Next year's roster | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Next year's roster

How many of the 13 scholarship players will be on the roster October 15?

Votes: 21 22.8%

Votes: 33 35.9%

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters
Well feel free to be pessimistic. We started Dole and Griffin on the front line this year. The rebounding can’t get any worse. I haven’t even mentioned that a mediocre conference loses a lot of players this year. Huff..Wright..Brooks..etc.
Griffin's a good rebounder. 6.5 a game is pretty good for a SF.

Marek's not a great rebounder as a forward, and a worse rebounder as a center.

Buddy is going to score Carmelo level points next year so it’s just going to be about putting the requisite defense and rebounding around he, Benny and Kadary. I do think Braswell has 2013 Southerland like upside if he can get consistent playing time.
I like Braswell and I’ve always seen a Southerland-like development progression with him. But I just think Woody has a higher upside, which is why it’s disappointing that he’s been out of the rotation for so long. And we’re better when we have three (or four) really good forwards in the rotation. I’d love to see Benny, Bobby and either Woody or Quincy (or even Marek) as the 3 main forwards next season. I suppose they’ll also hit the portal for a top transfer. I’m skeptical about the Jimmy Jr talk but I also think it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:
Given what we are seeing from Buddy, Kadary, Bras and Jesse along with all the stuff around Benny, I think the ceiling (finally for a change) could be much higher. Could is the operative word. You factor in bring Jimmy in and having Joe( good Joe not bad Joe) along with Frank with a true off-season and there is a lot to like.

Gotta bring in more help at Guard and forward for the future though unless we start getting lots of movement from the 22 class.
I think there’s no doubt we’ll get at least one high level transfer from the portal.

I like Braswell and I’ve always seen a Southerland-like development progression with him. But I just think Woody has a higher upside, which is why it’s so disappointing that he’s been out of the rotation for so long. And we’re better when we have three (or four) really good forwards in the rotation. I’d love to see Benny, Bobby and either Woody or Quincy (or even Marek) as the 3 main forwards next season. I suppose they’ll also hit the portal for a top transfer. I’m skeptical about the Jimmy Jr talk but I also think it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

I agree with the Bras = Southy comp.

Also agree that Woody seemed to have more upside, and a better all-around game.
To me, he was giving me some serious Frosh CJ Fair vibes, where he played better than expected sooner than expected.

But then he ended up on a milk carton. :confused:

Unless we lose like ALL of our Forwards after this year for whatever reason(s), I really hope Jimmy does NOT transfer here.
He’s a solid mid-major type talent, but like his brother not a plus athlete or defender.
And we already have too many minus defenders getting minutes on the wings and top of the zone.

We need 3 Forwards, minimum.

Benny, Bras (assuming other guys leave, so he stays) and whichever other Forward doesn’t go, would be a nice rotation.
No matter if the 3rd Forward is is ANY of:
Marek, Candyman, Griff, or Woody.

To me, he was giving me some serious Frosh CJ Fair vibes, where he played better than expected sooner than expected.

Unless we lose like ALL of our Forwards after this year for whatever reason(s), I really hope Jimmy does NOT transfer here.
He’s a solid mid-major type talent, but like his brother not a plus athlete or defender.
And we already have too many minus defenders getting minutes on the wings and top of the zone.

Benny, Bras (assuming other guys leave, so he stays) and whichever other Forward doesn’t go, would be a nice rotation.
Last year, we lost all of our guards. This year we lost all of our starting forwards. After next year, we lose our current coaching staff???

I can understand losing Q and possibly Griffin (not sure if he had not left a better situation in Illinois). Braswell or Woody would be a strong candidate to leave. Guess it will be Woody looking for more playing time. We all know that not every commit works their way into the small rotation. With respect to Griffin, his style is more conducive to a run and gun style, shoot first and repeat offensive which requires better rebounding than what we had. Marek will be missed for his heady play. The team definitely will seemed under manned. It is a shame that people get labeled as not ready and do not get playing opportunity. Recourse is to leave.

We have Benny Williams coming in to play wherever SF/PF whatever he wants. Missing backups at SF/PF/G. Assuming JGIII and Kadary (if he does not leave) will do a 45-55 split at point unless a transfer is brought in to help out at guard and then who knows.

Not going to debate who goes and who stays, but one of the top reasons all of these players chose Syracuse is the chance to play in front of 30,000 fans. COVID robbed them of that opportunity, particularly the first year players. Might be a compelling reason for them to reboot for 2021-22,

JB doesn't know the answer to this question and we certainly don't. Two considerations: It doesn't have to make sense to us when guys jump to the pros and last year we had 5 guards one day and 2 the next. Roster turnover is going to be 30-40% a year and each team will have to be rebuilt every year. Being a college basketball fan is going to be like being a security camera in an elevator.

Say what you will about social media, but I think the fact that Woody removed all of his Cuse related posts a couple weeks back is pretty telling. College kids these days are really aware of the message they are putting out, and if you’re excited to be part of a college basketball team like Syracuse, you typically have something on your page letting people know.

Bras is going to become a very good defender and rebounder. Kid has an edge underneath that we need. I like his game more than Woody

Hopefully they get a few more chances to be monsters this year. If Kadary had been healthy we beat UVA the other day.

That and if Huff hadn't been wearing a 93 Jordan Bulls Jersey for the officials

I’ll take a 6’8, 215 lb 23 year old who averaged 17, 5, and 2 in his last season of college ball.

That’s a grown man that knows the college game who will be playing against plenty of skinny 18 year olds. Just don’t let him play center, please.

We still need a 4th guard
We still need a 3rd guard. I don't trust that Girard can accept a lessened role. He has proven time and time again that he is one-track minded.

That crap flies against Candor & Class C schools but won't fly against Louisville and Virginia.

If it is this:

G - Richmond (35), B. Boeheim (35), Girard (10)
F - Williams (30), J. Boeheim (25), Braswell (20)
C - Edwards (25), Anslem (15)

Our ceiling is a 6 seed, IMO.

If QG comes back, we are a Top 4 seed. He's the key.

Using exact numbers sure, but the difference between a probable 8 and my silly 6 isn’t enough to call it “silly”.
6 isn’t “silly” when JB sorta implied ‘massive upheaval.’ It would be bitchcakes bonkers in a normal year, though.

If it is this:

G - Richmond (35), B. Boeheim (35), Girard (10)
F - Williams (30), J. Boeheim (25), Braswell (20)
C - Edwards (25), Anslem (15)

Our ceiling is a 6 seed, IMO.

If QG comes back, we are a Top 4 seed. He's the key.
With all we’ve just seen, I have a tough time believing JB starts a freshman over his Senior Son. Benny will not be “ready” for big minutes. Somehow.

We might have to just concede that and consider it JB’s retirement gift.

This’ll
With all we’ve just seen, I have a tough time believing JB starts a freshman over his Senior Son. Benny will not be “ready” for big minutes. Somehow.

We might have to just concede that and consider it JB’s retirement gift.
worked out for the Morris twins at Kansas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom