NIL | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

No No No

All the money being thrown at the explosion of facilities and bloating of ‘staff personnel’ is not nearly as harmful as actually giving the kids $

All the schools with the top boosters will now be getting all the top recruits, with no 4-5 stars for the schools ranked <20

If there was ever an ok Boomer moment…
Once again, I struggle to see what the problem with giving kids money that they deserve to earn?

Let's be honest right now, there's no separation between the top 20 schools and the rest, it's the top 3 schools and the rest. Because they are the schools with the top boosters, and they've been paying that money under the table for YEARS. OSU, Clemson, Bama have a closed monopoly at the top. NIL opens that up.

A school like SU without a ton of boosters will benefit from local businesses around the area that need pitchmen with "clout" which they have. Tommy DeVito could make a t-shirt that literally just says "Jersey Boys" or a quote from Goodfellas with his likeness and sell thousands of them to make a few bucks. Hell, even Mike Jones (I'm dating myself) could've got some decent money when he was here if NIL was a thing.

College sports don't exist without the athletes, yet the schools rake in the dough while the athletes get a lounge with a couple PS5s and marginally better food than the rest of the college students. Pay the kids what they deserve and stop this charade of amateurism.

This whole process is going to be very interesting to observe.

Schools in major metropolitan areas or schools that are already established national brands are going to gain a serious advantage in this.

Yes, it's taxed. It's earned income. But for most of the players $500 is just one of the revenue streams they have each month. And even for the last guy on the roster if it's all he is getting, he still is getting roughly $250 a month after taxes. Where if he went to another school and even was 2nd string he would probably be getting nothing.
So they are employees of this guys company and have to fill out a W-4 form? Or he is giving money to the AD and they are employees of the school?

Once again, I struggle to see what the problem with giving kids money that they deserve to earn?

Let's be honest right now, there's no separation between the top 20 schools and the rest, it's the top 3 schools and the rest. Because they are the schools with the top boosters, and they've been paying that money under the table for YEARS. OSU, Clemson, Bama have a closed monopoly at the top. NIL opens that up.

A school like SU without a ton of boosters will benefit from local businesses around the area that need pitchmen with "clout" which they have. Tommy DeVito could make a t-shirt that literally just says "Jersey Boys" or a quote from Goodfellas with his likeness and sell thousands of them to make a few bucks. Hell, even Mike Jones (I'm dating myself) could've got some decent money when he was here if NIL was a thing.

College sports don't exist without the athletes, yet the schools rake in the dough while the athletes get a lounge with a couple PS5s and marginally better food than the rest of the college students. Pay the kids what they deserve and stop this charade of amateurism.
Did you see my reply. It was sarcastic. It obviously is better to give kids the money directly and will not make any of the top schools more ‘toppier’

Edit, I deleted my comment since you were not the only one who missed my sarcasm. Obviously it didn’t come across.

Schools in major metropolitan areas or schools that are already established national brands are going to gain a serious advantage in this.
Conversely, schools that are big fish in a little pond (SU/city of Syracuse) might present more options for players as we’re one of the only games in town

Conversely, schools that are big fish in a little pond (SU/city of Syracuse) might present more options for players as we’re one of the only games in town

There will be local advertisers at all schools that are interested in advertising locally. The national $$'s are going to drive the bus. And that isn't Syracuse on the football side anyway.

Absolutely. If I was a booster/local business/team? I'd try to organize NIL endorsements with a multiprong approach.

Get the 1-85 getting the most annual NIL payments. All other NIL $$ a bonus.

Positions of need. If I want the #1 QB in the country? It just so happens, that every year, the 'bama/Ymca QB camp pays $100K for the Bama QB. I mean, its a charity, so I'd obviously donate to charity. My goodness, Saban donated an hour of his time and $50k to that charity, as well? Thats swell. Either way, I'd try to let the likely $$ be known before the kid ever inks an NIL deal, of his own.

Organize online $$ support from fans. If there was a measly $5 additional fee for forum membership? Its for the good of the team. And hey, a VIP pass gives admission to the all access 3 player panel, where VIP fans can ask their own questions, directly to The official forum athletes.

They'll find any way possible to get $$ in hands. I'd guess a few dozen teams are left standing.
There is still the issue of roster size. Also, only 3-4 teams compete for the FB championship each year, so how does this change anything? The best BB recruits, by and large, go the the same few schools. Above all, kids want to play, so they will look at that as well as NIL opportunities.

So they are employees of this guys company and have to fill out a W-4 form? Or he is giving money to the AD and they are employees of the school?
I am not a tax accountant, and the employee rules are a bit fuzzy, (control and directions are a component) but they may just be a 1099 employee, so they have to pay the payroll tax (15.3%) plus income taxes.

I am not a tax accountant, and the employee rules are a bit fuzzy, (control and directions are a component) but they may just be a 1099 employee, so they have to pay the payroll tax (15.3%) plus income taxes.
Yeah they'd be 1099's.

There will be local advertisers at all schools that are interested in advertising locally. The national $$'s are going to drive the bus. And that isn't Syracuse on the football side anyway.

National is not going to be a real player because they can’t act local.

An emerging web site can. A regional Toyota dealer can. But Walmart can’t. Everything is hyperlocal or an entrepreneur with big aspirations to be the next Expedia.com.

National is not going to be a real player because they can’t act local.

An emerging web site can. A regional Toyota dealer can. But Walmart can’t. Everything is hyperlocal or an entrepreneur with big aspirations to be the next Expedia.com.
Nahh. Why wouldn't Nike drop a big deal? State farm insurance wouldn't have wanted Trevor Lawrence? (OK, hes too young, but prolly a lot cheaper. There will be national faces, and national deals.

Although, to your point. Those national companies could target regions, with regional players. Gatorade's, GNC etc...

And sure. Lots of local biz.

Nahh. Why wouldn't Nike drop a big deal? State farm insurance wouldn't have wanted Trevor Lawrence? (OK, hes too young, but prolly a lot cheaper. There will be national faces, and national deals.

Although, to your point. Those national companies could target regions, with regional players. Gatorade's, GNC etc...

And sure. Lots of local biz.

We are about to sponsor a few athletes post NIL green light. It's tough for Nike to go on a sponsor binge because it would drive costs through the roof, but easier for an upstart like a New Balance to grab a basketball player or two since they have zero recognition.

It's going to be obscene how easy NIL will be blended in with extra benefits for athletes. The NCAA has empowered something that will make it even less impotent to manage.

We are about to sponsor a few athletes post NIL green light. It's tough for Nike to go on a sponsor binge because it would drive costs through the roof, but easier for an upstart like a New Balance to grab a basketball player or two since they have zero recognition.

It's going to be obscene how easy NIL will be blended in with extra benefits for athletes. The NCAA has empowered something that will make it even less impotent to manage.
The NCAA didn’t empower it. They ignored it, fought it, and then at the last minute just opened the floodgates. Should have been looking to enable it with some smart enforcement or regulations. But then again, they are largely impotent by design.

NCAA brings in about 8.5B, of which schollies/room/board/living stipend make up for 7%. $600M. Professional contract(no title ix), would result in about $4.1 B to athletes.

$360,000 each football player
$500,000 each basketball player
$2.4 M for QBs
$1.2 M for WR
$1.2M -$800k each hoops starter.

While a smart NIL policy would have been nice? (Its the ncaa, smart doesn't happen) The 1st paragraph hasn't changed, and NIL wont put it ANY where near what they would get in a professional model.

What one considers obscene will be relative to ones personal view.

NCAA brings in about 8.5B, of which schollies/room/board/living stipend make up for 7%. $600M. Professional contract(no title ix), would result in about $4.1 B to athletes.

$360,000 each football player
$500,000 each basketball player
$2.4 M for QBs
$1.2 M for WR
$1.2M -$800k each hoops starter.

While a smart NIL policy would have been nice? (Its the ncaa, smart doesn't happen) The 1st paragraph hasn't changed, and NIL wont put it ANY where near what they would get in a professional model.

What one considers obscene will be relative to ones personal view.
This type of model makes the most sense to enabling any type of parity - effectively it's equitable revenue sharing and it doesn't matter what team you play for. This could actually be a better model than even what existed prior to NIL where you had factory schools working outside the lines compensating players to attend their schools. At least this subsidizes all schools and all players equitably and doesn't differentiate at a specific level.

I think it follows shortly - when the divide seperates the have/have nots, further. Lost TV revenue, tickets, merchandise, etc. They're going to want some of that $$ back. Only then will some schools be willing, if not forced to by legislation first.

A very modest version of that could work, but there will still be plenty of losers.

New Balance does $4.5 BILLION in revenue a year. How the hell do they zero recognition?

New Balance does $4.5 BILLION in revenue a year. How the hell do they zero recognition?
It’s a running shoe. And since rebranding Warrior to the base brand, now have some lacrosse street cred. They want to crack into basketball. Ask any basketball player about them. No one will consider them.

There’s no parity now in college football. It’s the most predictable sport ever. The NIL may if anything make it less boring and predictable.

These players needed to lawyer up before signing. YOKE owns their video game rights forever. I dunno if that means they own EA sports, Madden rights, etc, or if it just means it's a horrible deal if they make the NFL.. Either way, seems a 1 way deal. Why these kids need lawyers.

Screenshot_20210709-171321_Twitter.jpg

And here are more clauses found in 3 more companies contracts. Be pretty cool to get Michael Jordan, Peyton Manning, etc, for next to nothing, FOREVER, because they were 18. Ouch.

Screenshot_20210709-173149_Twitter.jpg

As I stated in an earlier email, a lawyer and author of the Florida NIL laws, was particulary worried about these type of contracts. That said, I assume Video Game Experiences is Yoke's system/property, so I would expect language like that.

As I stated in an earlier email, a lawyer and author of the Florida NIL laws, was particulary worried about these type of contracts. That said, I assume Video Game Experiences is Yoke's system/property, so I would expect language like that.
I believe the perpetuity is an issue, and unlike normal users, they are being paid to advertise the platform itself. According to a few lawyers, anyways. Plenty of trouble down the road.

Looks like many are putting in similar language- that might be appropriate for Joe Schmo- but not for any potentially higher profile person, or someone that may become one.

When I read how many Alabama and Clemson guys signed with Yoke? Ouch. I'm not a lawyer, but some think these are bad contracts that kids are jumping at. Plenty should be avoided, or changed. Further explained in comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom