next year's starting Backcourt | Syracusefan.com

next year's starting Backcourt

Shark58

BANNED
obviously Battle get the nod at 2

when its all said and done, who ends up running the point?

Frankie, Washington or Thorpe?

Battle, in my opinion, will be sliding to the 3 at various times because our forward spots are so weak. With that in mind we could see a good amount of Howard, Thorpe, Battle, Thompson and Moyer. OR have Thompson slide to the 4 and have Chukwu in the middle.

To begin the season I'm not sure. Eventually the backcourt will mostly be Thorpe and Battle. Battle will not play the 3. I think Brissett will be good and make that unnecessary.

Battle, in my opinion, will be sliding to the 3 at various times because our forward spots are so weak. With that in mind we could see a good amount of Howard, Thorpe, Battle, Thompson and Moyer. OR have Thompson slide to the 4 and have Chukwu in the middle.

Did you forget Brissett and Marek?

obviously Battle get the nod at 2

when its all said and done, who ends up running the point?

Frankie, Washington or Thorpe?
I think it will be Thorpe with Frankie having an outside shot. I would love to be wrong and have Frank come into his own and share with Thorpe and then have Thorpe spell Battle some. I can't imagine a scenario not involving injuries where Washington plays meaningful minutes once conference play starts.

Thorpe at the point and Battle at the Shooting guard.
What is flying under the radar a bit is how good this starting backcourt is going to be defensively. Battle really picked it up as the season went on and one of Thorpe's strengths is defense. If Thompson can figure out how to play the center spot on D we should have a really solid defense with athletic wings that can block out and rebound. This could be the difference for this team being a really really good team rather than an average team.

I think Howard starts at pg, but is leash is as short as it possibly can be, Battle is not playing the 3 unless something crazy happens.

seems to me, looking from the outside, that Boeheim has put a lot of his cred on the line for Frank Howard, so I'd expect him to get every shot at locking it down. But I don't want to root for anyone and make him "my guy" so I don't put myself in the position of rooting against anyone else. Regardless of who is the nominal starter, I am hoping that all 3 of Battle, Thorpe and Howard are effective. That would be 3 long bodies and sets of arms switching in and out of the lineup at the top of the zone, hopefully giving no rest to opposing guards on the defensive end. Hope they can instill some of Rob Murphy's Shut It Down attitude this year!

It all comes down to whether Frank Howard can get his head / attitude on straight and improve. If he does, then we have a lot of lineup flexibility.

If not, then Thorpe and Battle start and play the lion share of minutes. I don't view Thorpe as a pure point, but he'll be more than adequate in a versatile backcourt with another guy who can handle / pass.

Frank starts, then is probably out by the first dead ball a lot for Geno. If he doesn't put it together quick then JB won't wait to bench him too long like last year.

Starting to think that if the forwards can't make jumpers Battle is going to end up seeing time at the 3. Can't play 3 inside players at once.

If 72 and Frank starts that's two guys who could get the famous first deadball hook. With a freshman starting in one of the three other spots it could be 3 getting an early hook until the trust is built with JB.

What I can predict is whatever the starting 5 is for the first game there could be 3 different guys in the starting lineup by the time ACC play starts.

I don't see Tyus playing a minute at the 3, myself. I think Moyer will be the one that really surprises with his shot. Marek, I have no clue. Sounds like he will be a 3, and can shoot well enough. OB is a beast, and would like to see him end up being the 4. That backline of MM/TT/OB/MD is gonna be good, and will work itself out.

TT is strictly playing the 5, I think. Lydon style. He could be a stretch 4 in the NBA, or would at least be a 4, but will be a 5 here. I think he's a better finisher around the basket than Lydon was too. Just need to force him to walk around campus with his hands up, and good to go.

gillon and Atrey carrying most of the load last year. i don't want to be GRAD TRANSFER U.
i find it even less palatable the ONE AND DONE.

If Frank starts he will have the tightest leash ever seen IMO. Honestly after last season I think it would be better for him to cone off the bench trying to prove he belongs. He started last year and was looking over his shoulder from the get go. Once he lost his mojo he was as done.

"Once he lost his mojo he was as done."

and the staff put in so many syllables post game to build that mojo back up. not !

gillon and Atrey carrying most of the load last year. i don't want to be GRAD TRANSFER U.
i find it even less palatable the ONE AND DONE.

We won't need to go this route after this one. Maybe an exception, or two in the next 5 years. We are young, and with 2018 full of talent, we will be back to normal. Plus, once the damn sanctions are done will help. Buddy coming to SU would be huge, so we can stick it to the NCAA for one, and he's a damn good player with a lot of potential.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to have the Grad transfer card in your back pocket. We gave the spotlight to White to possibly be drafted. If he is, then that's huge. Without seeing what White, and Gillon did last year, then I would guess that we wouldn't have Geno. Who is better than most freshman we wanted will be.

Hell, we could have got one that was one and done like Geno. Even if he didn't get us far, but just has the NBAs favorite word, potential. I like the experience of being in College for 4 years already. A transfer year in there to work, and learn then he came out and did pretty well on an awful USF team.

If Frank starts he will have the tightest leash ever seen IMO. Honestly after last season I think it would be better for him to cone off the bench trying to prove he belongs. He started last year and was looking over his shoulder from the get go. Once he lost his mojo he was as done.

I really hope he can get his head together, and take advantage of whatever role he is given. Just do what you can to help the team. Otherwise, I know HW will, and Frank can head off to Towson. Hope that isn't the case, and we have a Senior PG leading the way.

"Once he lost his mojo he was as done."

and the staff put in so many syllables post game to build that mojo back up. not !

JB has talked up Frank a lot this off-season. He knows he's a bit fragile, but if he can't get it together then he isn't gonna play and hurt the team. I know he has the talent, but by now he shouldn't have to be coddled. He should be hungry to start, and play well. Geno shouldn't even cross his mind for anything other than being a good teammate with him.

Marek is 6'-9", less than 200# and a foreigner. My expectations are low. Maybe a fast bloomer and Melo Center hog. Van Horn was a 240# American.
It's a big joke by now. Van Horn was a freak dunker, freak scorer, made his school known. Owned the end of games too. But I still think Marek has potential to do some things Van Horn did. As well and as legendary? Big shoes to fill for 9 out of 10 5 star recruits so most likely not.

I agree. Although I think it's shorter leash not tighter. I think you tighten collars not leashes. Probably doesn't matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom