Next year’s backcourt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next year’s backcourt

yeah that's a good point. the NBA court is bigger too...so makes zone even harder to pull off

But

1. NCAA is now "new roster every season"
2. inexperienced teenagers trying to learn the intricacies of zone defense vs seasoned pros in 1 season
3. Miami has a lot more say in who actually ends up on their roster vs the Orange...most NBA players don't exactly pick their teams...

even then, the Heat were still an 8 seed...only 44-38 on the year...not exactly dominant

How many times was Syracuse "not exactly dominant", and then went on a tournament run like the Heat are doing now, because a well-played zone takes away some of the instinctive way players have been playing together all season long.

How many times was Syracuse "not exactly dominant", and then went on a tournament run like the Heat are doing now, because a well-played zone takes away some of the instinctive way players have been playing together all season long.
yeah its good in tourneys when you get the right matchups...and have the perfectly suited roster without any flaws in the players trying to execute it.

its also brutal when you dont.

but it got to ridiculous levels of backbending to try and keep it going lately...was the las decade of suckitude not enough for you???

players dont want to play it

recruits dont want to be in it

its a good tool to have in the toolbelt but it shouldnt be the unbreakable foundation of everything a team does, imo

red should use it at times next season...and Im sure he will...

yeah its good in tourneys when you get the right matchups...and have the perfectly suited roster without any flaws in the players trying to execute it.

its also brutal when you dont.

but it got to ridiculous levels of backbending to try and keep it going lately...was the las decade of suckitude not enough for you???

players dont want to play it

recruits dont want to be in it

its a good tool to have in the toolbelt but it shouldnt be the unbreakable foundation of everything a team does, imo

red should use it at times next season...and Im sure he will...

Tangential point: the whole ‘recruits don’t want to play it’ was always an odd thing to me, if true. The NBA has never seemed to count it against our guys - based on draft history - but recruits were seemingly scared it would hurt their draft chances. Idk, just one of those disconnects I’ve never seen connected, other than the random quote once in a while from a random NBA scout; which, again, never seems to be reflected in the actual draft actions of teams.

It’s moot now because Red will play mostly m2m by the sounds of it. That’s neither good nor bad, really. It takes a bullet out of the chamber in the NCAAT, imo, but that might be a trade off for a more skilled offensive roster.

I’d prefer if he goes m2m to stick with it and ignore the zone. There’s no reason to play zone if it’s just going to be the rec league garbage everybody switches to every once in a while for funsies. And that’s what it will be if it’s not the primary defense.

Tangential point: the whole ‘recruits don’t want to play it’ was always an odd thing to me, if true. The NBA has never seemed to count it against our guys - based on draft history - but recruits were seemingly scared it would hurt their draft chances. Idk, just one of those disconnects I’ve never seen connected, other than the random quote once in a while from a random NBA scout; which, again, never seems to be reflected in the actual draft actions of teams.

It’s moot now because Red will play mostly m2m by the sounds of it. That’s neither good nor bad, really. It takes a bullet out of the chamber in the NCAAT, imo, but that might be a trade off for a more skilled offensive roster.

I’d prefer if he goes m2m to stick with it and ignore the zone. There’s no reason to play zone if it’s just going to be the rec league garbage everybody switches to every once in a while for funsies. And that’s what it will be if it’s not the primary defense.
its a more recent thing...I think it stopped being as effective without the plus players and athletes which made for a slippery slope and other programs were able to recruit against it really well. and teams figured it out more and more...with the era of 3pt shooting...

with the right players the zone can still be amazing

you need long guards...fast and active forwards...and a center that is smart enough to make the right reads and big enough to scare teams...

problem is in the "off years" when the players arent right...you're basically throwing the season away before it starts...at least thats how it seemed lately...

this season - there's enough institutional memory of the zone...they all played it last year - I think they could do it well without much fuss...

its a more recent thing...I think it stopped being as effective without the plus players and athletes which made for a slippery slope and other programs were able to recruit against it really well. and teams figured it out more and more...with the era of 3pt shooting...

with the right players the zone can still be amazing

you need long guards...fast and active forwards...and a center that is smart enough to make the right reads and big enough to scare teams...

problem is in the "off years" when the players arent right...you're basically throwing the season away before it starts...at least thats how it seemed lately...

this season - there's enough institutional memory of the zone...they all played it last year - I think they could do it well without much fuss...
"They all played it last year" except for the three new starters and one reserve who transferred in, you are exactly right.

yeah that's a good point. the NBA court is bigger too...so makes zone even harder to pull off

But

2. inexperienced teenagers trying to learn the intricacies of zone defense vs seasoned pros in 1 season
3. Miami has a lot more say in who actually ends up on their roster vs the Orange...most NBA players don't exactly pick their teams...so I feel the Heat can actually customize their roster much better than Syracuse can

even then, the Heat were still an 8 seed...only 44-38 on the year...not exactly dominant
Mild nit, NBA and College court are the same size (94x50). Only difference is the 3 point line is longer and the lane wider in the NBA. I’m assuming that’s what you’re referring too when you say the court is bigger in the NBA.

But

3. Miami has a lot more say in who actually ends up on their roster vs the Orange...most NBA players don't exactly pick their teams...so I feel the Heat can actually customize their roster much better than Syracuse can

”The court is bigger” lmao.

"They all played it last year" except for the three new starters and one reserve who transferred in, you are exactly right.
7 players who got playing time last year are on the team again...so...maybe not "all" but enough to play the zone without it being a "rec league" version due to unfamiliarity

is that better for you?

Mild nit, NBA and College court are the same size (94x50). Only difference is the 3 point line is longer and the lane wider in the NBA. I’m assuming that’s what you’re referring too when you say the court is bigger in the NBA.
woops I didnt realize that! I thought the court is bigger in NBA

but yeah the 3 pt arc is bigger so more ground to cover...and the space on the corners seems different

I remember it is much bigger than High school

3 pt arc is bigger...more ground to cover...but yeah my mistake
Yeah, it’s not bigger. Neither is an NFL field vs a college one.

The NBA court gives the appearance of being larger especially today because how spaced the players are.

Yeah, it’s not bigger. Neither is an NFL field vs a college one.

The NBA court gives the appearance of being larger especially today because how spaced the players are.

NBA has to be getting to the point where the 3pt line needs to be pushed back again, which also means court might need a slight expansion too in time.

I remember some very funny threads about this a few years ago.