NIL | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

As I stated in an earlier email, a lawyer and author of the Florida NIL laws, was particulary worried about these type of contracts. That said, I assume Video Game Experiences is Yoke's system/property, so I would expect language like that.
That IG account is from a Florida Lawyer. Dunno if its the guy you are referencing.

Darren Heitner was his name.
That lawyer (on twitter) was referencing the other lawyers IG account i posted...lol

Either way, now the kids are subject to contract law that they have NO clue on. For $20 now? They could literally be signing away hundreds of thousands, later. Unintended consequences.

The next step in this is you will have local businesses around some of these schools just giving high school recruits a 3 or 4 year contract worth thousands a year if they sign on to play at the school.

This will quickly go from players being able to make a few bucks with endorsements to high school kids now being on free agency tours meeting not only with the schools but with local businesses who want to lock them up on solid contracts of guaranteed money should they commit to said school
Why don’t we organize an “endorsement fair” as part of our recruiting official visits. Free Dave & Buster’s all four years + an endorsement deal. Go get a taste. Will NIL deals leave opportunities for car leases? These are “no cost” endorsements, like the free education SU offers (sarcasm font).

Interesting though - wouldn’t a booster want to pay kids vs donating a facility? Guess if they have enough money they can do both. And still overpay the coaches. Would rather just pay the kids vs wasting it on stupid things like overpriced locker rooms.
Overpriced locker rooms have the donor’s name on them until someone else steps it up to put their name on it. That lasts past the two years student athletes will hang around. That said, I guess a benefit could be that kids will stick in school longer and get degrees because they won’t feel the draw to make the money so acutely.

Positions of need. If I want the #1 QB in the country? It just so happens, that every year, the 'bama/Ymca QB camp pays $100K for the Bama QB. I mean, its a charity, so I'd obviously donate to charity. My goodness, Saban donated an hour of his time and $50k to that charity, as well? Thats swell. Either way, I'd try to let the likely $$ be known before the kid ever inks an NIL deal, of his own.

Positions of need. If I want the #1 QB in the country? It just so happens, that every year, the 'bama/Ymca QB camp pays $100K for the Bama QB. I mean, its a charity, so I'd obviously donate to charity. My goodness, Saban donated an hour of his time and $50k to that charity, as well? Thats swell. Either way, I'd try to let the likely $$ be known before the kid ever inks an NIL deal, of his own.

You bring up a very interesting wrinkle here regarding the school directly or indirectly paying the athletes. If Saban gives to a charity that then funds an NIL like this, or puts in his contract that his employer donate to his charity of choice, or that his independent football camp employs as brand ambassadors his players, or pays them appearance fees…

NJCUSE97
" You bring up a very interesting wrinkle here regarding the Youschool directly or indirectly paying the athletes. If Saban gives to a charity that then funds an NIL like this, or puts in his contract that his employer donate to his charity of choice, or that his independent football camp employs as brand ambassadors his players, or pays them appearance fees…"

Why i think the NCAA should have had a more comprehensive NIL policy. Perhaps they will. A coach should have every right for a player to be a brand ambassador for his non university affiliated camp... Kids gonna wanna get paid, though. Stuff like that should definitely have some caps, if that's even legal.

If I were a booster, I would certainly try to funnel $$ to players through some form of charitable contribution.(taxes). And yes, also make sure the charity received a healthy donation. It looks pretty darn good if I gave to the Boys and Girls club. Athletes show up regularly, and help some kids- of which more will attend.. From a booster, athlete, and community perspective? That's a win win. If the charity received at least 51% of the donation? I'd applaud it.

Last edited:
Why don’t we organize an “endorsement fair” as part of our recruiting official visits. Free Dave & Buster’s all four years + an endorsement deal. Go get a taste. Will NIL deals leave opportunities for car leases? These are “no cost” endorsements, like the free education SU offers (sarcasm font).
Nothing wrong with a kid earning a car lease from a local dealership at all.

Nothing wrong with a kid earning a car lease from a local dealership at all.
Fully admit to being conflicted about the whole thing. My main point apart from trying to improve the perspective of our recruiting, (weren’t we called unsophisticated by opposing coaches?) is that these are still fairly substantial financial commitments from local businesses, not free, and it will therefore be limited, and I can’t imagine it won’t breed jealousy and animosity.

NJCUSE97
" You bring up a very interesting wrinkle here regarding the Youschool directly or indirectly paying the athletes. If Saban gives to a charity that then funds an NIL like this, or puts in his contract that his employer donate to his charity of choice, or that his independent football camp employs as brand ambassadors his players, or pays them appearance fees…"

Why i think the NCAA should have had a more comprehensive NIL policy. Perhaps they will. A coach should have every right for a player to be a brand ambassador for his non university affiliated camp... Kids gonna wanna get paid, though. Stuff like that should definitely have some caps, if that's even legal.

If I were a booster, I would certainly try to funnel $$ to players through some form of charitable contribution.(taxes). And yes, also make sure the charity received a healthy donation. It looks pretty darn good if I gave to the Boys and Girls club. Athletes show up regularly, and help some kids- of which more will attend.. From a booster, athlete, and community perspective? That's a win win. If the charity received at least 51% of the donation? I'd applaud it.
Thanks for seeing through my tech challenges

So, I was listening to Dan Dakitch on SiriusXM ESPNU on the way home from work yesterday and he was talking with a guest about NIL, particularly how there hasn't been an explosion of money flowing into players hands. So, he relayed a quick story about our own Eric Coley.

So, apparently Coley and Dakitch's son are good friends and Coley goes over their house frequently (I didn't realize Dakitch lives in Syracuse). Recently, he says to Coley - hey, tell me about that NIL. What are you pulling in? Coley basically responds with a laugh and says "Nah, no body wants me." Now, granted, Coley is not a recognizable name outside of Syracuse and was injured last year so couldn't showcase himself. But, I'm guessing the same response could be had by 99% of our players. Businesses may be wanting to see how things work out first, but they sure aren't jumping in with wads of cash to give to players. I'm starting to think most of us blew this thing out of proportion. I guess time will tell.

Oh, he also praised Coley up and down for his character and abilities. Even gave him an endorsement on national radio. lol

So, I was listening to Dan Dakitch on SiriusXM ESPNU on the way home from work yesterday and he was talking with a guest about NIL, particularly how there hasn't been an explosion of money flowing into players hands. So, he relayed a quick story about our own Eric Coley.

So, apparently Coley and Dakitch's son are good friends and Coley goes over their house frequently (I didn't realize Dakitch lives in Syracuse). Recently, he says to Coley - hey, tell me about that NIL. What are you pulling in? Coley basically responds with a laugh and says "Nah, no body wants me." Now, granted, Coley is not a recognizable name outside of Syracuse and was injured last year so couldn't showcase himself. But, I'm guessing the same response could be had by 99% of our players. Businesses may be wanting to see how things work out first, but they sure aren't jumping in with wads of cash to give to players. I'm starting to think most of us blew this thing out of proportion. I guess time will tell.

Oh, he also praised Coley up and down for his character and abilities. Even gave him an endorsement on national radio. lol
I think over time it will be split between blanket deals for all teams or incoming recruits (EA video game licensing, weird recruiting gimmicks by rich folk), free meals, easier access to car dealership stuff (local stuff that was kind of already happening) and individual standouts who have built their reputation on the field.

Basketball here will be easier (can see faces, smaller team makes your money go farther, better National rep).

So, apparently Coley and Dakitch's son are good friends and Coley goes over their house frequently (I didn't realize Dakitch lives in Syracuse).
Dakich's wife is the former SU softball coach

Dakich's wife is the former SU softball coach

I thought that was the case, but prior to his story he was talking about a driverless car in Chicago he saw, so I was thinking he lived there. lol

so my question on the jersey is who holds the rights on mich jerseys anyway? mich sells rights to the retailors so are they just lowering their profits to give kids a $10 cut? are they selling named jerseys for more?

so my question on the jersey is who holds the rights on mich jerseys anyway? mich sells rights to the retailors so are they just lowering their profits to give kids a $10 cut? are they selling named jerseys for more?
For the NFL, players get 2/3. The other 1/3 to the players union, and player pool. I presume that's "player share", meaning the team takes a share(licensing), but a quick search didn't show those percentages. In 2018, Tom Brady's earnings were $2.3M on such things.

Collectively, players would be wise to use that as a model. Fans being able to buy their favorite licensed jersey would be a plus for everyone, including the school.

If its in place before the season? I imagine a player like Elmore - not your typical NIL type guy, would earn a bunch of support. Pretty sure I've seen licensed jerseys with Rhino or Elmo on them. Acceptable, because its not his name. I'd much prefer he get the $10, because he earned it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom