New assistant coach: Allen Griffin | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

New assistant coach: Allen Griffin

More of the same, but overall a solid hire. I wasn't expecting anything other than this. JB only works with people he trusts, those who thought we were going to hire outside were delusional.
He has on occasion hired outside the SU ranks. They just tend to leave sooner for a HC job.

I think it would be more palatable for some if we put JB or Hop out there and lost.

I get that. And hopefully the critics of Gmac would be fair and balanced in that instance.

We don't and I'm pretty sure, we won't.
So don't be shy. Who out there in the AC ranks do you think would have taken the job who is substantially better?

Nobody disagrees with this. Hence I always say he was up against sharks and lost.
The problem was we put all our eggs with Green and didn't use our best guys in that recruitment.
JB and Hop weren't on Green.
That was the mistake.

What wins has GMac on the trail though? Most
people thought GMac was the guy for Moyer but Francis told us on the recruiting board it was actually Hopkins.

So you think the outcome would have been different with Green if MH and or JB were on the case?

I hope you were better at your job than you are at bad comedy. Others when they try to troll are actually funny.
That was a 4 out of 10. Good job good effort.

Now go scold somebody because you are the gatekeeper.
I'd love to see the two of you do 5 minutes of any sort of material you like at an open mic.

One where really good comics practice their material. See who gets more laughs.

So you think the outcome would have been different with Green if MH and or JB were on the case?
Maybe not. Nobody knows but you would agree if your going to put all your eggs in the basket for one recruit you should use your best coaches to handle that recruitment? Right?

Quade Green was the only PG we really pursued this cycle and we put GMac on the lead with the guy instead of the HCIW. That was the mistake. I don't blame GMac for losing to Calipari.

I'd love to see the two of you do 5 minutes of any sort of material you like at an open mic.

One where really good comics practice their material. See who gets more laughs.
No offense but you don't get the previous history between myself and the poster that led to my post.

I know I am not funny. I don't troll somebody if I am not funny though was my point.

Maybe not. Nobody knows but you would agree if your going to put all your eggs in the basket for one recruit you should use your best coaches to handle that recruitment? Right?

Quade Green was the only PG we really pursued this cycle and we put GMac on the lead with the guy instead of the HCIW. That was the mistake. I don't blame GMac for losing to Calipari.
Not sure why that concept is hard to follow.

Exactly.

Unless Griff, Autry and GMac become recruiting beasts, this move puts the responsibility squarely on JB for going with a guy he's comfortable with over an outside hire.

If these guys can't get it done, JB better be prepared to do some heavy lifting these next few years.
You think maybe the sanctions have had some impact on ALL the coaches' ability to recruit the past few years?

Yeah I don't like the all eggs in one basket approach. Who do we blame for that?

Green could have signed back then and still change his mind and choose UK later on, no?

Not once he signed. UK would have moved on IMO. We also wouldn't have to give him his release and why would Cal want that hassle when he could just pay someone else.

i didn't say it was necessary. i said it's exactly what we already have. like times 5. so much for a fresh set of eyes or new perspective for old coach codger. expect more of the same. i like griff. but he adds nothing new.
Old coach codger?

Said by somewhat younger never was.

Yeah I don't like the all eggs in one basket approach. Who do we blame for that?
I will cut JB some slack and say its a combination of the scholarship reductions and roster balance.
However we had scholarships open to use and JB probably wanted atleast 1 for a grad transfer. That is his call.

Now we have 3 scholarships open for next year with Lydon leaving. JB should have known atleast one guy wasn't coming back and pursued multiple guards.

We should have had backups to Green though. That is on the HC.

Good news. Now let's replace GMac with an actual recruiter, or coach. One or the other. Since he can't do either well.

Welcome back, AG.

Everyone probably knows Griffin's story but no harm in repeating. He lost his starting job and spent the next year buried deep on the bottom of the bench. He reappeared as a starter in a crucial NCAA game against Michigan in Michigan and played a good game. He started as a senior and was quite good. Never complained, never transferred, never stopped working to improve. One of the factors that makes us unique is our coaching stability. Welcome back home to A Griffin.

It was Michigan State, and he was not a starter. Bland started.

Sounds to me that SU (JB and the ACs) cooled on that prospect. That's how it's done. They rarely call the guy and tell him they aren't recruiting him anymore.

That's nobody's fault. That's a conscious decision.

You're trying to make excuses for the staff but are uninformed. Literally within 48 hours of the interview/story running we went to visit him at his school and tried very hard to get him to visit the campus again but he declined and committed to Miami shortly thereafter. We did not cool on Lonnie Walker.

We dropped the ball. No other way to spin it no matter how hard you try.

It was Michigan State, and he was not a starter. Bland started.
Griffin came in when we were down 8-1 and we were up 31-19 on the eventual NCs by the end of the half.

That game was one of his best performances. The zone and having 2 PGs got us running and got transition.
Halfcourt offense was terrible and if Blackwell didn't get into foul trouble we could have another scorer when we struggled and won that game.

So its an agenda when people who love GMac as a player say the guy fell into a elite job and hasn't done a good job in that job. Either as a guard coach or as a recruiter. After the Fine incident JB should have brought in a coach. He gave GMac that job. People can hold him to a higher standard as a result.

I can list recruits Hopkins and Autry have brought in. GMac wasn't the primary recruiter for anybody except Moyer and Francis even said that was really a Hopkins start job and GMac finished.

It is not an agenda. You think GMac is good as a recruiter? Let's hear why.
Who doesn't think that GMac was brought in because he pretty much salvaged the team's winning record in his senior season through sheer guts? And the ability to score threes? And the hope that he could TEACH players how to do the latter better?

As for recruiting, he'd obviously help in Pennsylvania. How much range a Scranton kid has there I don't know.

The problem isn't that Gmac went up against U.K. & Calipari and lost, but the it was Gmac and not Boeheim going up against Cal and U.K.
Lololol as if JB is nicknamed Pay Him Jim!

I think it would be more palatable for some if we put JB or Hop out there and lost.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but weren't part of the sanctions a limit on how many in home visits JB was allowed to make? Or something along those lines?

Who doesn't think that GMac was brought in because he pretty much salvaged the team's winning record in his senior season through sheer guts? And the ability to score threes? And the hope that he could TEACH players how to do the latter better?

As for recruiting, he'd obviously help in Pennsylvania. How much range a Scranton kid has there I don't know.
I love the kid. I lived on Small Road next to the guy his Senior year. Him and Gorman were my neighbors my Sophomore year.
You don't hire a guy because of what he did as a player in 2006. You hire the best assistant coach.

GMac came back to SU as a graduate assistant in 2010. He was starting from the bottom and was paying his dues then Bernie happened we had an in-season opening and gave GMac that job. After the year JB should have conducted a search for a new assistant. Instead, JB gave it to GMac. That IMO was the mistake. GMac should have worked his way back to SU like Autry did.

Now he just needs to deliever. He was given a raise stay. Hop wanted him to go Washington. Our admin wanted him to stay so I just hope he re-energizes JB now.

Maybe Alsacs dated Mrs GMac and got dumped. Or never even had a chance with her cause GMac arrived
C'mon its not personal. I loved GMac the player. I think you know this as it is fairly obvious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom