Next Coach When Boeheim Retires | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Next Coach When Boeheim Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d be fine with Red...because it likely means we win the National championship in the next three years.

Continuity hires require you have results you’d like to see continue. If we’re a bubble team in JBs final years, hiring Red would be “going out of your way to lose the press conference”. And I think it’d lose the press conference unless there’s goodwill from a national championship.

What gives you such confidence in Autry?
Who are his biggest recruits?

What about Gregg Marshall ??

He's kind of old, isn't he? I think he's already 57. We don't want to hire a coach in his 60s, IMO.

I don’t agree that the next coach needs to “press”. How many guys have really had long term success full court pressing all the time? It’s a change the tempo defense.

I would welcome an emphasis on running off rebounds and being able to score in the halfcourt though.

Pitino has done alright with it. So did UNLV. Both pressed all game and then fell back into their base defense.

I like Buzz, too, and he seems like he really wants the job.
Hey IM, just curious where you saw or gathered that Buzz wants the job. Not saying you’re wrong, I just haven’t seen anything like that.

Pitino has done alright with it. So did UNLV. Both pressed all game and then fell back into their base defense.

That’s 2 in like 30 years. Nolan Richardson too. Smart for a couple years.

It’s the exception though.

Throwing the press on here and there: awesome. All game long, every game? Eh. Thought people didn’t like being predictable?

Arkansas still employs the same scheme under Mike Anderson who worked for Richardson in the 90's and they stink this year and he's on the hot seat. They also gave up 91 to us when Southerland went nuts against them in 2013. Pressing all game doesn't work like it did 20 years ago because now way too many players can shoot and you give up more open 3's against a press than you do against any defense.

I like Buzz, too, and he seems like he really wants the job.

I think Buzz is overrated. His teams are completely dependent on the 3 pointer and before you say he's coached at Marquette and VPI, it's interesting to note that Wojo is winning just as much as Buzz did at Marquette.

Arkansas still employs the same scheme under Mike Anderson who worked for Richardson in the 90's and they stink this year and he's on the hot seat. They also gave up 91 to us when Southerland went nuts against them in 2013. Pressing all game doesn't work like it did 20 years ago because now way too many players can shoot and you give up more open 3's against a press than you do against any defense.

Agreed.

And also think it’s very difficult to build the depth of fast, quick, players that are good at pressing. You need about 10 of them, if you’re going to press all game, every game.

And if you do, are those fast, quick players good at anything else? If they are, why would they all come to your school?

What gives you such confidence in Autry?
Who are his biggest recruits?

I have absolutely no confidence in Autry as a head coaching candidate. But - I think the only way he’s a plausible candidate is if we win a national championship in the next three years, which would build up some goodwill towards a continuity hire. That’s why I’d be OK with him being hired - it’s all about the conditions that would need to be met for that to actually happen.

I think Buzz is overrated. His teams are completely dependent on the 3 pointer and before you say he's coached at Marquette and VPI, it's interesting to note that Wojo is winning just as much as Buzz did at Marquette.

VA Tech has TWO NCAAT appearances between 1986 and Buzz. They are going to make their 3rd STRAIGHT. The three years before Buzz they had a LOSING record ever year.

This is Wojo’s 5th season. He has a losing record overall in the new new Big East. The league is watered down and prior to this year his best finish was 10-8 and tied for 3rd. He has made the NCAAT a grand total of one time. Give him credit for finding one of the best players in the country. But what happens when he leaves?

Well, I'm glad to see that all people want is an established winning coach from a P5 school or someone from the current SU bench.

This will go well.

Well, I'm glad to see that all people want is an established winning coach from a P5 school or someone from the current SU bench.

This will go well.

Why? Because we won't open up the pocketbook or because we won't be able to attract such a person? If it's the latter, I think you're badly mistaken. This is a top 10-15 job.

Why? Because we won't open up the pocketbook or because we won't be able to attract such a person? If it's the latter, I think you're badly mistaken. This is a top 10-15 job.

Yup. I think there’s always an underlying “we can’t have nice things” George Costanza white discoloration on the lip that he thinks is going to kill him, mentality with a lot of CNYers.

The Syracuse basketball job is a top notch job. I’m sure we’ll get a very good coach.

Plus, I'm not so certain SU underpays. Salary has to be significantly higher for cost of living in NYC, LA, even Philly; Syracuse HC pay has to be less than many other jobs in more expensive cities...

Plus, I'm not so certain SU underpays. Salary has to be significantly higher for cost of living in NYC, LA, even Philly; Syracuse HC pays has to be less than many other jobs in more expensive cities...

I'm not suggesting that they do underpay. That's something we won't know until after Boeheim packs it in.

I'm not suggesting that they do underpay. That's something we won't know until after Boeheim packs it in.

I’m thinking it’s in the school’s best intere$t$ that the SU basketball brand that puts 25,000 in the seats nightly and gives the school nationwide positive recognition, remains strong.

This will go well.

They just extended Dino and supposedly he got 4 million.

Someone here posted JB was given 3 million his last extension. That puts him in the top 15 of basketball coaches and is the same Tony Bennett makes.

Syracuse under Wildhack seems dedicated to investing in athletics.

Posted no such thing. I was only referring to what some posters have expressed in this thread.

I’m thinking it’s in the school’s best intere$t$ that the SU basketball brand that puts 25,000 in the seats nightly and gives the school nationwide positive recognition, remains strong.

Of course, you've got to be a blithering idiot to let this program wither on the vine. This is why I have absolutely zero interest in Boeheim having any role in choosing a successor. He's invested in his own guys but that's not the be-all, end-all of the basketball world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom