Class of 2019 New Commit: JJ Levandowski (MA / IMG) Mid

DoctahLexus

Scout Team
Barring a graduate transfer attackmen or one of the frosh really exploding next fall (or one of the returners like Berkman) I think one of Curry, Dordevic or Lewandowski will be moved to attack. There just isn't enough PT to go around at the midfield with Trimbo, Lipka Dordevic Curry Buttermore Magnan Quinn Fiorini the Kim Twins, Lewandowski etc. Cook will certainly be moved back where he belongs to attack as well.
Absolutely. It is both a great thing and a problem that we have all of this legitimate talent. I worry about guys like the kim twins and fiorini feel like the writing is on the wall for their next year already, despite their clear potential. I have made some anti-curry attack comments in the past but in the end his speed dodge is effective no matter where he is on the field and if he puts a focused effort on his finesse around the cage then he may be the answer. But then how does that make Berkman and Seebold feel? Overall this is a good problem to have but a problem none the less.

Orangelax

Scout Team
Absolutely. It is both a great thing and a problem that we have all of this legitimate talent. I worry about guys like the kim twins and fiorini feel like the writing is on the wall for their next year already, despite their clear potential. I have made some anti-curry attack comments in the past but in the end his speed dodge is effective no matter where he is on the field and if he puts a focused effort on his finesse around the cage then he may be the answer. But then how does that make Berkman and Seebold feel? Overall this is a good problem to have but a problem none the less.
Also curious how the Nelson kid fits in? Didn't he transfer from Mercer? I thought remembered reading a few good notes on him in this blog earlier in the year.

ohmilax34

Scout Team
Also curious how the Nelson kid fits in? Didn't he transfer from Mercer? I thought remembered reading a few good notes on him in this blog earlier in the year.
He is behind Cook and Seebold it seems.

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
Syracuse used to have a surplus of attackmen and play them as midfielders their first couple years. Guys like Matt Cutia, Ryan Powell, Josh Coffman started out as midfielders and moved to attack as either sophomores or Juniors. They were natural attackmen. Levandowski has never really struck me as a natural attackman, but I really haven't seen much of him.
It certainly isn't optimal and its usually easier to do the reverse as you noted but at this point I don't think we really have a choice. Attack despite Voigt and Solomon's very productive years is still to me the clearest weak point on the team. Team doesn't have an elite dodger or attackmen in general right now and I am not sure there is one on the roster. Curry and Dordevic have both played attack previously and to me it makes more sense to move one of them then Levandowski but perhaps his skill set will translate more. Its a tough call but one that I think will likely have to be made unless one of the incoming guys comes in on fire from the word go or we get a huge transfer.

DoctahLexus

Scout Team
Almost forgot about him! He is another player with legit potential fighting for minutes.

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
I had high hopes for Berkman but it appears SU blew his RS late in the year in garbage time which is a bit concerning as most thought he was RS. Doesn't mean he can't or won't make a huge impact next year as the same thing happened with Buttermore but I thought he was RS to get used to the speed and physicality of D1 coming in from FL. He is certainly one to keep an eye on for next year as his states in HS were ridiculous. The other problem is that he is more of a QB type attackmen I believe which SU already has in Rehfuss and I believe Wood is a similar player, SU desperately needs a scoring attackmen.

As for Seedbold, I just haven't seen anything in his limited PT that screams big role next year. He did have a nice goal against Navy in garbage time but beyond that he's struggled to make any sort of impact in what I admit is limited PT at least in the regular season. He's going to be a Jr next year, I would think there is a better chance of him transferring then seeing major minutes next year especially when Rehfuss and Cook look locked in for the first two starting spots.

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
Curry's a very unique player, he's had games of brilliance and then stretches where he is pretty much MIA which is what we have had form him the last month or so of this season. His shot accuracy appears to have abandoned him a bit and he is often to unselfish. I wonder if putting him in an attack position with him being closer to the cage and getting more touches might help.

CuSeLaX

Walk On
Two years ago I thought this kid could be the best recruit we have seen in some time. When he transferred to IMG the level of play initially seemed to challenge him last year. I think the best thing for him was this move so he’s already facing top level talent before he gets to Cuse. Someone said he plays like Curry that’s exactly what I saw on tape when he was the #2 ranked sophomore. He has blazing speed and a good shot. I think he won’t see much of the field his first year due to the depth but he’s one to watch for like a Salcido type junior, senior year.

Abclaxfan

Walk On
Two years ago I thought this kid could be the best recruit we have seen in some time. When he transferred to IMG the level of play initially seemed to challenge him last year. I think the best thing for him was this move so he’s already facing top level talent before he gets to Cuse. Someone said he plays like Curry that’s exactly what I saw on tape when he was the #2 ranked sophomore. He has blazing speed and a good shot. I think he won’t see much of the field his first year due to the depth but he’s one to watch for like a Salcido type junior, senior year.
I tend to disagree with the notion that he was challenged initially at IMG, from what I’ve seen is that he was their number 2 mid last year behind Chase Scalan and looks to be their best player this year. I think the main reason for his drop in rankings is because of Ty Xanders' move to IL and the fact that he stopped playing in club tournaments over the summer with his club team where the Ty Xander’s of the world make their evaluations.

I do think he may struggle to see the field in his first year with so much depth at the midfield. I know this is said every year, but having two solid lines of mids looks very possible and is very good to have. This will definitely be the case if Curry, Trimboli, Dornavek, and Buttermore all stick to midfield next year.

Top Bottom