NFL Thread | Page 266 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not Kaiser, but given the different nature of the sports, I don't think any player from football can be a Michael Jordan. Any player on a basketball court can do any basketball thing. Football is far more specialized.

Agreed.

If you were to do a draft, with all the players that ever played in the NBA, Jordan would be one of the first ones picked, if not a lock to be #1.

No way is Brady close to that for the NFL. He isn't even the first QB taken, most likely.

NE has to be a 90% favorite at this point and that might be low. Only possible loss I can see is if the Jags D plays the game of the year but even then I cant see Bortles scoring 20+ pts. Jags only chance is to knock out Brady.

It has been done in a league championship game

Guys, it’s a rule.

A fairly simple one at that.

Why try to confuse it??

How about...don’t leave the field till the game is over??!!

It was also being reviewed...

That's like saying the home team should still bat in the bottom of the 9th when they are ahead because the game isn't over.

It’s really not. You guys are crazy.

I guess you could put in a ‘Rule’ where if you are winning by more than 3, with no time on the clock in regulation, you could ‘forfeit’ the XP. Unless both teams agree to end it.

But if it’s 1 or 2pts you still must run the play...but I’d guess that would confuse too many anyway.

It would be an unnecessary rule.

The present rule is the unnecessary one.

Agreed.

If you were to do a draft, with all the players that ever played in the NBA, Jordan would be one of the first ones picked, if not a lock to be #1.

No way is Brady close to that for the NFL. He isn't even the first QB taken, most likely.
What are your alltime QB rankings?
Just wondering.
I do think QBs would be the first picks of an alltime draft.
I think Antonio Brown is better than Jerry Rice. I just don’t think Brown will put up anything close to Rice numbers.

You want separate rules for the playoffs, we get it.

And that’s just dumb.

We’ve explained the regular season rule.

We're just looking for a separate rule for the playoffs on kicking an extra point with no time left because the reason for having such a rule in the regular season does not exist in the playoffs. For years the NFL had overtime only for playoff games. So "separate rules" does have a precedent.

The present rule is the unnecessary one.

Agreed. I’m still curious how they got the Saints out there though. You just lost in the playoffs, you’re going back out there for a formality while the crowd goes wild? What if the players just refused? What would happen?

Agreed. I’m still curious how they got the Saints out there though. You just lost in the playoffs, you’re going back out there for a formality while the crowd goes wild? What if the players just refused? What would happen?
In 1998 the Patriots beat the Bills in a contraversal ending. The Bills refused to comeback out and Vinateri instead of kicking ran the ball in for 2.

They can change it all they want, hope they do, but AGAIN, now you are making multiple rules within rules.

2 points or less, you must snap...more than that and you can forfeit it??

Unnecessary.

And I don't care how far down the tiebreaker list it is...it's there.

But there is no tiebreaker in the post season. if the reason for a rule has been eliminated, eliminate the rule. The fact that nobody even tries to score on the additional "play" makes it doubly pointless.

Please, u know what I mean.

Player contracts ended on 12/31 anyway.

It's a rarity for sure, but it has to be there and it has to be uniform.

U can't have the saints say fluck it and leave the field while the Giants stay with honor and they kick.

And that...I would say...involves the handshake with Vegas.

Honor? What did 'honor' have to do with it? A pointless play degrades the integrity of the game. The NFL was a laughingstock when that 'play' was run.

Patriots have been cheating since 1998*
I am beating Kaiser before he says it.
Watch this clip from 7:15 to about 7:40.
Bills refused to come out for XP.

If the Vikings do win next week, how much of a home field advantage does everyone think they will have in the Super Bowl? Or does the way they distribute tickets for it prevent it from getting too carried away?

It has been done in a league championship game

Yup. And people gave the Giants little chance in that one. Hostetler vs. Montana. Giants hope was to win a defensive battle.

Major differences being the Giants were a battle tested perennial contender and it was stupid for people to write them off vs. SF (and Buffalo) as they’d gone 13-3 and had evenly played wars with the Niners and Bills in the regular season and were one of the clear top 3 teams all year.

If the Vikings do win next week, how much of a home field advantage does everyone think they will have in the Super Bowl? Or does the way they distribute tickets for it prevent it from getting too carried away?
If it’s Jacksonville it will be a huge advantage.
If it’s New England I think they will bring more fans but an advantage for the Vikings.
Home team only gets 5% of the tickets.
When the SB was in MetLife my buddy a Jets fan got SB Tixs as the home team gets some to give to season ticket holders. He was going to sell them to me if the Pats beat Denver but didn’t.
Each team in the game gets 7.5% of the tickets.

I don’t think it would be a huge advantage more than the team could sleep in their own beds and not have any travel.

Agreed.

That would be a fun thread.

That's like saying the home team should still bat in the bottom of the 9th when they are ahead because the game isn't over.
No it's most certainly not.

What are your alltime QB rankings?
Just wondering.
I do think QBs would be the first picks of an alltime draft.
I think Antonio Brown is better than Jerry Rice. I just don’t think Brown will put up anything close to Rice numbers.

You would take Antonio Brown, at 5'10" over Jerry Rice at 6'2"?

If you want my rankings in terms of career I guess I would put Brady or Montana #1 for QBs. But that isn't how I measure who is the best player.

If I'm doing a draft, not knowing who my coach/owner/etc would be, I'm not taking Brady #1. I'm not taking him as my first choice QB, either. I would, at the least, based on QBs I have seen (so no Unitas, Graham, etc), take Montana, Marino and Manning ahead of him. Potentially Elway if we are talking about today's game.

Bill Russell has handfuls of titles, but I wouldn't put him above Michael Jordan. Wilt averaged a ridiculous number of points and boards (and everything else), but I wouldn't put him above Michael Jordan. So maybe Russell has had the best career of any NBA player in terms of winning, but that doesn't mean I'm drafting him #1 overall in an all-time NBA draft.

Brady is a first ballot HoFer. Arguably the best career of anyone in the NFL. Doesn't mean he is the best NFL player.

Honor? What did 'honor' have to do with it? A pointless play degrades the integrity of the game. The NFL was a laughingstock when that 'play' was run.
Flicking enough!!!

U guys make it seem I'm for the rule, I'm not.

I'm just explaining it and why it's there.

This is the 1st time we have had a walk off with no time remaining in the post season.

There was no need to address it before hand.

They should and will not change it for regular season.

If they do great, if not...I couldnt give less of a flying fluck if I tried.

Personally I like seeing weird shlit like that.

And yes, 'honor' and respect for the game...is what brought some guys back out.

You would take Antonio Brown, at 5'10" over Jerry Rice at 6'2"?

If you want my rankings in terms of career I guess I would put Brady or Montana #1 for QBs. But that isn't how I measure who is the best player.

If I'm doing a draft, not knowing who my coach/owner/etc would be, I'm not taking Brady #1. I'm not taking him as my first choice QB, either. I would, at the least, based on QBs I have seen (so no Unitas, Graham, etc), take Montana, Marino and Manning ahead of him. Potentially Elway if we are talking about today's game.

Bill Russell has handfuls of titles, but I wouldn't put him above Michael Jordan. Wilt averaged a ridiculous number of points and boards (and everything else), but I wouldn't put him above Michael Jordan. So maybe Russell has had the best career of any NBA player in terms of winning, but that doesn't mean I'm drafting him #1 overall in an all-time NBA draft.

Brady is a first ballot HoFer. Arguably the best career of anyone in the NFL. Doesn't mean he is the best NFL player.
I would take Brady over Peyton.
Elway was one of the most physically gifted QB in NFL history.
Marino had the quickest release.
Brady over Montana as well for me.

I think Brown is just better than Rice. He runs every route and is unstoppable 1 on 1.
I saw Deion shut down Rice.
Rice was ahead of his time and was just a lot better than everyone else from his time.
The top 3 WRs I have seen play are Rice, Randy Moss, and Antonio Brown. Brown’s height may not be that high but I would take Brown.

Not Kaiser, but given the different nature of the sports, I don't think any player from football can be a Michael Jordan. Any player on a basketball court can do any basketball thing. Football is far more specialized.
Can't make the comparison, but it will be a very long time, if ever...before anyone compares to Brady's Championship pedigree.

Bradshaw and Montana are the undefeated ones, he's the one with most.

Basketball is just so unique because guys play the whole game 'both ways' and are a part of just about every play in some capacity.

Can't make the comparison, but it will be a very long time, if ever...before anyone compares to Brady's Championship pedigree.

Bradshaw and Montana are the undefeated ones, he's the one with most.

Basketball is just so unique because guys play the whole game 'both ways' and are a part of just about every play in some capacity.
Yeah I get it but the NFL is the most popular sport in the country and that would be the Caveat in his favor.
If they win Sunday that would be 8 SB appearances in 16 years as starter.

Yup. And people gave the Giants little chance in that one. Hostetler vs. Montana. Giants hope was to win a defensive battle.

Major differences being the Giants were a battle tested perennial contender and it was stupid for people to write them off vs. SF (and Buffalo) as they’d gone 13-3 and had evenly played wars with the Niners and Bills in the regular season and were one of the clear top 3 teams all year.

All that is true and kudos to the NYG for going on the road and beating a very good Niner squad but even then they still needed the generosity of one Mr. Roger Craig.

Status
Not open for further replies.