Next Coach When Boeheim Retires | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Next Coach When Boeheim Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone be interested in Drew from Baylor? Can continue the zone for years to come!! Lol

I really wish we had assistants get HC jobs and develop.
Autry, McNamara hopefully get opportunity soon.

That is 35 years ago.
True... but you didn’t specify time.

I do agree, outside of Pitino, JB doesn’t have a huge coaching tree for as along as he has coached. Maybe a testament to his I’m in charge coaching style?

In comparison, Coach K has a pretty large tree.

True... but you didn’t specify time.

I do agree, outside of Pitino, JB doesn’t have a huge coaching tree for as along as he has coached. Maybe a testament to his I’m in charge coaching style?

In comparison, Coach K has a pretty large tree.
Orr had a decent run at Seton Hall.
Murphy is doing okay at Eastern Michigan.
Hop is doing well at Washington.
I want Autry and GMac to get jobs.

Is Mark Few even a possibility? Feels like he’s a Gonzaga lifer but would be high on my list even without East Coast connections.

No question I would take Few, but him and Boeheim are really good friends. JB talks about it time to time. For one I don’t think Few will leave there! He built that program and is a lifer like JB. He can go no wrong there. Couple that with no way he wants to follow JB.

Is Mark Few even a possibility? Feels like he’s a Gonzaga lifer but would be high on my list even without East Coast connections.
Hmmmm that's an interesting name I never thought about. Not sure how old he is. Obviously the west coast thing could be a sticking point. But to me he fits the model of an elite coach (or close to it) who may be fed up with being a big fish in a small pond out there and would relish showing his skills against a K, Roy, etc. on a more consistent basis.

Re: Cronin

He was born in Cincinnati and literally grew up next to campus. He went to HS and college there. He has a young daughter. He’s a Cincinnati lifer

Buzz Williams

I'd love to get Buzz at SU, but it's not going to happen. What's hopeful about Buzz is that he saw a move from Marquette to VT as a step up. Sometimes it's hard to see our move to the ACC as a positive. We lost our traditional rivalries and we are second class citizens to Tobacco Road, but when it comes to hiring a new coach, our membership in the ACC will be our third best asset (after the Dome, and the rabid, mouth-foaming, irrational fan base).

I'm betting its Gmac. Reason: SU loves to hire it alums. It will want a coach who will stay here for a long time (if he is successful) and Gmac fits that category. If you hire outside and that coach has success he will always be prone to leaving for a bigger playing program. SU will not want to have mutiple HCs over over 10-15 -20 years. Plus Gmac will come cheaper ($$$) initially. Now this doesn't mean that's my suggestion, but SU looks very fondly on hiring its alums and Gmac is a legend in the BB program. Plus Boeheim will have an influence on the next HC decision.
Im all in on SU hiring Gmac as long as they hire Hop, Jay, and Pitino as his assistants.

Not many programs go through these legacy transitions but I’d bet dollars to donuts that when most of them have the next coach is either on the bench already with the squad or it’s a close alum. I just cannot fathom it any other way here.

Not many programs go through these legacy transitions but I’d bet dollars to donuts that when most of them have the next coach is either on the bench already with the squad or it’s a close alum. I just cannot fathom it any other way here.

Alums or coaches on the bench:

Mike Hopkins
Gerry McNamara
Adrian Autry
Allen Griffin

If it ain't Hopkins, and is on this list, I'll be very disappointed. Being honest...

Alums or coaches on the bench:

Mike Hopkins
Gerry McNamara
Adrian Autry
Allen Griffin

If it ain't Hopkins, and is on this list, I'll be very disappointed. Being honest...
Hop is hoeing is own road now. I will never say never but just think it’s a long shot. Curiously after Syracuse’s fail with hiring a staff member after Marrone left I am kind of surprised so many people are in the “keep it in the family”camp. Sometimes new blood is a good thing. People also need to remember how they responded when Hop ran the team for 7 or 8 games 2 years ago. The majority on this board were clamoring for Jim to come back. Not saying you were one of them 44. I just think Syracuse will not have any patience for either Red or Mcnamara. When the time comes, we need new blood and need to trust the AD to get us the right guy..

How about Darian Devries @ Drake? He was Creighton's Hop (was on the staff before they got McDermott) and has done a great job with them #1 in the MVC his first season.

I don't think we need to 'nail' the next hire you want to be the guy who follows the guy that followed the guy not follow the guy. McDermott actually would be OK for 2-3 years even if hes not that amazing of a coach.

Shaka Smart is a guy I'd give a call to and see if he wanted a change of scenery. Chris Beard is going to be high on the shortlist.

4 years away from starting a search at minimum. The landscape of who’s hot and who’s not is likely to change multiple times between now and then.

I for one hope Gerry has a big few years on the trail and earns the job.

Can we be less realistic as a group when naming potential targets? Mark Few, Buzz Williams, Billy Donovan, Thad Matta are not possibilities.

Some guys I like...

Tommy Lloyd, Gonzaga

Few ain’t coming but TL can recruit internationally and would have great chance of transitioning from west to east seamlessly. Not sure he lasts on the market though? He has interviewed the last few years. Someone likely to scoop him this summer or next unless he pulls a HOP and waits for Few to retire. Maybe he could get inpatient in 4-5 years and with jB/Few relationship...maybe we sweep in?

Ron Sanchez, Virginia

JB is clearly fond of Bennett... maybe he feels same way about Sanchez? JB will clearly have influence on decision and if it’s not one of our assistants, Sanchez is a more proven commodity.

Matt McCall, UMass HC

Donovan not happening but MCcCall is a Donovan guy who was great at Chattanooga and now trying to turn UMass into a winner. If successful, he fits our timeline and we are a step up in program that would be hard to pass up. And he has HC experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom