NFL Thread | Page 167 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right. We shall see.
Bill Barnwell did this last year.

Projecting future Hall of Famers for all 32 NFL teams

Eli Manning might make the Hall of Fame, which is going to infuriate a lot of people. On numbers alone, Eli shouldn't be there. He has made four Pro Bowls, and while he has put together a very nice second peak after the arrival of Ben McAdoo, nobody who watches Manning on a week-to-week basis thinks that he looks like a Hall of Famer by any stretch of the imagination. The basis for his candidacy, then, is winning two Super Bowl MVP awards in victories over the Patriots, and Manning will get bonus credit for beating the previously undefeated 2007 Patriots. (The memories of Eli nearly throwing the game away with an interception on the play before the Helmet Catch have already mostly disappeared.) The list of guys who have won Super Bowl MVP two or more times includes Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, Joe Montana and Bart Starr. They're all in (or will be in) the Hall of Fame. I'd also argue that Eli doesn't belong on a tier with those passers because of what they all did in the other hundreds of games they each played over the course of their respective careers. I wouldn't vote for him, but some will. 40 percent

Eli Manning might make the Hall of Fame, which is going to infuriate a lot of people. On numbers alone, Eli shouldn't be there. He has made four Pro Bowls, and while he has put together a very nice second peak after the arrival of Ben McAdoo, nobody who watches Manning on a week-to-week basis thinks that he looks like a Hall of Famer by any stretch of the imagination. The basis for his candidacy, then, is winning two Super Bowl MVP awards in victories over the Patriots, and Manning will get bonus credit for beating the previously undefeated 2007 Patriots. (The memories of Eli nearly throwing the game away with an interception on the play before the Helmet Catch have already mostly disappeared.) The list of guys who have won Super Bowl MVP two or more times includes Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, Joe Montana and Bart Starr. They're all in (or will be in) the Hall of Fame. I'd also argue that Eli doesn't belong on a tier with those passers because of what they all did in the other hundreds of games they each played over the course of their respective careers. I wouldn't vote for him, but some will. 40 percent
Not saying he will be first ballot, but when all is said and done, he's in.

It really isn't the HOF anymore. It more like the Hall of really good. The modern game and its pro-offense rules have ruined stats career stats forever.

BTW listening to Tony Romo for 15 minutes I learned more and was more entertained than I had from Phil Simms in 15 years.

CBS made a giant upgrade to its top team.

Yeah, Romo is already probably my favorite commentator.

Regarding Eli, I think the Super Bowl rings will ultimately get him in, but I don't think he should be.

I also think that in this era, there will be so many QBs that put up similar numbers to Eli that his case will get weaker and weaker the longer he has to wait. He's probably as close to the borderline as there is right now.

Look at Kurt Warner he didn't have longevity but when he played he dominated.
Was an NFL MVP.
Won a SB and lost 2 others.
Brought his team to the playoffs a lot.
He was dominant at his position.
His career is better than stat patting Eli Manning.

The HOF should mean something.

Best QBs of the 2000s
Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Rothlisberger.

McNabb has good stats but he isn't getting in the HOF.

Rivers, Romo don't have rings.

Eli has rings and pat starting but was never dominant.

HOF should be the best of the best.

Not rewarding stat patting.
Kurt Warner is a bad example.

As of now, he went to the playoffs in same amount of years, as Eli did.

And Eli hasn't lost his job, 3x.

Somebody has to be the worst HOFer of his generation, if that someone is Eli, then great.

See you in Canton.

I'll take a Jack on the rocks.

Kurt Warner is a bad example.

As of now, he went to the playoffs in same amount of years, as Eli did.

And Eli hasn't lost his job, 3x.

Somebody has to be the worst HOFer of his generation, if that someone is Eli, then great.

See you in Canton.

I'll take a Jack on the rocks.
Warner won a regular season MVP.
He finished 2nd another time.
Warner filled that post Elway/Marino pre Peyton/Brady Era.
Eli has never dominated a regular season and earned a single MVP vote.

Eli is Jim Pluckett with better stats because of the Era he plays in.
Pluckett won 2 SBs as a starter and didn't make the HOF.

In the short term Giants may have been better off with Warner from 04-09 than Eli, but that was never going to happen.

Warner won a regular season MVP.
He finished 2nd another time.
Warner filled that post Elway/Marino pre Peyton/Brady Era.
Eli has never dominated a regular season and earned a single MVP vote.

Eli is Jim Pluckett with better stats because of the Era he plays in.
Pluckett won 2 SBs as a starter and didn't make the HOF.
This was fun till you made the Plunkett reference, we both know there is no comparison.

Both of us need to get our teams in gear here quickly...

In the short term Giants may have been better off with Warner from 04-09 than Eli, but that was never going to happen.
Except Warner needed time for his thumb to properly heal, which he finally got in Arizona.

Not sounding good for David Johnson. Dislocated wrist, could be out 2-4 weeks or 3-4 months.

Not sounding good for David Johnson. Dislocated wrist, could be out 2-4 weeks or 3-4 months.
They will sign Chris Johnson or trade for Dion Lewis.

They will sign Chris Johnson or trade for Dion Lewis.
I've heard McFadden mentioned as well. And Matt Jones was released by the Colts over the weekend.

This is why havingthe #1 pick in your fantasy draft...sucks.

In addition to having to wait forever for your next pick, then-going again, then driving to Canada and back before your 4th, is you often get 'stuck' with a guy.

I didn't want him, but it was him or Bell, and Bell IMO was going to be rusty then was a quad, groin or hammy just waiting to happen.

Just lovely,fantastic even...

In addition to having to wait forever for your next pick, then-going again, then driving to Canada and back before your 4th, is you often get 'stuck' with a guy.

I didn't want him, but it was him or Bell, and Bell IMO was going to be rusty then was a quad, groin or hammy just waiting to happen.

Glorious.

Auction draft should be standard for every league.
Computer random order snake draft make luck more important than they should be.

Auction makes it so if you want a player then overpay for them. You can have a top heavy team or a more balanced team that way.

These friggin primetime kickoff songs. My God! Can we please end this crap?!

I think that's fairly accurate. Despite being a bland, easy going guy, assessing his career is something that seems to polarize a lot of people. I think his candidacy is borderline but I would bet he gets in. The two SBs and the fact he plays in NY will get him over the line.

I think that's fairly accurate. Despite being a bland, easy going guy, assessing his career is something that seems to polarize a lot of people. I think his candidacy is borderline but I would bet he gets in. The two SBs and the fact he plays in NY will get him over the line.
And his name. But it isn't just the Super Bowls. It was the playoff games that led to those Super Bowls.

And his name. But it isn't just the Super Bowls. It was the playoff games that led to those Super Bowls.

Both of those are very fair points. But he's had a lot of mediocrity in between the success. Without checking I'd say he probably has more turnovers than any other QB of his generation.

Just as an aside, Donovan McNabb's teams probably won as many playoff games, won a higher percentage of their games (btw Eli is 30 wins out of his last 66) and McNabb turned the ball over a lot less than Eli. And if we want to talk about talent around him then Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mithcell and James Thrash please take a bow. Yikes!! But McNabb never won a SB so he's unlikely to get in. Maybe they should have a special wing in Canton for Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.