NFL Thread | Page 173 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jets will hire a young offensive guy next year if they get one of those top 3 qbs.

I never had a problem with the Jets until Rex started popping off about owning the city and I started working with a Jets fan who looks, talks, and even acts a little like Andy from The Office around that same time. He was all smug about their chances too. Since then, I've been enjoying their suffering.

* Rex is gone and I don't work with Andy lookalike anymore, but I still dislike them solely because of them. Don't know why either.

Last edited:
So what's the culprit in your opinion? I think it's a combination of several things.
I think the game is losing its luster.

Terrible, inconsistent officiating and too many breaks in the action.

Speaking from a small market team with QB issues for a decade, I'll always watch the Bills but am sick of a sport dominated by Quarterback play and the Patriots. I'd suspect I'm not totally alone in that.

Being the NFL on ESPN, maybe a tiny percentage of backlash to Jemele Hill/Anthem Kneeling but way down the list, imo.

Speaking from a small market team with QB issues for a decade, I'll always watch the Bills but am sick of a sport dominated by Quarterback play and the Patriots. I'd suspect I'm not totally alone in that.

Being the NFL on ESPN, maybe a tiny percentage of backlash to Jemele Hill/Anthem Kneeling but way down the list, imo.
Throw in concussions and cord-cutting and we're on the same page.

Edit: Meant to say it's all those things, plus the fact the levels of finesse and execution are not what they once were, thanks in large part to the new CBA. I don't think you can blame the refs for that. It doesn't matter how good the refs are, no one can make a mutt into a purebred. That said, I have some sneaky suspicions about the officiating which shall go unmentioned, except to say it's been trending downhill since the officials' strike.

Last edited:

I would add overexposure. Too many games at various times of the week. TNF is a bad idea.

Also the Red Zone. I frequently watch football games with a group of 6-7 guys and usually most of our time is spent watching Red Zone. That has to hurt ratings.

I agree with you that the national anthem issue is down the list but it for sure has had impact.

Edit: Meant to say it's all those things, plus the fact the levels of finesse and execution are not what they once were, thanks in large part to the new CBA. I don't think you can blame the refs for that. It doesn't matter how good the refs are, no one can make a mutt into a purebred. That said, I have some sneaky suspicions about the officiating which shall go unmentioned, except to say it's been trending downhill since the officials' strike.

Suspicions in the Donaghy category?

I would add overexposure. Too many games at various times of the week. TNF is a bad idea.
This. And Thursday night football games are my most hated thing right now (officiating consistency being a close 2nd), along with the actual players most hated thing also.

This. And Thursday night football games are my most hated thing right now (officiating consistency being a close 2nd), along with the actual players most hated thing also.

TNF is a dumb idea and everyone knows it. It's so dumb the League can't bear to admit it, so they're continuing it under the pretext that it's somehow a success.

Football in London is right behind it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he win a Heisman while at OU?

His days with LA were marred by two bad injuries while also playing behind terrible OLs.

The guy needs time and a running game to be effective. Not unlike every other QB in the league not named Rogers. If he stays healthy he's going to have a big year. He sure as hell doesn't suck.
Bradford's already hurt.

TNF is a dumb idea and everyone knows it. It's so dumb the League can't bear to admit it, so they're continuing it under the pretext that it's somehow a success.

Football in London is right behind it.

Nothing says you care about player safety more than making the guys strap the helmets back on 4 days later:bat:

Nothing says you care about player safety more than making the guys strap the helmets back on 4 days later:bat:

Neither the league office nor the owners have ever given a single solitary schit about the players. They'll change their approach after they start losing money, but they still won't care anything for the welfare of the players.

Or making the Dolphins and Bucs play 16 weeks straight instead of moving their Week 1 game to a neutral site.

Neither the league office nor the owners have ever given a single solitary schit about the players. They'll change their approach after they start losing money, but they still won't care anything for the welfare of the players.

New Orleans D is atrocious. Drew Brees can't take the haircut on the salary cap that Brady does cause of his wife.

New England is playing average still.
Brees good they were lucky to hold them to 13.

Kinda OT - I really like Romo so far. Good to have someone who played FB so recently in the booth.
He is so good and tells you what you don't know.
Breath of fresh air.
On that 3rd and 5 he knew Brady only snapped it because NO had 12 on the field.

Kansas City is number one team in the NFL.

They look really good.
They blitzkrieged New England and now beat a good Philly team.

Status
Not open for further replies.