New DC: Rocky Long (now official) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New DC: Rocky Long (now official)

Attachments

• 1670961450101.png
    1670961450101.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 42
I was going to come on here and suggest Zach Arnett as the next DC at Syracuse, but now this?!?!?!

Long did a tremendous job as HC at SDSU. He was getting up in years and was no longer up to the HC grind. All he wanted to do is go back to his alma mater and scheme up defensive game plans, because it was his favorite part of coaching, at his favorite place to live.

If he was seriously offered SU's DC position 3 years ago, he turned it down. Now at age 72, why would he pick up and move east? Why now? I have a hard time buying he would come east to get into the ACC grinder.

Have to give credit to Dino for trying.

PS - we need a LB coach too.

That’s got nothing on Jim Collins who according to SU once had 42 tackles in one game!!!!! Way before my time but wow!

42 tackles against Penn State.
624 tackles in his career at SU.
I don't think the Terminator could get 624 tackles.

What's the love affair with Monroe being a DCoordinator here ?
I know. He does a great job at what he does and should continue to be rewarded for it, but some people just aren't cut out to be coordinators. Not saying that Monroe isn't, it's just that we have no idea. If he does want to be a DC a tutelage under Rocky Long would be like getting a PHD

Long has been the DC/LB Coach at New Mexico, so he slides right in to White's spot. Interesting note. When Long retired as HC at San Diego State, he had led them to 9 straight bowl games.
That SDSU was a menance. I always recall them with some big low scoring wins.

Long did a tremendous job as HC at SDSU. He was getting up in years and was no longer up to the HC grind. All he wanted to do is go back to his alma mater and scheme up defensive game plans, because it was his favorite part of coaching, at his favorite place to live.

If he was seriously offered SU's DC position 3 years ago, he turned it down. Now at age 72, why would he pick up and move east? Why now? I have a hard time buying he would come east to get into the ACC grinder.

Have to give credit to Dino for trying.

PS - we need a LB coach too.
Well, the HC at New Mexico is Danny Gonzales. Danny is a former DC at SDSU, and Rocky is his mentor.

His record at NM is 2-5, then 3-9 and then 2-10. He is not expected to be the NM HC much longer. It is not a really stable place to be working right now.

Maybe Long is a 1 year bridge to Monroe or whoever he thinks might be on staff that can handle role. He gives assessment to Dino, if it’s Monroe great, if not we move on to next person.

Last edited:
Well, the HC at New Mexico is Danny Gonzales. Danny is a former DC at SDSU, and Rocky is his mentor.

His record at NM is 2-5, then 3-9 and then 2-10. He is not expected to be the NM HC much longer. It is not a really stable place to be working right now.

He was also the Arizona State DC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom