NIL Questions and answers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NIL Questions and answers

Oh, I definitely think that will happen. I believe there is actually a case in front of the courts right now arguing against the restriction of schools to negotiate NIL with players.
I'm not for schools negotiating NIL. They can certainly be classified as employees. That brings other legal concerns. If they, too, use NIL to skirt those concerns? Mehh.. If it results in some form of salary cap, AND adds parity? Ok then.

Last edited:
But again, they claim to be a bit of an outlier offering more than double of other schools, and that’s average, which can be skewed by larger payments to stars.

That would mean other schools average about 45k per player. Or $3.8M for scholly players. (Assuming that's what its based on)

That carries far more weight than any facilities race. Between that and consolidation? Not good.

What rules? The NCAA cannot make any rules for NIL that is administered/contracted outside the schools. This is no different than any other contractual relationship between two legal parties. Only state/federal laws apply, and unless a state or the feds say that this class of citizen is not allowed to partake in the free marketing of their name, image and likeness, nothing can be done by the NCAA. This is essentially what the Supreme Court correctly ruled, unanimously, I might add.

Not really. The Alston decision only ruled that NCAA restrictions on “education-related benefits” for college athletes violated antitrust law.

Well, isn't this timely to this discussion. A group of 32 female University of Oregon athletes are trying to tie the school's NIL collective to the school (even though it's a separate legal entity) in a Title IX case.

Well, isn't this timely to this discussion. A group of 32 female University of Oregon athletes are trying to tie the school's NIL collective to the school (even though it's a separate legal entity) in a Title IX case.

I'm no legal expert, but this case seems flimsy at best. Title IX has no application to private entities and how they spend funds, no?

What’s still so odd about all of this is all I could hear in the 90s was the NYY “bought” their WS wins and that it somehow wasn’t as valid. Fast forward two decades and it’s a free for all in college football, it’s just odd.

Hmm interesting, no Bama or Georgia, but SMU
I wonder if that’s driven by both coaches willing to use NIL “within reason” and some boosters from those schools (and others) still on the sidelines of NIL since they don’t get “credit” with NIL vs donation to school

Last edited:
IMG_0543.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom