NIL Law update | Syracusefan.com

NIL Law update

This is why I repeatedly laughed in the face of posters that said the NCAA should have a NIL cap or whatever.

the ncaa is dead. they have no authority to do anything. It’s gonna have to be a group of schools that get together and decide to pay the players and we’ll see who’s in and who’s out.

NCAA should just blow it up now. They essentially have no authority. Just tear it down and start over. I honestly can't even imagine where this is headed. College sports will never be the same again, they need to convene and start over. The college playoff committee has been a disaster. They need one umbrella and one voice. Until that happens, there will be no direction and no path forward.

It’s all coming to a blow-up.

The Jr NFL will be the SEC and Big Ten (and a few others P5 will become the P 30.

Syracuse has the right person to navigate with Wildhack and the Chancellor (now) totally gets it. I think we land well in the new next tier.

Related…the movement on women’s sports is truly happening. An economically weakened ESPN is investing in this area. Having good basketball and lacrosse programs here are legit helpful.

why is that HS can have rules on paying players and transfers and such and ncaa teams that agree to rules can't enforce them?

No one made the players sign up and play under these rules. They knew them all going in as well.

NCAA should just blow it up now. They essentially have no authority. Just tear it down and start over. I honestly can't even imagine where this is headed. College sports will never be the same again, they need to convene and start over. The college playoff committee has been a disaster. They need one umbrella and one voice. Until that happens, there will be no direction and no path forward.
imagine it does blow up and then you have all these empty stadiums arenas around campus with no one to use them.

If colleges get out of the business where do all these players go, no pro league is gonna go 2-300 deep

why is that HS can have rules on paying players and transfers and such and ncaa teams that agree to rules can't enforce them?

No one made the players sign up and play under these rules. They knew them all going in as well.
That's what's weird about the NCAA. It's supposed to be the member institutions agreeing to a set of rules to govern themselves. Then the same institutions do all they can to usurp the rules they developed and agreed to follow.

imagine it does blow up and then you have all these empty stadiums arenas around campus with no one to use them.

If colleges get out of the business where do all these players go, no pro league is gonna go 2-300 deep
I said the NCAA, that does not mean the colleges themselves. Too much money to be made. The NCAA is more of a governing body which no longer can control anything. What good are they now? They take money off the top and set rules to make everyone play under the equal playing fields. They can’t do that anymore. They are a joke.

Colleges will continue to play big time sports. They will not continue to profit like they have been. Everntually they will have to form a league where contracts are signed and collectively bargained. Lot of money still to be made. But need to cut down on the number of mouths to feed.

I said the NCAA, that does not mean the colleges themselves. Too much money to be made. The NCAA is more of a governing body which no longer can control anything. What good are they now? They take money off the top and set rules to make everyone play under the equal playing fields. They can’t do that anymore. They are a joke.

Colleges will continue to play big time sports. They will not continue to profit like they have been. Everntually they will have to form a league where contracts are signed and collectively bargained. Lot of money still to be made. But need to cut down on the number of mouths to feed.
The NCAA is the colleges. It's not an outside entity. The colleges may decide to form a new and different governing body for revenue sports and include rules to directly pay players and negotiate with a player's union. When/if that happens, we'll see how it all plays out. They were never going to be able to control NIL because it was money coming from outside sources that, in theory, was not connected to player/team performance.

I think two things are true. The players will get paid and, from a fan perspective, the most enjoyable years of college sports are behind us (and have been for a while).

Not all colleges will continue playing big time sports.

Perhaps they should drop all none revenue generating programs from every school then. That will free up the money to pay the labor.
If anything the opposite could happen because the non-rev sports athletes are much more likely to give money to both sides of the house than the rev sports athletes. University hierarchies are paid to care about the academic side of the house and they will take actions based on that responsibility. The Ivy/D-3 model of need-based scholarships only will start looking better to a lot more schools.

If anything the opposite could happen because the non-rev sports athletes are much more likely to give money to both sides of the house than the rev sports athletes. University hierarchies are paid to care about the academic side of the house and they will take actions based on that responsibility. The Ivy/D-3 model of need-based scholarships only will start looking better to a lot more schools.

For the universities, the appeal of revenue sports is that some of that money makes its way to the academic side; it doesn’t stay stuck on the athletics side. So it would be the difference between getting hundreds of thousands or millions up front from athletics or hoping the field hockey team goes on to be doctors who are generous with their donations.

Until very recently, there weren’t many viable options. The NCAA has such a huge portion of top coaches, facilities, and TV rights, there was nowhere else to go.

and the assumption that when this blows up there will be money and a place to go? Look at LIV. no one is watching and it still has some really good players. Its not making any money its just subsided to stay afloat. Once this blows up who pays attention other than a few thousand local people? Its like all the minor leagues that few pay attention to now in the major sports.

For the universities, the appeal of revenue sports is that some of that money makes its way to the academic side; it doesn’t stay stuck on the athletics side. So it would be the difference between getting hundreds of thousands or millions up front from athletics or hoping the field hockey team goes on to be doctors who are generous with their donations.
There have been several peer-reviewed studies that show that athletic success has no bearing on donations to the academic side. It does increase the number of applicants, however. I can't speak at all to how private schools do things, but for state schools, many (most all?) have to deal with laws that prohibit state tax money going toward athletics, so athletic money has to stay on the athletic side of the house to pay those bills.

The NCAA is the colleges. It's not an outside entity. The colleges may decide to form a new and different governing body for revenue sports and include rules to directly pay players and negotiate with a player's union. When/if that happens, we'll see how it all plays out. They were never going to be able to control NIL because it was money coming from outside sources that, in theory, was not connected to player/team performance.

I think two things are true. The players will get paid and, from a fan perspective, the most enjoyable years of college sports are behind us (and have been for a while).
Ahh, I disagree. The top conferences are dictating the way this is going. Not the NCAA. This is not about what’s good for every college. This is about what is good for 30-40 colleges.

My point, imo the NCAA is a total joke and cannot properly manage or dictate rules for the fairness of the sport. So if people and conferences are not listening to the oversight of college athletics, then what are they even doing?

This is why I repeatedly laughed in the face of posters that said the NCAA should have a NIL cap or whatever.

the ncaa is dead. they have no authority to do anything. It’s gonna have to be a group of schools that get together and decide to pay the players and we’ll see who’s in and who’s out.

Perhaps, what is more comical, is those that thought NIL was actually NIL and not a facade for what it truly is, pay for play. Possibly, it was there where those particular posters you laughed repeatedly in their faces at were implying?

There are hard caps and soft caps in the professional arena (NFL, NBA, etc.) so I imagine it can apply here in some form once the fabricated "student athlete" moniker of today finally goes by the waste side and they are labeled appropriately as minor league type professionals that they are.

There have been several peer-reviewed studies that show that athletic success has no bearing on donations to the academic side. It does increase the number of applicants, however. I can't speak at all to how private schools do things, but for state schools, many (most all?) have to deal with laws that prohibit state tax money going toward athletics, so athletic money has to stay on the athletic side of the house to pay those bills.

There are a couple different things at play there. Athletic success and profitability or revenue aren’t directly correlated. And just relying on donations to measure the difference isn’t going to give an accurate picture.

Taxpayer money can’t go to athletics but that doesn’t mean the money coming in from athletics has to stay on the athletics side. Most of it does, but some makes its way back to the school. That “some” can be millions, in practice.

Edit: and most importantly, the revenue generating sports are usually what fund the other sports at a school. So the world where revenue generating sports don’t exist at a school and the non-revenue sports do, is an unlikely world.

Perhaps, what is more comical, is those that thought NIL was actually NIL and not a facade for what it truly is, pay for play. Possibly, it was there where those particular posters you laughed repeatedly in their faces at were implying?

There are hard caps and soft caps in the professional arena (NFL, NBA, etc.) so I imagine it can apply here in some form once the fabricated "student athlete" moniker of today finally goes by the waste side and they are labeled appropriately as minor league type professionals that they are.
How? You can’t tell someone they can’t sign a contract to endorse themselves. In sports they cap what they can get from teams. They can’t cap what someone can make in endorsements. NIL is impossible to curtail in the way you discuss. People could do this very thing in the NFL or NBA. I could go to my favorite player and tell them, I will give them 1 million dollar endorsement deal if you go to the Packers. Nothing would stop that from happening.

The only avenue is to put limits on actual pay for play if the schools were giving money out directly. But again, the players would still be able to sign endorsement deals because they are selling themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom