lesson that each of us must learn. These two decided they did not need to live within their means (Free tuition, gear, food, books, etc. and a stipend) or they decided the stipend was not sufficient for their desires. They took a chance (risk assessment) and got caught (still operating on the assumption that what we have seen released is true). Giving them more money is not the answer, living within their means is the answer. No one forced these kids to sign with Syracuse, they knew the deal and when one considers that they are essentially getting a $100K+/year job (they don't pay taxes on the free ride, gear, books, etc.) as a high school graduate, who among us wouldn't sign up for that? Many on here would take that offer now!

That said, if Syracuse is losing out on the low stipend (mentioned elsewhere in the thread), they need to re-assess the matter and what is actually included in the package deal. The SEC is paying off kids, no doubt, Syracuse probably cannot afford to pay all athletes the same stipend as the SEC schools can. There will be a balance and Syracuse will have to find it.
Re: stipend.

It needs to be a mandated number from NcAa that's equal for all institutions by allowing schools to have a different level it causes recruiting issues as well as questions on fairness.

Re: SU

They need to stop being stingy and boost the stipend a few hundred bucks. Even $300 more would be a start. Ideally it would be in the $600-$800 range increase.

Re: stipend.

It needs to be a mandated number from NcAa that's equal for all institutions by allowing schools to have a different level it causes recruiting issues as well as questions on fairness.

Re: SU

They need to stop being stingy and boost the stipend a few hundred bucks. Even $300 more would be a start. Ideally it would be in the $600-$800 range increase.
As a parent, I'd LOVE to see that kind of an increase. Truthfully, though, what they're getting now is sufficient.

Don't forget when their parents do their FAFSA, whatever aid they get is given to the kid. When my son was their he wondered why he didn't see any money from aid, we made 5k too much when he checked. He said some kids were getting checks for 5k. Just sayin. Plus most dont ever use all their meals on the meal plan, they can cut them back and get the $$ from that too.

Don't forget when their parents do their FAFSA, whatever aid they get is given to the kid. When my son was their he wondered why he didn't see any money from aid, we made 5k too much when he checked. He said some kids were getting checks for 5k. Just sayin. Plus most dont ever use all their meals on the meal plan, they can cut them back and get the $$ from that too.
Yeah, forgot about FAFSA.

I can't believe I'm saying this bc I like to hammer the NCAA as much as possible but I don't think this is an issue of "needing money for food".

It's doesn't say anything about them radding the person fridge or ramen noodle stash bc they are hungry.

They stole stuff they wanted. And they stole a large amount of property. PS4 $500.. a pair of ugly boots $1000 +... laptop $500

That has nothing to do with needing money to go buy bread so they can make a pb&j.

wait what

Somebody stole my rain coat from our house's closet during a party we threw one time.

Miss that jacket..

Always always always give first time offenders, especially 18 or 19 year old kids, of a minor crime a 2nd chance. Suspensions, community service, and other remedial action can be implemented.

If they do it again you can then throw the book at them since they didn't learn any lesson from the mistake they made...

When I was there, the meal plan that they gave athletes was a debt account on the SUperCard. They gave the max allowable on the plan, which I think was like $2000 per semester. That could be used in vending machines, at dining halls, and at the food courts like Kimmel. IIRC they could also use it to get wing deliveries from Sal's Birdland. That was on top of the team meals they had, and the weight gainer and vitamin supplements they got. I've said before that my roommate got so much MetRX that I too was on the program. On top of that, they got a cash stipend, something like $150/day while on the road. The hoops team used this essentially as blackjack money on the bus or in the hotel rooms. When SU played Miami, Boeheim supposedly insisted they stay at the Doral so that he could get a round or two of golf in. Not a bad life. That said, there were guys that carried weapons and others that sold "stuff" to make extra money on the side. How much is enough and how much is too much? If these kids got the earnings percentage they deserve, I wager some would still do these things because the opportunity is there and you can never have enough.

Well it took a few pages but finally someone came up with the correct answer.

I'm as bleeding heart as any. I sympathize with people who are disadvantaged. Put people in a poverty situation and crime usually results at a higher rate than Darien, Connecticut. (not counting white collar crime)

The Irish, the Italians, when they first came to this country had to try and get themselves out of poverty. Not always legally.

But...I spent 4 years living in those Skytop townhouses and if any student was caught and convicted of stealing from another resident I'd want them gone. No way I want to live among thieves. I don't think it's fair to other students to have neighbors like that. Most that live in a frat/sorority, or a dorm, probably feel the same way.

I'm pretty sure most people don't enjoy living down the street from people who steal from their own neighbors. The hell with community service.

I'm all about second chances, because, quite honestly I cashed in more than one. Never stole anything, but, broke laws/rules nonetheless.

That being said, as an adult, I would really struggle with sending my child to an institute of higher learning and having to be concerned with questionable characters surrounding them at their living facility. You can't protect them always, but, when it's a known issue I don't know that I'd be willing to accept that my child has to be part of the 2nd chance.

On the other side of the equation, if my child was in need of the second chance, I'd have to be ok accepting the consequences of their actions. Live by the sword die by the sword.

I'm all about second chances, because, quite honestly I cashed in more than one. Never stole anything, but, broke laws/rules nonetheless.

That being said, as an adult, I would really struggle with sending my child to an institute of higher learning and having to be concerned with questionable characters surrounding them at their living facility. You can't protect them always, but, when it's a known issue I don't know that I'd be willing to accept that my child has to be part of the 2nd chance.

On the other side of the equation, if my child was in need of the second chance, I'd have to be ok accepting the consequences of their actions. Live by the sword die by the sword.

thing is this happens everywhere with athletes and i don't put much thought into it, I doubt a lot of people do. stealing, sex assault, punching women, dui's, drugs.

Babers suspended them. No boot yet. They'll have their day in court and then they'll have to deal with the University. I would not be surprised if they are both suspended for the season and then end up transferring out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom