NFL Thread - 2018 | Page 93 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2018

Panthers doing everything in their power to cough this game up.

That was the worst 2 minute drill I have ever seen.
I mean wow. Newton was awful and had no urgency I won my fantasy football championship where I was tied and my opponent had
Cam and Michael Thomas and I had Christian McCaffrey.
Wow I am stoked.

Ugly game. I’ll take it. Time to clinch the 1 against Pittsburgh next week.

Thanks to Melancer who helped me save last weeks season.
13-1. No perfect season but I will take it. Thanks Saints D
EB72A9C7-C4B9-46EC-A5B5-0AC2CC4ED5CA.jpeg

Thanks to Melancer who helped me save last weeks season.
13-1. No perfect season but I will take it. Thanks Saints D
View attachment 147366
Nice job! I'm in the finals this week but face an uphill battle this week. Gotta give it my best to defend my 2017 title but admittedly am a little over-matched if I'm being objective. You never know I guess.

The Brilliant and Sensible Plan That Would End NFL Kickoffs Forever and Make Football Way More Fun

The kickoff is the rare endangered species that deserves extinction. The Braveheart-like collisions that make the play exciting are also what make it so dangerous, and the NFL’s (good and effective!) player safety rules have essentially rendered kickoffs pointless. In 2010, just 16.4 percent of kickoffs resulted in touchbacks. As of Week 15 of this season, the league-wide touchback rate is 61.9 percent. While NFL teams still have to trot out 11 special teams players after every score, what follows is little more than an empty ceremony—guard mounting without the funny hats. The only fix is to get rid of it completely.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has a favored replacement in mind, one he’s been talking about since at least 2012. In a shocking twist, his idea is brilliant. Rather than kicking the ball off a tee, the scoring team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line in a 4th-and-15 scenario. They could elect to punt, or they would have the option to go for it and keep possession with a successful conversion. Exciting!

The Brilliant and Sensible Plan That Would End NFL Kickoffs Forever and Make Football Way More Fun

The kickoff is the rare endangered species that deserves extinction. The Braveheart-like collisions that make the play exciting are also what make it so dangerous, and the NFL’s (good and effective!) player safety rules have essentially rendered kickoffs pointless. In 2010, just 16.4 percent of kickoffs resulted in touchbacks. As of Week 15 of this season, the league-wide touchback rate is 61.9 percent. While NFL teams still have to trot out 11 special teams players after every score, what follows is little more than an empty ceremony—guard mounting without the funny hats. The only fix is to get rid of it completely.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has a favored replacement in mind, one he’s been talking about since at least 2012. In a shocking twist, his idea is brilliant. Rather than kicking the ball off a tee, the scoring team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line in a 4th-and-15 scenario. They could elect to punt, or they would have the option to go for it and keep possession with a successful conversion. Exciting!

Every team would punt unless it’s an onside kick scenario.

Every team would punt unless it’s an onside kick scenario.

I think that's kind of the point. It doesn't tilt things too much more in favor of the offense, but it adds the potential for more excitement to the game. As the article mentions, roughly 61% of kickoffs result in touchbacks. Looking at punting stats, 28% of punts (excluding touchbacks) result in a fair catch, so you'd have an actual football play to watch the overwhelming majority of the time with this new rule. And if they don't opt to punt, you have an even more exciting play to watch. At the same time, you'll probably see more conversion attempts than you currently do onside attempts.

I 100% am on board with this idea. The fact that the kickoff still exists is among the dumbest rules that the sport has, along with the touchbacks on fumbles through the end zone.

I think that's kind of the point. It doesn't tilt things too much more in favor of the offense, but it adds the potential for more excitement to the game. As the article mentions, roughly 61% of kickoffs result in touchbacks. Looking at punting stats, 28% of punts (excluding touchbacks) result in a fair catch, so you'd have an actual football play to watch the overwhelming majority of the time with this new rule. And if they don't opt to punt, you have an even more exciting play to watch. At the same time, you'll probably see more conversion attempts than you currently do onside attempts.

I 100% am on board with this idea. The fact that the kickoff still exists is among the dumbest rules that the sport has, along with the touchbacks on fumbles through the end zone.
Don't mind the idea. I do think it should be 4th and 17 or 4th and 20, I don't think 15 is enough. IMO you want the gamble to be there in trying to keep possession. I'm just talking out loud. Does anyone have percentages/stats on 4th and 15th conversions or 4th and 20, etc-would love to see those. IMO the chance to keep possession should be 15 percent or less.

Don't mind the idea. I do think it should be 4th and 17 or 4th and 20, I don't think 15 is enough. IMO you want the gamble to be there in trying to keep possession. I'm just talking out loud. Does anyone have percentages/stats on 4th and 15th conversions or 4th and 20, etc-would love to see those. IMO the chance to keep possession should be 15 percent or less.
The original suggestion for this rule which was by Greg Schiano when he was Tampa Bucs HC was you would punt from the 30 or have 4th and 18.
The logic was the mathematicians did the research and found 4th and 18 was converted at the same rate as an onside kick.

It's pot.

They aren't suspending guys for alcohol.
Actually Gordon substance abuse includes all alcohol and drugs.
He can’t drink or he violates the NFL substance policy.

Actually Gordon substance abuse includes all alcohol and drugs.
He can’t drink or he violates the NFL substance policy.

If we are being honest here and pot wasn't an illegal substance/banned by the NFL I doubt it would have ever got that far with just alcohol.

If we are being honest here and pot wasn't an illegal substance/banned by the NFL I doubt it would have ever got that far with just alcohol.
Alcohol was added because of Gordon opening mouth and admitting he would drink before and during games.
Thus, the admission was used to add on to what he was tested for and he failed numerous tests of blood alcohol level. thus he became a repeat offender.
His original suspension though was over weed.

Alcohol was added because of Gordon opening mouth and admitting he would drink before and during games.
Thus, the admission was used to add on to what he was tested for and he failed numerous tests of blood alcohol level. thus he became a repeat offender.

Exactly. He did bong rips before games too. My entire opinion on that is it is no different that guys getting shot up with pain meds/opiates so they can play.

And the second suspension was basically entrapment. He was on the plane after the last game of the season and one of the assistant coaches encouraged him to have a drink. The NFL was waiting for him with a test right when the plane landed.

Ugh. No thanks Roger. That sounds awful.

And the second suspension was basically entrapment. He was on the plane after the last game of the season and one of the assistant coaches encouraged him to have a drink. The NFL was waiting for him with a test right when the plane landed.

Yep. Legalize weed he never gets suspended in the first place.

His problems run a lot deeper than weed.
Tom E. Curran who is locked in on the Patriots beat last night on TV said it was weed.
Patriots knew he had a weed problem and they wouldn’t have taken the risk on him if it was more serious drugs.
He couldn’t and he got popped for weed.
It’s the rules so oh well but Gordon’s problems have been weed and alcohol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom