NIL | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

It's $500/month. Not a "huge" deal. A good deal since it involves all players, but not close to being "huge".
Its big, in that all players are involved, and might set some precedence in how to make the team more appealing to all recruits.

For kids that need to send part of their stipend home for food? Thats probably a big deal for them.

Its big, in that all players are involved, and might set some precedence in how to make the team more appealing to all recruits.

For kids that need to send part of their stipend home for food? Thats probably a big deal for them.
Exactly. You get it.

I think some fans are way behind the curve on this entire topic. I think it's tough for adults in their current mindset to sometimes get in the mindset of a teenager or kid in their early 20's. And to think like a 19 or 20-year-old who has nothing. Or grew up with nothing and who will now get $500 a month for literally just being on the team. That's a game-changer.

Sure if you are a middle-aged man with a 401K, a big paycheck bi-weekly, and close to retirement $500 a month is nothing TO YOU. As a 19 or 20-year-old with nothing who came from nothing, who is grateful for any decent meal he can get...your gonna give them that money each month just for playing football there instead of somewhere else, heck they will pull a hamstring running to sign that piece of paper.

And if I am a college football program seeing this, the way of thinking must be adjusted. Start investing time on recruiting businesses that can set up a similar structure to this being done with the Hurricanes. If you can sign on a couple of businesses to bankroll a roster and throw in a few hundred bucks for each player on the team, then the recruits will come to you. FOLLOW THE MONEY!

You guys are really skewing what I said, but, hey, that's ok.

You guys are really skewing what I said, but, hey, that's ok.
Not my intent. You pointed out how it was a good deal. As a road map for other NIL deals? Get a bunch of those, and it floats the whole team. Linemen, kickers, and those simply hedging their bets, may look more favorably on those programs.

I guess we're going 1 step further than your IF it happens, and implying, not only WHEN, but expecting numerous such deals.

And Hey. XO taco is giving free tacos and Merch to any cuse athlete. Who doesn't love a good taco? Lol

It’s not the 6k a year that is a big deal it’s that every player on the team is getting the 6k.

Not my intent. You pointed out how it was a good deal. As a road map for other NIL deals? Get a bunch of those, and it floats the whole team. Linemen, kickers, and those simply hedging their bets, may look more favorably on those programs.

I guess we're going 1 step further than your IF it happens, and implying, not only WHEN, but expecting numerous such deals.

And Hey. XO taco is giving free tacos and Merch to any cuse athlete. Who doesn't love a good taco? Lol

Free tacos? Now that is a huge deal! lol

Can someone explain something to me? When Phil Knight starts offering kids $1M Nike endorsements each if they go to Oregon, would he get away with it? (I know it wouldn’t be as directly as I describe but easily could be indirectly.)

For the record I am in favor of kids profiting off themselves but the NCAA cannot police this and at what point does this further separate that haves and the have nots.

Can someone explain something to me? When Phil Knight starts offering kids $1M Nike endorsements each if they go to Oregon, would he get away with it? (I know it wouldn’t be as directly as I describe but easily could be indirectly.)

For the record I am in favor of kids profiting off themselves but the NCAA cannot police this and at what point does this further separate that haves and the have nots.
The difference between professional and college sports could end up being that pro sports has a salary cap

Very soon. There will be less interest in the have nots, and it will likely affect TV $$ attendance, etc.

They could split off into a super conference of 30, or so. Or they could try to float the other 30 in the P5. 20% fee for NIL deals, distributed to have not teams? Or God forbid, they add an NIL fee to all broadcasts, and distrubute that to an NIL pool, to balance the have nots. Beats me.

The difference between professional and college sports could end up being that pro sports has a salary cap

So, one of the things that has come out of this whole issue is that the NCAA, without a collective bargaining agreement, cannot limit the earnings of the athletes. AND, if they put together a collective bargaining agreement with student athletes, then they will become employees. Interesting quandary.

Dan Lambert, the owner of American Top Team and a longtime Miami football fan, has offered each scholarship player (90 total) on the Miami football team a monthly payment of $500 this year to advertise his gyms on social media. American Top Team is the home training facility for more than two dozen professional fighters, including Jorge Masvidal and Amanda Nunes.

Lambert's offer to the Hurricanes -- which could add up to as much as $540,000 this year -- is the largest reported sum for a college sports endorsement deal since new state laws and NCAA rules opened the doors for players to make money last week.

What's the difference between Oregon having a $100m+ football facility donated by Phil Knight to land better recruits and giving a few kids a $1m endorsement to go to Oregon?

Nothing at all, except the kid actually benefits from his skills and talents.

People around the world that see 16 year old kids playing professional top division sports for actual money must look at the college/draft system over here and be so damn confused.

No No No

All the money being thrown at the explosion of facilities and bloating of ‘staff personnel’ is not nearly as harmful as actually giving the kids $

All the schools with the top boosters will now be getting all the top recruits, with no 4-5 stars for the schools ranked <20

If there was ever an ok Boomer moment…
All the top schools already were? It’s already harming the game! If the underground bagmen game was fair you’d have seen more parity. At least this way we know the score, it’s not so secret

The reason they could throw money at facilities and to coaches to not coach is because they didn’t have to pay players.

Interesting though - wouldn’t a booster want to pay kids vs donating a facility? Guess if they have enough money they can do both. And still overpay the coaches. Would rather just pay the kids vs wasting it on stupid things like overpriced locker rooms.

Pros don’t have a NIL cap. Free agents often consider outside marketing dollars when deciding where to sign.

Very soon. There will be less interest in the have nots, and it will likely affect TV $$ attendance, etc.

They could split off into a super conference of 30, or so. Or they could try to float the other 30 in the P5. 20% fee for NIL deals, distributed to have not teams? Or God forbid, they add an NIL fee to all broadcasts, and distrubute that to an NIL pool, to balance the have nots. Beats me.
If I misunderstand your post sorry, but why would kids give up 20% of NIL?

To me, if it’s a conditional contract (only if at Oregon) then there might be an issue. That not NIL, that’s payment to go to a certain school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom