New WR Coach: Michael Johnson | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New WR Coach: Michael Johnson

He'd have to sit out a year (2nd transfer), unless they have a waiver to be on my dad's team. We do so well with waivers.

Anyone know his story? Looks like he's way down the depth chart at FAU.

2019 Johnson was enrolled at PSU and redshirted.

2020 he wasn't enrolled anyplace. Entered portal but didn't commit to FAU until Dec 2020 after the season. So he did nothing 2019 season.

2021 was on FAU but didn't see field.

Impressive how the program has shot the lock off their wallet and invested in quality coaching hires this off season. I believe this happens by being a member of the ACC and taking advantage of financial redistribution from attendance, TV and the ACCN. Wouldn't have been able to afford these coaches if we didn't move into a P5 league. Love it. Success breeds success.
Comcast coming on board with the ACCN didn't hurt.
$$$

Yeah I was thinking that the other day. Too bad all these coaching hires, transfers and recruits didn’t come in last year with the guys we have coming back. If we took last years schedule and made it this years. I think 8 games should have been the goal with what we have now.
Maybe. I always believe schedules have a way of shifting. Teams don’t perform sometimes, players get injured sometimes, teams overachieve, teams underachieve. The teams we think are one way may not look that way come September or October.

Reactions: CIL
2019 Johnson was enrolled at PSU and redshirted.

2020 he wasn't enrolled anyplace. Entered portal but didn't commit to FAU until Dec 2020 after the season. So he did nothing 2019 season.

2021 was on FAU but didn't see field.

Interesting. So assuming he wasn't enrolled in fall of 2020 he might be eligible to play straight away.

I do not believe he would follow Dad and transfer here though. His path to the field seems better where he is and he might even be on the bottom of their depth chart.

What precipitous fall? He coached with Taggert at Oregon, followed him to FAU -- and the ability to coach his 4-star son at FAU probably factored in to his decision to do so [per the article].
From NFL OC to college WR coach, was the point. Kind of going backwards. Hopefully it’s a great hire.

From NFL OC to college WR coach, was the point. Kind of going backwards. Hopefully it’s a great hire.

An alternative way to look at it: went from NFL to a premier P5 landing spot in the Pac-12. Then went to the SEC.

Then went to coach with his buddy from Oregon, at a place that afforded him a chance to also coach his son [in a broader sense].

The life of an assistant coaches / coordinator is generally a transient one. Looking at where he's coached, and the articles that have been posted today about him, provides a lot of insight about his background, and how highly he was regarded at each stop along the way.

Lets see Bob, Jason, Robert and a Big Johnson solidifies our new coaching staff, well done

An alternative way to look at it: went from NFL to a premier P5 landing spot in the Pac-12. Then went to the SEC.

Then went to coach with his buddy from Oregon, at a place that afforded him a chance to also coach his son [in a broader sense].

The life of an assistant coaches / coordinator is generally a transient one. Looking at where he's coached, and the articles that have been posted today about him, provides a lot of insight about his background, and how highly he was regarded at each stop along the way.

Donnie Henderson was kind of on the same path when he joined marrone's staff. Had been through the proverbial meat grinder so to speak but he seemed to do a solid job when he was here and he didn't have the college background as far as recruiting that Johnson does.

I loved watching Henderson coach the DB's on the sideline when he was here

SuFTW IthacaBarrel

So Taj couldn’t get into Kentucky because of academics, but he’s going to get into Notre Dame?
1643148731389.gif

So Taj couldn’t get into Kentucky because of academics, but he’s going to get into Notre Dame?
View attachment 213195
Okay, I know SU has not had the degree of success ND has had over history. But I think it’s kind of funny for the writer to make his first knock against SU that we “…have a terrible location, both in terms of a lack of local talent and a region that isn’t desirable to move to for young players.” As opposed to South Freaking Bend Indiana?

Okay, I know SU has not had the degree of success ND has had over history. But I think it’s kind of funny for the writer to make his first knock against SU that we “…have a terrible location, both in terms of a lack of local talent and a region that isn’t desirable to move to for young players.” As opposed to South Freaking Bend Indiana?
South Bend is an absolute hole, as is northern Indiana, at least along I 80

I think the biggest reason for the change in philosophy is to make sure SU isn’t left out in the next round of realignment. I read an article this morning about ND looking at Harris in the portal and the ND official states that SU invests very little in its football program. True or not it’s a perception.
Maybe just a typo in your post, but doesn’t look like the comment is from an ND official, just an ND blog writer.

At this point we HAVE TOO keep Dino for 2 years regardless. At that point if you don’t see a return in your investment then we can talk. I like the approach, we are a university that offers good salary and stability. If you come with us we will keep you on staff if you just simply make a bowl game. It’s actually appealing in this day and age where colleges turn over coaches like pancakes. That needs to be our selling point for assistants and coaches. Stability is important, people don’t like moving every 2-3 years.
Very good point. I agree unless Dino completely tanks hes here 2 more years.

JW and DB need a round of applause for putting together this staff after the last 3 years. This is a far cry from the Shafer years in terms of the athletic department buy-in. What an off-season so far… let’s hope this translates to W-L.
Gold star for JW

Great hire. Can’t ask for a better off season. Can’t question if the school is serious about FB. Too much experience to think we won’t be better. There’s not a thing to dislike since SU decided to stick with DB. This is how a program improves. Can’t wait for the fall.
Coaching is so critical for a program like SU. This staff on paper can compete with any staff in the ACC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom