Next Coach When Boeheim Retires | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Next Coach When Boeheim Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Because we won't open up the pocketbook or because we won't be able to attract such a person? If it's the latter, I think you're badly mistaken. This is a top 10-15 job.

Seems to me that any rational coaching candidate has to ask the questions, “If I go to SU, what are the odds that I do better than JB? Will the school be satisfied with doing about the same as JB did in recent years? What happens if I do worse?”

And, “How many years wil it take to install my system and recruit players who can run it, if It’s significantly different from Boeheim’s?”

They wouldn’t be a candidate unless they were doing well where they are.

SU will pay market rates. The basketball program is too valuable a source of revenue to the athletic department and the school not to. They will make every attempt to not kill the goose that has been laying the golden eggs for decades.

Seems to me that any rational coaching candidate has to ask the questions, “If I go to SU, what are the odds that I do better than JB? Will the school be satisfied with doing about the same as JB did in recent years? What happens if I do worse?”

And, “How many years wil it take to install my system and recruit players who can run it, if It’s significantly different from Boeheim’s?”

SU will pay market rates. The basketball program is too valuable a source of revenue to the athletic department and the school not to. They will make every attempt to not kill the goose that has been laying the golden eggs for decades.

I think your first question is off base.
I don't think any successor is going to measure himself against Boeheim, except for maybe how he has done in his last 5 years at the time he decides to hang 'em up.

He will know that he is expected to win 20+ games and make the NCAA tournament nearly every year.

Then what the heck are you trying to say?
Some people are going to be unhappy with whomever is hired. Just thought it was funny that the list of names from a collection of some folks is Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, Gmac, Autry, but no coaches without lots of NCAAT wins and no mid-major coaches.

Syracuse will be good job for someone. I don't think it is crazy to think it will be someone from a good mid-major/lower P5 school looking to step up regardless of how what their record looks like. It will be a challenge for whomever to replace a legend with his name on the court. I wouldn't disqualify anyone with a moderately successful program. They may have the chops, but not the resources to get over the bump.

Many SU fans didn't get on board with Boeheim until after 2003. And Boeheim had that chip on his shoulder for years. He still kind of does. Even after 2003, there were occasional grumbles from fans. I wouldn't be surprised if a solid percentage of the fan base is counting down the days to Boeheim's retirement now. That has never affected the school's calculations. Neither did the NCAA investigations when they had solid grounds to can him twice. This school will stick by you if you win consistently.

And in truth, whatever problem the fans had with Boeheim, it never stopped them from coming to games either. This town and university has a long, long track record of supporting this program to the hilt.

Last edited:
I’m really interested to see if Oats leaves UB this year and, if so, where does he go. I think he’ll be a strong candidate no matter where he is in 3 years.

Last edited:
I don't think any successor is going to measure himself against Boeheim, except for maybe how he has done in his last 5 years at the time he decides to hang 'em up.

He will know that he is expected to win 20+ games and make the NCAA tournament nearly every year.

Seems like your “win 20 games every year and make the Tournament every year” is pretty consistent with where JB has set the bar.

But to say, JB will cast no shadow over the program after 45 years is wishful thinking.

This new guy, whoever it is, will be compared to JB a thousand times. If there’s a negative to the SU job, it’ll be the reluctance of a currently “hot” coach to want to folllow a legend.

Many SU fans didn't get on board with Boeheim until after 2003. And Boeheim had that chip on his shoulder for years. He still kind of does. Even after 2003, there were occasional grumbles from fans. I wouldn't be surprised if a solid percentage of the fan base is counting down the days to Boeheim's retirement now. That has never affected the school's calculations. Neither did the NCAA investigations when they had solid grounds to can him twice. This school will stick by you if you win consistently.

And in truth, whatever problem the fans had with Boeheim, it never stopped them from coming to games either. This town and university has a long, long track record of supporting this program to the hilt.

And as the football attendance proves, it’s a fan base that will pay to see winners and stay home when they lose. Winning leads to big crowds and not the reverse.

I’m really interested to see if Oats leaves UB this year and, if so, where does he go. I think he’ll be a strong candidate no matter where he is in 3 years.
He's definitely leaving..all those seniors are going and UB will be back to being bad...you got to capitalize when you're hot and winning

By 20 wins I hope you mean regular season. With 31 games a 20-11 record should be a minimum. Which ironically JB has failed at the last 5 seasons.

This thread is going to be a bumpable gem in 4 years.

Anybody who is ruling out any possibility is crazy. We have a name, history, $ and an unbelievable fan base.

Are you saying you have confidence that SU will go big time, and not what many of us fear, the easy transition route to an assistant? I hope and pray JW has this absolute mindset and will truly seek out a star replacement.

Alright...Will Wade and Matt Painter...very nice work at those mediocre power 5 schools. Either of you interested in taking things up a notch?
Painter is an alum and Purdue is a great job. They’re underrated because Keady and now Painter have struggled in the tourney but they’re always good to great in Thebes regular season. They’ll get a Final Four eventually. That program is a great example of how you hand off a very good program from a legendary coach to the next generation. SU can follow that example, and we had a better version with Hop before he left.

Last edited:
First, SU will not outbid someone for a name coach. Not happening.
Second - SU needs to find the next Dino. Pressing, ballin' and shot callin'. The current offense and defense is the biggest buzzkill in college basketball right now. The defense just sits there. It creates few if any turnovers or FB opportunities.
What?!! Really? We're one of top turnover creating P5 teams in the nation THIS SEASON—and it’s been this way almost every year for decades. The zone distorts passing lanes and helps create turnovers. Always has. Our problem the past few years is that we’re not creating as many POINTS off turnovers as we always had before. That’s due to a couple of PGs that don’t push the ball on the break and don’t have great handles. Tyus has been better lately getting out on the fast break but we all know Frank’s limitations. We also need forwards that can fill the lanes better—and can finish (Oshae I’m looking at you).

Last edited:
Painter is an alum and Purdue is a great job. They’re underrated because Keady and now Painter have struggled in the tourney. They’ll get a Final Four eventually. That program is a great example of how you had off a very good program from a legendary coach to the next generation. SU can follow that example, and we had a better version with Hop.

They waited 5 years too long to push him out the door. Hopefully we aren’t doing the same.

Seems like your “win 20 games every year and make the Tournament every year” is pretty consistent with where JB has set the bar.

But to say, JB will cast no shadow over the program after 45 years is wishful thinking.

This new guy, whoever it is, will be compared to JB a thousand times. If there’s a negative to the SU job, it’ll be the reluctance of a currently “hot” coach to want to folllow a legend.

Do you think someone won't want the Duke job for the same reason?

JB's shadow will no doubt loom large. But I don't think coaches who would be potential successors really think that way. Sure, the old adage holds true, don't be the guy that follows the legend. Be the guy that follows the guy that followed the legend.

JB created a brand name in this sport. Finding candidates willing to take on the opportunity at this school will be the easy part. Finding the right candidate is the harder part.

Do you think someone won't want the Duke job for the same reason?

JB's shadow will no doubt loom large. But I don't think coaches who would be potential successors really think that way. Sure, the old adage holds true, don't be the guy that follows the legend. Be the guy that follows the guy that followed the legend.

JB created a brand name in this sport. Finding candidates willing to take on the opportunity at this school will be the easy part. Finding the right candidate is the harder part.

Well, if you agree that the old adage holds true, then don’t you think prospective coaches might also be affected by that too?

I’d be willing to bet that a good number of the candidates the wisdom of this board feels would be great, will not be interested.

And Duke as a point of comparison?

I wish it wasn’t true, but SU isn’t Duke.

Well, if you agree that the old adage holds true, then don’t you think prospective coaches might also be affected by that too?

I’d be willing to bet that a good number of the candidates the wisdom of this board feels would be great, will not be interested.

And Duke as a point of comparison?

I wish it wasn’t true, but SU isn’t Duke.

I don't think coaches that want a better job care about the old adage. But yes, there's a certain comfort that comes with replacing Bill Guthridge vs. replacing Dean Smith.

The Duke comparison was about replacing the legend who built it. Do you think they will get a smaller pool of candidates because coaches know that it's impossible to fill K's shoes? And he will most certainly loom large over that program.

I really wish we had assistants get HC jobs and develop.
Autry, McNamara hopefully get opportunity soon.
Hate to say it but for a guy coaching for over 40 years and is in the hall of fame, JB doesn't have much of a coaching tree

I don't think coaches that want a better job care about the old adage. But yes, there's a certain comfort that comes with replacing Bill Guthridge vs. replacing Dean Smith.

The Duke comparison was about replacing the legend who built it. Do you think they will get a smaller pool of candidates because coaches know that it's impossible to fill K's shoes? And he will most certainly loom large over that program.

Not that it’s critical, but I do think that the Duke job is at another level from the SU job and that it would attract candidates the SU program would not.

Not that it’s critical, but I do think that the Duke job is at another level from the SU job and that it would attract candidates the SU program would not.

I don’t disagree. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC are in Tier 1. Everyone else isn’t. (Sorry UCLA and Indiana, but not anymore).

Like who?

There's more than one good coach. If one of the only schools that could out-attract us is Duke, I'm fine with it. The SU job is a highly desirable job and we'll see that if we have an honest national search.

I wish we were talking about Herman Harried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom