NFL Thread - 2020 | Page 276 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2020

If Houston doesn’t hire a minority HC. Then the NFL really needs to do more to incentivize it.

Give the comp picks to the teams that hire minority coaches the following year’s draft.

It’s ridiculous these guys getting chances.
I get the outrage over lack of minorities, but you can't force someone to hire a coach.

I get the outrage over lack of minorities, but you can't force someone to hire a coach.
I didn’t say force anything.
I said give incentives.

It’s a joke people like Campbell, this Eagles hire and Falcons hire get chances and minority coaches don’t.

If Houston doesn’t hire a minority HC. Then the NFL really needs to do more to incentivize it.

Give the comp picks to the teams that hire minority coaches the following year’s draft.

It’s ridiculous these guys getting chances.

I think if you have to keep raising the incentive and aren’t seeing much in the way of results or opportunities then at some point you have to realize the incentive isn’t the problem.

I didn’t say force anything.
I said give incentives.

It’s a joke people like Campbell, this Eagles hire and Falcons hire get chances and minority coaches don’t.
Couldn't tell you why Campbell got a job, The Colts oc's name has been talked about as a possible hc before, I get it. The Rooney rule was put into place and it works, it's the reason Tomlin is the Steelers coach. They had no intention of hiring him, they interviewed him, he blew them away and they hired him, the process works. I don't know why Bienimy hasn't got a hc job yet, he has had some legal issues in the past, could be that.

I think if you have to keep raising the incentive and aren’t seeing much in the way of results or opportunities then at some point you have to realize the incentive isn’t the problem.
Teams hiring if they got draft picks might give minority coaches at chance at HC.

Right now the NFL is giving compensation to the teams the minority coaches are hired from.

I was against giving it to teams that hire but this chit this cycle has turned me to flip flop.

Teams hiring if they got draft picks might give minority coaches at chance at HC.

Right now the NFL is giving compensation to the teams the minority coaches are hired from.

I was against giving it to teams that hire but this chit this cycle has turned me to flip flop.
Teams should be free to hire who they think is the best fit for their team, not because they can get a draft pick out of it.

Yeah I don't get it. Most of the teams in the nfl have had a black HC at one time or another. For whatever reason teams are passing on Bieniemy. Don't think it's due to racism.

Teams should be free to hire who they think is the best fit for their team, not because they can get a draft pick out of it.
Why are you going here?
You disagree fine.
You are changing my point.

If teams got draft compensation for taking a chance on a minority coach it would give minority coaches a better chance which they aren’t getting right now.

I am not saying only hire minority coaches. I am saying that the hiring process isn’t giving many minority coaches a chance to get HC jobs.

There is no reason for Matt Patricia to get a chance as a HC or Dan Campbell to get a chance or Adam Gaze to get 2 chances and Todd Bowles or Leslie Frazier can’t get 2.

Yeah I don't get it. Most of the teams in the nfl have had a black HC at one time or another. For whatever reason teams are passing on Bieniemy. Don't think it's due to racism.
Its def not racism, its one of two things, the legal issues in his past I mentioned before, or they think this is Andy Reid's offense and he isn't that responsible for the success. Even though the Reid coaching tree has been very good.

Why are you going here?
You disagree fine.

If teams got draft compensation for taking a chance on a minority coach it would give minority coaches a better chance which they aren’t getting right now.

I am not saying only hire minority coaches. I am saying that the hiring process isn’t giving many minority coaches a chance to get HC jobs.

There is no reason for Matt Patricia to get a chance as a HC or Dan Campbell to get a chance or Adam Gaze to get 2 chances and Todd Bowles or Leslie Frazier can’t get 2.
They are getting chances, plenty are getting interviews, and jobs, there are only 30 jobs they aren't easy to come by. Patricia deserved a chance, he failed miserably. Todd Bowles 100 pct deserves another chance, he had a 10 win season with the Jets, Frazier probably does as well. No idea why Campbell got a job other than the Lions are a chitshow.

Its def not racism, its one of two things, the legal issues in his past I mentioned before, or they think this is Andy Reid's offense and he isn't that responsible for the success. Even though the Reid coaching tree has been very good.

Jeff Lurie hired a black HC for the eagles nearly 25 years ago. So now we figure racism enters into his calculus?

Why are you going here?
You disagree fine.

Maybe the answer is to have Bill Belichick continually hire black assistant coaches. The rest of the NFL seems to think hiring a Belichick assistant is the solution.

Maybe the answer is to have Bill Belichick continually hire black assistant coaches. The rest of the NFL seems to think hiring a Belichick assistant is the solution.
I guess Alsacs forgot all about Brian Flores.

I think this argument goes out the window when the team hires an OC from Andy Reid's coaching tree who doesn't call the plays on a worse offense.

I guess Alsacs forgot all about Brian Flores.
I know about Flores. He is doing a great job.
Romeo Crennel got a HC after being NE DC winning 3 SBs.
Patriots have another minority coach Jerod Mayo who will be a HC in the future.

The hiring process has become a joke.

I think this argument goes out the window when the team hires an OC from Andy Reid's coaching tree who doesn't call the plays on a worse offense.
Ive also heard nfl guys said Bienemy hasn't interviewed well, who knows, it doesn't help that KC goes deep in the playoffs every year. I'm just tired of people crying racism all the time, The first coach with a Muslim background is having his Press Conference with the Jets right now.

I know about Flores. He is doing a great job.
Romeo Crennel got a HC after being NE DC winning 3 SBs.
Patriots have another minority coach Jerod Mayo who will be a HC in the future.

The hiring process has become a joke.
Robert Saleh was just hired, the first coach with a Muslim background.

Ive also heard nfl guys said Bienemy hasn't interviewed well, who knows, it doesn't help that KC goes deep in the playoffs every year. I'm just tired of people crying racism all the time, The first coach with a Muslim background is having his Press Conference with the Jets right now.
I'm not saying it's total BS that Bieniemy hasn't gotten a head coaching job. I'm obviously not in those interviews so I can't say whether or not he's really giving terrible answers or whatever. Just pointing out the whole "he doesn't call plays!" thing is BS as we've seen numerous guys get hired without being the playcaller (and also, Bieniemy does do some of the play-calling, moreso than many of the guys that do get hired).

That's a fair point. Ultimately though it's a judgment call and I really think substantially all of these NFL teams are just interested in trying to hire what they believe is the best candidate for the job. In Philly's case they want the best available puppet so that Jeff and Howie can call all the shots.

That's a fair point. Ultimately though it's a judgment call and I really think substantially all of these NFL teams are just interested in trying to hire what they believe is the best candidate for the job. In Philly's case they want the best available puppet so that Jeff and Howie can call all the shots.

I don't necessarily agree. Andy Reid hadn't even been an OC when the Eagles hired him as HC. I remember Lurie saying that he was blown away by Andy's detailed plans.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not viewing this through rose-colored glasses. But there IS precedent for a hire like this.

I don't necessarily agree. Andy Reid hadn't even been an OC when the Eagles hired him as HC. I remember Lurie saying that he was blown away by Andy's detailed plans.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not viewing this through rose-colored glasses. But there IS precedent for a hire like this.

I hear ya. But Lurie has shown an inclination to meddle quite a bit including picking some of DP's head coaches. It's easier to pull that nonsense on a younger unproven HC. There's something else at work here though- Jeff and Howie persistently wish to present themselves as the smartest guys in the room. Consensus says draft Justin Jefferson? Nope we're gonna draft Jalen Raegor who most thought of as a second rounder. So this out of the box coaching choice seems like another example of that.

Who knows it could be a great hire. Reid was an awesome choice and Dougie P worked out well too though it's important to remember that their first two choices were Gase and McAdoo.

One thing about Lurie - he was never going to hire a defensive coach. He's all about the offense.

I hear ya. But Lurie has shown an inclination to meddle quite a bit including picking some of DP's head coaches. It's easier to pull that nonsense on a younger unproven HC. There's something else at work here though- Jeff and Howie persistently wish to present themselves as the smartest guys in the room. Consensus says draft Justin Jefferson? Nope we're gonna draft Jalen Raegor who most thought of as a second rounder. So this out of the box coaching choice seems like another example of that.

Who knows it could be a great hire. Reid was an awesome choice and Dougie P worked out well too though it's important to remember that their first two choices were Gase and McAdoo.

One thing about Lurie - he was never going to hire a defensive coach. He's all about the offense.
I heard the Eagles really wanted Lamb and were thrown off when the Cowboys picked him.

Well, depending on whose evaluation you look at, (I've always looked at Fro Football Focus), Reagor was rated higher than Jefferson. Of course, PFF loved Arcienega Whiteside. So maybe I need to place more value on other analysis. I think that, in general, Lurie has picked good head coaches. I was even psyched about the Chip Kelly hire, which, although it was terrible, seemed like an exciting out-of-the box hire.

My issue remains Roseman, particularly his draft record. He's been good at filling out his rosters and keeping control over the cap (although this year will be tough. But he's missed on too many picks, especially their top ones.

Hey, Lurie brought us a Super Bowl. I'm willing to cut him more slack than I am for Howie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom