New assistant coach: Allen Griffin | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

New assistant coach: Allen Griffin

Matt Coleman wasn't a miss. He can't play. Folks need to actually get out and see kids play instead of going by highlights and write ups. No one misses in highlights and most write ups are overly positive.

GMac hasn't done well as a recruiter because he doesn't have relationships. This far he's brought in Patterson, Moyer, and had serious difficulty w the 17 class.

Matt Coleman wasn't a miss. He can't play. Folks need to actually get out and see kids play instead of going by highlights and write ups. No one misses in highlights and most write ups are overly positive.

GMac hasn't done well as a recruiter because he doesn't have relationships. This far he's brought in Patterson, Moyer, and had serious difficulty w the 17 class.
You know that makes sense because he really never had a chance to develop them by playing say in the pros; NBA or overseas, for 6-8 or more years nor did he coach on the HS level.

So maybe he is and was over his head regarding recruiting.

Then it's up to JB and Autry to help him along with the rest of the staff.

And the players too. Sometimes we get players because one of their older HS teammates came here and raved about the team.

It's much harder to be optimistic when you have been sanctioned for 4 or 5 years now.

Loved Griff as a player. He is one of my all time favorites.

I just hope he can recruit and coach up his players. Hoping he has some NY Rens and PSA Cardinals connections we can leverage.

This was the predictable hire and it's not sexy. I just can't help but think going from Hop/Autry/Gmac to Autry/Griff/Gmac is a pretty big downgrade, with absolutely no disrespect to AG. Gonna have to close the 2017 cycle strong with Tucker and Ayala (?) and have a big 2018. Gotta grind though, now.

Hop leaving was a definite loss but Syracuse is a top tier program and the beat will go on.

I like Matt Coleman's game. We can agree to disagree on how good he will be. You are correct I haven't seen him play in person but have watched more than highlight reels. It's hard to get out to Oak Hill when you live in Seattle. The reality is if we had gone after coleman we would have gotten Quade earlier instead of waiting for UK to come calling. We were his plan B. I feel like that is pretty obvious but what do I know.

I like Matt Coleman's game. We can agree to disagree on how good he will be. You are correct I haven't seen him play in person but have watched more than highlight reels. It's hard to get out to Oak Hill when you live in Seattle. The reality is if we had gone after coleman we would have gotten Quade earlier instead of waiting for UK to come calling. We were his plan B. I feel like that is pretty obvious but what do I know.

Quade wants to be a pro and thinks Kentucky will make his route easier.

Oak Hill is on TV a few times a year (in fact they were on ESPN this week) and we shall see regarding Coleman. I know Coleman hopes your right. To me Coleman is a kid who benefited from playing alongside good players and a class where there was a significant drop in the ability of the 6th and 7th point guard.

Here's the thing: I have a very difficult time accepting the coaching and recruiting insight of various yahoos on a message board, versus a HOF proven winner with a 40 yr track record.
I'm loving this hire- it maintains the SU family connection and reunites the lead guard of one of my all time SU teams (Griffin, Schumpert, MeShaun, Brown, Celuck), with his alma mater.
IMHO, some folks here need to get over themselves. If JB likes this hire, and having GMac on his staff, that's good enough for me...notwithstanding all the amateur Johnny Woodens on the board, who can't wait to vomit some opinion based on...what exactly?
Every right to express one of course, but in cases like this, I lean towards the experts whose JOB it is to know, and not the opinionated cynics, whose job is usually predicated on idle speculation. JMHO

Last edited:
When I see people knock GMac because Green chose UK over SU it makes me chuckle. If we go head to head against UK for a top 20 type recruit we are going to lose 98 out of 100 times regardless of who is recruiting for SU. That is a really unfair knock.

There's other reasons people knock GMacs recruiting and it's not just because of Green. The question is, who has Gmac brought in so far, then go through all those guys and see who has been a success. His record is putrid.

I have no time to do that I'm afraid.

So tell me what the recruiting board says that I'm not getting and neither are a half dozen male posters here.
Clicking ignore takes less time than posting a retort.

Here's the thing: I have a very difficult time accepting the coaching and recruiting insight of various yahoos on a message board, versus a HOF proven winner with a 40 yr track record.
I'm loving this hire- it maintains the SU family connection and reunites the lead guard of one of my all time SU teams (Griffin, Schumpert, MeShaun, Brown, Celuck), with his alma mater.
IMHO, some folks here need to get over themselves. If JB likes this hire, and having GMac on his staff, that's good enough for me...notwithstanding all the amateur Johnny Woodens on the board, who can't wait to vomit some opinion based on...what exactly?
Every right to express one of course, but in cases like this, I lean towards the experts whose JOB it is to know, and not the opinionated cynics, whose job is usually predicated on idle speculation. JMHO
I think it's a lazy hire. Safe, comfortable and brings little new to the table.

He is from Brooklyn and kids know who he is.. Who would you want in his place?

It's a solid hire. I'm not saying otherwise.

But people in this thread are saying hes a great recruiter. I just wonder what people base this on. Maybe he is.

I mean if you think he's a good recruiter because he's from a certain borough and "kids know who he is," then fine.

Matt Coleman can't play? Oh.

I think it's a lazy hire. Safe, comfortable and brings little new to the table.

What I would very much like to know is who else they looked at/interviewed? Im in the camp that they should have gone out and grabbed a well connected recruiter or and AAU head coach type because I think the program could have used a nice boost on the recruiting front and this was a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the situation. That said, I don't hate the hire. I think AG could very well be a hard working, solid XO's coach who is dedicated to the University. My biggest concern is with my original question, who else did they consider?

If the staff and administration conducted their due process and deemed AG their guy then I will feel better. But, if there were no real interviews, litte conversation and dialog on the direction and needs of the program, well then, I couldn't agree more with it being a lazy hire (If that did occur it would also bring up some questions regarding the new AD). So I am very interested to find out how extensive the process was.

What I would very much like to know is who else they looked at/interviewed? Im in the camp that they should have gone out and grabbed a well connected recruiter or and AAU head coach type because I think the program could have used a nice boost on the recruiting front and this was a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the situation. That said, I don't hate the hire. I think AG could very well be a hard working, solid XO's coach who is dedicated to the University. My biggest concern is with my original question, who else did they consider?

If the staff and administration conducted their due process and deemed AG their guy then I will feel better. But, if there were no real interviews, litte conversation and dialog on the direction and needs of the program, well then, I couldn't agree more with it being a lazy hire (If that did occur it would also bring up some questions regarding the new AD). So I am very interested to find out how extensive the process was.

Good post. This is how I feel. I think at this stage of the game, JB values comfort. That's what he went for with this hire.

I'm convinced that Green would have been signed early fall if we had moved on and went after another PG. He'd have come running back to SU to commit and sign. We let him keep us as a backup plan till he got an offer he couldn't turn down. That is 100% on the SU coaching staff.

Maybe so, but that's all on JB. Regardless of who was interacting with Quade, JB is the puppet master and he calls the shots. If he doesn't recognize that the program is being "played" with his 40+ years of experience in the recruiting game, then why would you expect GMAC to recognize it. Point is what happened with Quade happens occasionally. Sucks when it does, but its part of the game. Ask Mr. Battle. The whole situation is a situation only because we didn't have a secondary target and because Frank blew a huge stinking fart when it came to taking over the PG.

I sill say I am glad to read Griffin was heavily involved in Soochie Smith's recruitment.

The biggest issue for me who is going to coach the bigs? Hopkins was doing it even though he was a guard and we replaced him with another guard.

Maybe so, but that's all on JB. Regardless of who was interacting with Quade, JB is the puppet master and he calls the shots. If he doesn't recognize that the program is being "played" with his 40+ years of experience in the recruiting game, then why would you expect GMAC to recognize it. Point is what happened with Quade happens occasionally. Sucks when it does, but its part of the game. Ask Mr. Battle. The whole situation is a situation only because we didn't have a secondary target and because Frank blew a huge stinking fart when it came to taking over the PG.

I never put anything on GMAC I said the staff which JB is the leader of.

Yeah I don't like the all eggs in one basket approach. Who do we blame for that?

I now officially hate all variants of the phrase "all eggs in one basket". I wish I could just block the phrase.

With Easter coming this is going to be an especially difficult aversion to navigate. I mean why should the family have a problem with us putting all of the eggs in one basket? After all we only have one Easter Bunny believing kid.

I can see it now, the eve of Easter; my wife says "Hey Honey, would you put all of those colored eggs in that one basket for Little Sally". If this phrase comes out an any point in our Easter Basket preparations I may have to rip her God loving head off. I may prepare extra baskets this year, just for the heck of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom