Nick Carparelli | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Nick Carparelli

My opinion is based on something. And much more than reading a LinkedIn profile.

Funny thing is, I don't feel compelled to present evidence on a public Internet forum. This isn't a court of law and feel free to dismiss.
reading the Tea Leaves I take it you've seen his stand on Canal St...

OrangePA said:
Wasn't Lynn Swan just named AD at another private school - USC? It seems to me that Nick as far more experience with college athletic administration than does Swan.

Being better than the lowest set bar doesn't mean good.

I have no idea if he's a good candidate but I trust Syverud on this one. What just happened was an anomaly I don't expect to repeat.

Wasn't Lynn Swan just named AD at another private school - USC?

It seems to me that Nick as far more experience with college athletic administration than does Swan.

In fact, he seems to have substantial college athletic experience - especially college football administrative experience.

I don't know the guy but I do respect the opinion of Mike Tirico - a member of the SU Board of Trustees. If Mike thinks that Nick is a solid candidate - as do Pete Thamel and Sean McDonough - I can't argue with that.
He was, and many people that care about their athletics were incensed because of how poor of a hire it was.

OrangePA said:
For clarification purposes, the reference to the LinkedIn profile was made only after a number of prominent SU alums announced publicly that Nick would be a great candidate.

I get it. I honestly have zero clue about this guy. All I see is that he was an associate commissioner for leagues that have multiple associate commissioners. And he's a senior director in an organization where that role is several rungs down the ladder.

If he's AD material I imagine Syverud knows it. That a few alums have advocated for him doesn't mean much to me. If we want to play that game then hundreds more haven't. Does that mean something? I suspect no.

MadNY3 said:
My opinion is based on something. And much more than reading a LinkedIn profile. Funny thing is, I don't feel compelled to present evidence on a public Internet forum. This isn't a court of law and feel free to dismiss.

Not sure why you shared anything at all then? Not a very compelling opinion.

My opinion is based on something. And much more than reading a LinkedIn profile.

Funny thing is, I don't feel compelled to present evidence on a public Internet forum. This isn't a court of law and feel free to dismiss.
I have don't worry :) no value added to the discussion

I want the job too, so that doesn't matter.

maybe because he helped the bigeast so immensely...that not 1 of their former 15 schools even offered him a 'consulting' job and instead hes been doing nothing but selling t-shirts for a few years now??

I wouldn't base my qualifications for my next job on the fact that I used to bus tables at the Days Inn when I was younger and didn't advance the hotel chain any further.

Do you check all the boxes and are you as qualified as him? If so, then great, throw SU your resume and get an interview for the job.

It does matter that he wants the job, there are some out there that are very qualified that don't. Coil being one of them so he moved on. The Northern Illinois AD didn't even want to be a candidate for the job last time, that should tell you something.

He's got no shot.
Hello - is this thing on?
upload_2016-5-14_20-53-39.jpeg

Not sure why you shared anything at all then? Not a very compelling opinion.

The opinion is vested. The reasons why are frustrating you. Totally get it.

usc has always done it that way.

it seems to me that the 'AD' at usc is there to schmooze alumni into giving them $$, not to actually run the dept.

their football team makes a hell of a lot more $$ than ours does...and Pat Hadyn likely left the dept in a much better position that gross did and NOW...its obviously a Fn HUGE MESS.

I cant imagine anyone who is there now, really wants to be there...other than a few holdovers from the Jake era.

this is not a job for a rookie.

I was on board, but this an absolutely glorious morning...theres not a cloud in the sky, its warm, the mimosas are great and ive come to my senses.

winter hangover is gone.

no to nick.

this job is above his pay grade.

Okay. I guess Mike Tirico is wrong.

Oh well, it seemed like a good idea.

I get it. I honestly have zero clue about this guy. All I see is that he was an associate commissioner for leagues that have multiple associate commissioners. And he's a senior director in an organization where that role is several rungs down the ladder.

If he's AD material I imagine Syverud knows it. That a few alums have advocated for him doesn't mean much to me. If we want to play that game then hundreds more haven't. Does that mean something? I suspect no.

Mike Tirico is not simply an alum.

He is a fairly knowledgeable and high profile sports professional who also is a member of the Board of Trustees.

I really don't know if he's right, but I take his opinion seriously.

I, too, hate when people tease info in a post. But that doesn't mean they are wrong for not being 100% transparent on a message board like this.

Mad has credibility on this topic. Take solace that this is just as valuable as opinions coming from broadcast alums.

Last edited:
He was, and many people that care about their athletics were incensed because of how poor of a hire it was.

I guess that's why he is so distinguishable from Carparelli.

I trust your opinion and understand where its coming from.

Was LinkedIn mentioned in the post you're replying to? Furthermore, you did feel compelled enough to present a strongly negative opinion on a "public Internet forum". Just not compelled enough to back it up. But then again, compelled enough to disspell the notion of being compelled to do anything. Makes sense - dismissed, if you wish ))

BTW, have no idea about the Canal St stand UEO (and apparently you) are referring to. But why such secrecy, and what is/was so bad about it to not even want to reveal it? Not trolling here - would really like to know the basis for his disqualification in your (strong) opinion. Kaiser at least somewhat explained his stance, and it's understandable - if not debatable.

MadNY3 said:
The opinion is vested. The reasons why are frustrating you. Totally get it.

An opinion without sharing anything as to how you came to that decision is the board equivalent to "I love lamp"

Edit: if enough ppl here say it has merit, I guess it has merit. But yeah, totally frustrating

Last edited:
So why is it taboo for others to "understand where it's coming from?"
Why do 'you' have to know?? Why do 'you' need to understand??

This is an Internet message board, nobody 'owes' anybody anything.

But I'll explain Canal St for you. I said Nick has been 'selling' t-shirts since his Big East days, Canal St in NYC is where one finds a bunch of knockoffs and cheap merchandise on. Hence, his 'stand.'

And Opa...Hell, for all we know Tirico and Carparelli may be friends or share the same agent and he's being used to get a message out. Tricolor (love the autocorrect here) seems to be a pretty busy man, doubt he knows much about both Nick and what's going on up on the Hill.

An opinion without sharing anything as to how you came to that decision is the board equivalent to "I love lamp"
It's Sunday Reverend, Sometimes you need to just read the scripture and take it for what it is, or try to find the meaning and reason behind it on your own...instead of just debunking it and walking away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 007
KaiserUEO said:
Why do 'you' have to know?? Why do 'you' need to understand?? This is an Internet message board, nobody 'owes' anybody anything. And Opa...Hell, for all we know Tirico and Carparelli may be friends share the same agent and he's being used to get a message out. Tricolor (love the autocorrect here) seems to be a pretty busy man, doubt he knows much about both Nick and what's going on up on the Hill. It's Sunday Reverend, Sometimes you need to just read the scripture and take it for what it is, or try to find the meaning and reason behind it on your own...instead of just debunking it and walking away.

I love lamp