Class of 2020 - New Transfer: Cole Horan (Furman) Defense | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 New Transfer: Cole Horan (Furman) Defense

Capture.JPG

do we really need this many poles?

Does seem like a really random addition (no offense Cole). They’ve added three defensemen but honestly there’s a chance none of them start. I do believe the defense had a lot of injuries last year and maybe the coaches may have gotten worried about having enough bodies for practice? Maybe I am missing something.

do we really need this many poles?

I tend to agree with you. Maybe these 3 guys come in and start/or see significant time but are they all better than the guys currently sitting on the bench? Guess we'll find out.

D did have issue with # of injuries and lack of fresh bodies in practice last year but 18 poles is a bit much especially when only one defender is in final year of eligibility.Makes me wonder if someone is departing on that end

Conversely, believe 13 offensive mids is the lowest # in recent years . Thought that is where we might add another though a few of our attackman could move up top.

Would like to add a mid given the three middies that are transfering out. Kim's, Lipka(who could come back I suppose) but still will hurt depth for the future.

I am intrigued to follow if many players will take that extra year of eligibility. Curry, Buttermore, could be gone after next year and obviously Trimboli. Those are big vacancies.

Regarding Horan, maybe the staff is not too high on the younger poles? Three seems excessive at this point though...

At the LSM position I know the staff was really high on Clary & Page. Wycoff will bring some depth and experience that could be a big help. I know there appeared to be season ending injuries w/ Lee, Little Kennedy & Schluter this past season so staff might not have a handle on what they can do. Then we have some freshman poles coming in that have missed most or all of their senior years and may not get to play any summer ball.
If they can find three that they trust down low then maybe this allows BK to move back to LSM.

Reliable sources tell me that coaches are looking for depth for 2021 and beyond with "defense by committee" unless or until certain players stand out. There could also be an element of trying to find a landing spot for Furman kids who had the rug pulled out from under them.

Reliable sources tell me that coaches are looking for depth for 2021 and beyond with "defense by committee" unless or until certain players stand out. There could also be an element of trying to find a landing spot for Furman kids who had the rug pulled out from under them.

I assume evaluating 2021s and 2022s is going to be difficult, and saw this as a possible hedge also.

Well we are losing Helmer, Mellen and Fernandez so it makes sense that we are looking to increase the competition for the starting roles and have some guys with experience incase the current potential replacement's lack of it shows. Don't really view this as a sign another guy is leaving. The Furman Duke game is on youtube if anyone wants to try and see him in action (#15). I tried to skip around and find moments with someone dodging on him but there isn't much. He goes up against Manown who only gives a couple casual attempts before passing it off and he stands his ground. Suppose it's a somewhat good sign they weren't exploiting his matchup but Furman did get rocked overall.

Will certainly have depth at least in numbers (18) this year . Cuse had 13 d/lsm last year but several were sidelined which taxed

By comparison 20' season , ND which always stocks d carried 15, UNC 13, Duke 11, UVA 10. Our neighbor Cornell only had 9

Interesting strategy. I won't go through every year, but ever since I've been following SU lacrosse (2002), it seems like SU has always had the alpha male, All American defenseman that automatically grabbed the opposing team's best player. From John Glatzel to John Lade to Brian McGill to Brandon Mullins to Nick Mellen. Obviouly there are guys I'm leaving out, and some were better than others, but the #11 jersey exists for a reason. Next year Brett Kennedy can take that role no question, which makes me think there is no way he gets moved back to LSM. But after that, and it might one, or two years, I don't know who that next defenseman is. It was probably supposed to be JoJo Todaro but he flipped to Hopkins.

There are some prospects that look intriguing, but no sure things. It seems like in the past there were defenseman that even before they arrived on campus, you knew they were probably going to be very good players. Hard to say that about the incoming recruits. Trying to bring in a bunch of guys and hoping the "cream rises to the top" kind of seems like a risky strategy. We shall see.

I think you guys are sleeping on Murphy as a No. 1 at close. Kid’s got it. Physicality, size, feet and stick.

Murphy did a real nice job this year before the season was cancelled. I think he is a real nice #2, not sure he has the overall speed to mark a Sowers or Gray but he is definitely an upper level defender.

Murphy is a sound and physical defender but he doesn't have the lateral movement nor hips to quickly change direction to cover ones nor some of the two's we'll face He's capable on and heady off as was Cunnuingham but displayed a better stick . Expecting the newbies and ir returns to vy for p/t but he played his position well and expect him to return to it.

Murphy is a sound and physical defender but he doesn't have the lateral movement nor hips to quickly change direction to cover ones nor some of the two's we'll face He's capable on and heady off as was Cunnuingham but displayed a better stick . Expecting the newbies and ir returns to vy for p/t but he played his position well and expect him to return to it.

Kindly disagree. If he didn’t have the hips, mobility or speed, he’s not out there with a short stick in his hand last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom