NIL Law update | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NIL Law update

How? You can’t tell someone they can’t sign a contract to endorse themselves. In sports they cap what they can get from teams. They can’t cap what someone can make in endorsements. NIL is impossible to curtail in the way you discuss. People could do this very thing in the NFL or NBA. I could go to my favorite player and tell them, I will give them 1 million dollar endorsement deal if you go to the Packers. Nothing would stop that from happening.

The only avenue is to put limits on actual pay for play if the schools were giving money out directly. But again, the players would still be able to sign endorsement deals because they are selling themselves.

You missed my point, it's not truly NIL, it's pay for play. Of course, in regards to true NIL, the only limitation is you and what your market is.

Yeah, don't get me started on that 2nd paragraph either. As I posted in a different thread, imagine a world that your business entity had millions upon millions of dollars running through your fingertips annually consistently. And, you somehow quite miraculously, got your customers to buy into to this premise which they pay for your employees raises and promotions, etc., meanwhile reaping all the financial benefits to boot. Quite the utopia.

Last edited:
NCAA should just blow it up now. They essentially have no authority. Just tear it down and start over. I honestly can't even imagine where this is headed. College sports will never be the same again, they need to convene and start over. The college playoff committee has been a disaster. They need one umbrella and one voice. Until that happens, there will be no direction and no path forward.

As long as they keep cashing checks, they're not going to blow anything up.

Maybe colleges out to get out is the business of sports, and concentrate on the business of education.

They have employees. The NCAA has fought the employee/employer relationship. Therefore, they have no right to restrict outside earnings. This is the result.

Yup. I’ve been on the ‘make them employees’ train for a while now. Until that happens, they can’t control anything these guys do.

Maybe colleges out to get out is the business of sports, and concentrate on the business of education.

That leaves us as fans stuck with the NFL and NBA. The NFL is fine. The NBA not so much; it’s a tough watch.

There won’t be a minor league football system that will work and we see that the existing NBA minor league doesn’t work, from a fan perspective.

Perhaps, what is more comical, is those that thought NIL was actually NIL and not a facade for what it truly is, pay for play. Possibly, it was there where those particular posters you laughed repeatedly in their faces at were implying?

There are hard caps and soft caps in the professional arena (NFL, NBA, etc.) so I imagine it can apply here in some form once the fabricated "student athlete" moniker of today finally goes by the waste side and they are labeled appropriately as minor league type professionals that they are.
Nope, you can go back and read the posts. I mentioned multiple times it would be like the nba capping shoe deals.

Ahh, I disagree. The top conferences are dictating the way this is going. Not the NCAA. This is not about what’s good for every college. This is about what is good for 30-40 colleges.

My point, imo the NCAA is a total joke and cannot properly manage or dictate rules for the fairness of the sport because they're not allowed to by the bluebloods who have put themselves in charge. So if people and conferences are not listening to the oversight of college athletics, then what are they even doing?
FIFY. The NCAA can only do what its members allow it to do. That's why it had to sit on the sideline and watch the debacle that conference realignment has become and not act upon it. Then, if they talk about formulating rules for the membership to approve, the courts strike them down because they don't have an antitrust exemption like the NFL has.

The labor was paid with a full ride.

Good ol barter system at least for sure. Not only to the free ride you mentioned, stipends have been in play for sometime as well.

Moreover, perhaps one of the most significance, the immense platform and opportunity extended to showcase their abilities on such a huge stage, all of the exposure, use of state of the art facilities, etc., to improve themselves upon, without any real tangible cost to them, etc. What's the monetary value on all of that?

Good ol barter system at least for sure. Not only to the free ride you mentioned, stipends have been in play for sometime as well.

Moreover, perhaps one of the most significance, the immense platform and opportunity extended to showcase their abilities on such a huge stage, all of the exposure, use of state of the art facilities, etc., to improve themselves upon, without any real tangible cost to them, etc. What's the monetary value on all of that?
They tried to sell that to the Supreme Court. It failed.

The labor was paid with a full ride.
That’s not money, it’s a benefit. The value is set by the university. How many people work at SU for free tuition and not a paycheck? Zero. None. Nada. No one.

That’s not money, it’s a benefit. The value is set by the university. How many people work at SU for free tuition and not a paycheck? Zero. None. Nada. No one.
So? Employees are not=students. Sports not = work. Athletes getting a full ride get something worth about 70k per year. In the end, the current situation will wreck college sports and could lead to many fewer student athletes with a small percentage compared to today getting the benefit.

The market (NIL) has shown that certain players services are valued at more (and some cases MUCH more) at more than the “cost” of a scholarship/room/board/etc.

It’s never going to happen again.

The market (NIL) has shown that certain players services are valued at more (and some cases MUCH more) at more than the “cost” of a scholarship/room/board/etc.

And the market values most athletes at much less. Sad they will lose out someday because college sports becomes professional.

NIL is not “the market”. If these players want the market to pay them they can try their hand at the pros.

And the market values most athletes at much less. Sad they will lose out someday because college sports becomes professional.
Sure. Just as it does CEO vs janitors
Could be considered sad to some, yep

NIL is not “the market”. If these players want the market to pay them they can try their hand at the pros.
Why didn’t the ncaa use this argument in their case?

Why didn’t the ncaa use this argument in their case?
NIL= Name, Image, Likeness. That is what they are supposedly being paid for.
If they are great athletes the pros would pay them. The market has always been there.

As long as they keep cashing checks, they're not going to blow anything up.
I can only imagine the leagal fees they are going to utilize. A lot of wasted dollars for something that will never win. Flushing money down the toilet. Which is why I think they should instead utilize that money to revolutionize sports and start over.

That's what's weird about the NCAA. It's supposed to be the member institutions agreeing to a set of rules to govern themselves. Then the same institutions do all they can to usurp the rules they developed and agreed to follow.
And the governing board of the NCAA becomes complicit by allowing the blue bloods to slide but punish others for minor offensives to show how honest and straight they are.

They have employees. The NCAA has fought the employee/employer relationship. Therefore, they have no right to restrict outside earnings. This is the result.
Even when that relationship changes to employee/employer, they'll still have no right to restrict outside earnings. The NBA can't tell LeBron how much Nike pays him. The NFL can't limit what State Farm and Subway pay Mahomes.

Ahh, I disagree. The top conferences are dictating the way this is going. Not the NCAA. This is not about what’s good for every college. This is about what is good for 30-40 colleges.

My point, imo the NCAA is a total joke and cannot properly manage or dictate rules for the fairness of the sport. So if people and conferences are not listening to the oversight of college athletics, then what are they even doing?
Not sure what you're disagreeing with. My comment didn't attempt to address what you did in yours. Clearly a small percentage of schools and conferences are driving everything... right into the ground. The NCAA is a joke because colleges don't want to follow their own rules.

Sure, all colleges drop sports...Then the following year the formally top 20 or so schools decide that hey we can go back to having sports and get 2 or 3 times the money we use to and pass half over to academics. And before you know it the rich get even richer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom