NIL | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

$500 a month from just one source. If two or 3 other places in South Florida do something similar with the entire roster it will make it an attractive place for recruits to go.

Plus simple math $500 Guaranteed > $0
This NIL is taxed, right? Is is considered a bonus or salary? And can parents still claim their kids as dependents?

Last edited:
What's the difference between Oregon having a $100m+ football facility donated by Phil Knight to land better recruits and giving a few kids a $1m endorsement to go to Oregon?

Nothing at all, except the kid actually benefits from his skills and talents.

People around the world that see 16 year old kids playing professional top division sports for actual money must look at the college/draft system over here and be so damn confused.
As simply put as I can…..Because you have a booster with the resources to offer a $1M+ endorsement to any of the best athletes that choose his school.

The point is this….I have no issue with the student getting paid what he is worth. However, if you don’t have a system to regulate this so that there is some level of fairness between schools for (my selfish sake of) competition, than why the hell is college football still a league of 100+ programs? It should just shrink to a league of 6-8 factory schools.

Syracuse isn’t even in the same stratosphere of top 25 programs let alone factory schools so I suppose we have nothing to worry about but if you factor in this advantage that factory schools with boosters have, they might as well be pro teams when you compare them to Syracuse.

If I misunderstand your post sorry, but why would kids give up 20% of NIL?
They wouldn't. College fee to the advertisers, including use of Jersey, Film, etc. Or something like that. Just riffing.

This NIL is taxed, right? Is is considered a bonus or salary? And can parents still claim their kids as dependents?

NIL is not an earnings type, it's just an acronym. It's income like any other income.

What's the difference between Oregon having a $100m+ football facility donated by Phil Knight to land better recruits and giving a few kids a $1m endorsement to go to Oregon?

People around the world that see 16 year old kids playing professional top division sports for actual money must look at the college/draft system over here and be so damn confused.
This is exactly right. Everything here.

Interesting though - wouldn’t a booster want to pay kids vs donating a facility? Guess if they have enough money they can do both. And still overpay the coaches. Would rather just pay the kids vs wasting it on stupid things like overpriced locker rooms.
Absolutely. If I was a booster/local business/team? I'd try to organize NIL endorsements with a multiprong approach.

Get the 1-85 getting the most annual NIL payments. All other NIL $$ a bonus.

Positions of need. If I want the #1 QB in the country? It just so happens, that every year, the 'bama/Ymca QB camp pays $100K for the Bama QB. I mean, its a charity, so I'd obviously donate to charity. My goodness, Saban donated an hour of his time and $50k to that charity, as well? Thats swell. Either way, I'd try to let the likely $$ be known before the kid ever inks an NIL deal, of his own.

Organize online $$ support from fans. If there was a measly $5 additional fee for forum membership? Its for the good of the team. And hey, a VIP pass gives admission to the all access 3 player panel, where VIP fans can ask their own questions, directly to The official forum athletes.

They'll find any way possible to get $$ in hands. I'd guess a few dozen teams are left standing.

Last edited:
I’m going to be very interested in how NIL affects team dynamics when you have a few guys getting something far more than others. What does it do to team dynamics? Are guys jealous? Will there be dissention when a guy rolls in a new Escalade? Is playing time no longer the #1 issue for transfer, will it be $$?

For the record I am in favor of kids profiting off themselves but the NCAA cannot police this and at what point does this further separate that haves and the have nots.
With this new rule the separation has already happened, some just don't know it yet. And the ramifications and results of this separation won't be seen for a year or two.

Yes, it's taxed. It's earned income. But for most of the players $500 is just one of the revenue streams they have each month. And even for the last guy on the roster if it's all he is getting, he still is getting roughly $250 a month after taxes. Where if he went to another school and even was 2nd string he would probably be getting nothing.

Yes, it's taxed. It's earned income. But for most of the players $500 is just one of the revenue streams they have each month. And even for the last guy on the roster if it's all he is getting, he still is getting roughly $250 a month after taxes. Where if he went to another school and even was 2nd string he would probably be getting nothing.

On what planet is somebody earning $500/month “getting roughly $250 after taxes”???

50% tax rate? At the $6,000 annual income bracket?
Even Biden wouldn’t allow that.

IF that’s their only earnings - guess what?
They’re keeping nearly all of that $500.

On what planet is somebody earning $500/month “getting roughly $250 after taxes”???

50% tax rate? At the $6,000 annual income bracket?
Even Biden wouldn’t allow that.

IF that’s their only earnings - guess what?
They’re keeping nearly all of that $500.
Whatever, the larger point is if your the last guy on the roster on a team and still taking home $500 a month its $500 more than if he played at any other school.

Here's a sample of what some athletes social media brand will be worth. Its nice to see the ladies strongly represented. Looks like the UCLA women's gymnastic team is a social media juggernaut, with potential yearly earnings of over $1.25 million.

I thought it would only be men's football and hoops.
NIL-Forbes-List-copy-1024x2048.png

It's $500/month. Not a "huge" deal. A good deal since it involves all players, but not close to being "huge".
This was my point. We have a small fan base and we are in a depressed economic area. What we have is a huge National brand and the ACCN. JW has his work cut out for him. Thank God he is our AD

With this new rule the separation has already happened, some just don't know it yet. And the ramifications and results of this separation won't be seen for a year or two.
This isn't right. The separation is how it's always been. Making it legal makes it more wide-spread, more evenly distributed IMO.

All the top schools already were? It’s already harming the game! If the underground bagmen game was fair you’d have seen more parity. At least this way we know the score, it’s not so secret

The reason they could throw money at facilities and to coaches to not coach is because they didn’t have to pay players.
Yea that’s what I said?

new boss same as the old boss

maybe my sarcasm font is broke

So here's the bottom line for me. How does this change affect Syracuse's ability to be successful? If it makes it harder for us, I don't like it. Period. Full stop. And if it makes it well nigh impossible to achieve a top-10 level of success again, ever, then I'm done with the sport.

There are too many ways the situation can evolve for me to know exactly what will happen, so I will stick around, for now. But here's a question - are we going to see "5-star" HS players walk on henceforth, and just pay the tuition from their endorsement money, in effect raising the number of scholarships that the team can have?

I assume there is a difference in who actually makes "the deal." Phil Knight donating $1 mil to Oregon is a tax avoidance strategy (probably not correct term, but you get the point). Nike donating $1 mil to a player is a "business decision."

By the way, I am setting up a non-profit that is geared towards ensuring that these college athletes have their financial needs fulfilled. My non-profit will be soliciting donations to ensure that all of these student-athletes financial needs are met, which will occur through a grant process. In exchange, the student-athletes merely need to promote my non-profit entity. Of course, I intend to be the CEO of this non-profit as I will have to administer the grants and keep track of the finances. I only intend to take a modest, six figure salary.

Venmo @ shrmdougluvr-for-the-children-athletes.

So here's the bottom line for me. How does this change affect Syracuse's ability to be successful? If it makes it harder for us, I don't like it. Period. Full stop. And if it makes it well nigh impossible to achieve a top-10 level of success again, ever, then I'm done with the sport.

There are too many ways the situation can evolve for me to know exactly what will happen, so I will stick around, for now. But here's a question - are we going to see "5-star" HS players walk on henceforth, and just pay the tuition from their endorsement money, in effect raising the number of scholarships that the team can have?
That kind of hypothetical is pretty easily regulated away, if that's what you're most afraid of.

I assume there is a difference in who actually makes "the deal." Phil Knight donating $1 mil to Oregon is a tax avoidance strategy (probably not correct term, but you get the point). Nike donating $1 mil to a player is a "business decision."

By the way, I am setting up a non-profit that is geared towards ensuring that these college athletes have their financial needs fulfilled. My non-profit will be soliciting donations to ensure that all of these student-athletes financial needs are met, which will occur through a grant process. In exchange, the student-athletes merely need to promote my non-profit entity. Of course, I intend to be the CEO of this non-profit as I will have to administer the grants and keep track of the finances. I only intend to take a modest, six figure salary.

Venmo @ shrmdougluvr-for-the-children-athletes.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

That kind of hypothetical is pretty easily regulated away, if that's what you're most afraid of.
Spitballing, trying to figure out the ways to game this. I'm also intrigued by what regulations will be enacted - or if it's even regulate-able in theory, given the state of the law. I'd personally like to see people have to wait until year 2 at a school to be able to cash in on this stream, until they have completed an undergraduate degree, at which point they can cash in wherever they go.

Spitballing, trying to figure out the ways to game this. I'm also intrigued by what regulations will be enacted - or if it's even regulate-able in theory, given the state of the law. I'd personally like to see people have to wait until year 2 at a school to be able to cash in on this stream, until they have completed an undergraduate degree, at which point they can cash in wherever they go.
I suspect there will be a tumultuous period where this stuff is sorted out. There will be gaming, and then likely new rules implemented to tighten those things up. The "walk-on" angle seems like something that could be solved by ending the practice of walk-ons (which would probably be good for SU).

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Well, you're in luck texascpa . It just so happens that I am in the process of developing such a newsletter for For the Children/Athletes. I'd be happy to mail you the inaugural addition. Just venmo @ shrmdougluvr-for-the-children-athletes $9.95. Of course, your contribution will may be tax deductible, and a portion of the proceeds will be redirected in the form of grants to needy student-athletes.

Also, For the Children/Athletes could utilize the services of a competent CPA, pro bono of course. We are also seeking high net wealth individuals to serve on the Board.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom