NLRB Dartmouth ruling | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NLRB Dartmouth ruling

I mean...we're here?

We have no chance to win and haven't for 20 years.

Hell, Florida State didn't even have a chance to win this year.
we have a chance, we just cant win enough. We wont be in the big boy league which means we wont be getting TV money. If we were DIV III how many would be on this board talking about SU sports?

Dartmouth doesn't get hardly any TV money just a small piece of BBALL money, they have almost no fans in most sports at games, what do those kids expect to get by unionizing against an IVY league school?

which means they wont fund sports then. if the goal is to use sports money to fund sports money and buy sports toys then why bother with sports at all.

If one sport goes union then they all go union most likely and then they have no chance to fund it.
They will certainly have to budget differently. Some will probably decide it is not sustainable. I am sure some plantations shut down after they could no longer count on free labor too.

Non B18/SEC schools that have won a BBall Title or made a Final Four since the tourney expanded to 64. There will still be a ton of high quality programs plus mid major Cinderellas that will make people interested in NCAA Basketball despite the existence of a Pro league. That is why I think they will need to go to 60-75 schools if they want to capture the whole market.

Title winners (11 programs)
Nova, Louisville, Kansas, UNLV, Duke, UNC, Arizona, UConn, Syracuse, UVA, Baylor

Who from that would go pro? UNC for sure. Likely Kansas. Maybe Zona.

Final Four (24 schools)
Georgetown, Memphis, St Johns, Providence, Seton Hall, GA Tech, Cincinnati, Oklahoma State, UMass, Utah, Stanford, Marquette, George Mason, Butler, West Virginia, VCU, Wichita State, Gonzaga, Loyola, Texas Tech, Houston, San Diego State, Miami, Florida Atlantic

For the pros, probably Miami and maybe Utah.

So we are likely looking at 30 left behind programs.

Plus other ACC/B12/Big East schools that have made a Final Four in the distant past like K State, Cal, NC State, Colorado, DePaul, FSU, Iowa State, Notre Dame, Pitt, SMU, Wake.

Adding in NIT Champs since the 64 team NCAAT era we have additional schools: North Texas, Xavier, TCU, George Washington, Dayton, Tulsa, VA Tech, Southern Miss. ACC/B12/Big East further back NIT champs we have BYU.

Plus other programs like Temple and Oregon State who are Top 50 all time in Ws.

So we are looking at about 45-50 quality historic programs that get left behind. That is plenty to have significant interest and $ will follow.

They will certainly have to budget differently. Some will probably decide it is not sustainable. I am sure some plantations shut down after they could no longer count on free labor too.
but it isn't free, there is a huge cost to the school. If you pay them the cost doesn't go away in the budget.

Special dorms and food and travel and clothes and medical care and the like is not free

but it isn't free, there is a huge cost to the school. If you pay them the cost doesn't go away in the budget.

Special dorms and food and travel and clothes and medical care and the like is not free

If they aren't students, won't you charge them rent?

The biggest cost is currently going to HCs, so they would most likely take the biggest hit. IMO all HCs are way overpaid. I am fine with them making half as much and that money going to the kids.

If they aren't students, won't you charge them rent?

The biggest cost is currently going to HCs, so they would most likely take the biggest hit. IMO all HCs are way overpaid. I am fine with them making half as much and that money going to the kids.
AAH. so you want to charge them 50K to live in the dorm and pay them 25K a yr to play

Lets make it simple we pay the fball kids 100K. Then they pay the taxes and the 75K to go to school and pay for health care and food like all the other kids

100kx 100 10 mill and the kid now takes out a loan to cover the difference

the money for 2-3 coaches is crazy but the money for most of the coaches is not.

Yes, all employers have expenses.

we have a chance, we just cant win enough. We wont be in the big boy league which means we wont be getting TV money. If we were DIV III how many would be on this board talking about SU sports?

Dartmouth doesn't get hardly any TV money just a small piece of BBALL money, they have almost no fans in most sports at games, what do those kids expect to get by unionizing against an IVY league school?
My guess is they'd expect to get a small piece of the BBALL money. Since they are playing the games.

AAH. so you want to charge them 50K to live in the dorm and pay them 25K a yr to play

Lets make it simple we pay the fball kids 100K. Then they pay the taxes and the 75K to go to school and pay for health care and food like all the other kids

the money for 2-3 coaches is crazy but the money for most of the coaches is not.
Your school is welcome to do that.

Mine won't.

Let's see who gets better players.

My guess is they'd expect to get a small piece of the BBALL money. Since they are playing the games.
the money for the games they have never played in but want a cut of the pie..

Shock

Oh My God Reaction GIF

There isn't much BBall money though. As to the NCAAT, how much does Dartmouth typically get, $50k a year? And what if as a result of these unions, the Ivy League pulled out of the NCAAT like they do in FB?

Are we talking little schools or big schools here?

For a pro league a lot of these kids will not go to school, so they won't be charged 75k to go to school. As for living quarters they will be there about 9 months a year. In what world would two players pay a combined $10k a month in rent in these small college towns? They can probably find a nicer apartment in town for $500 a month each vs paying $50k a year to be in a dorm, if that is what the schools will charge.

And if you give them free housing they will need to pay taxes on that. Which screws the players.

The Ivys are close to being club sports already. They don't give scholarships and they don't make any real money. Yet that is where unionization is starting?
And Dartmouth to boot.

There isn't much BBall money though. As to the NCAAT, how much does Dartmouth typically get, $50k a year? And what if as a result of these unions, the Ivy League pulled out of the NCAAT like they do in FB?
They are more than welcome to if it doesn’t make sense for Dartmouth to field a team.

Are we talking little schools or big schools here?

For a pro league a lot of these kids will not go to school, so they won't be charged 75k to go to school. As for living quarters they will be there about 9 months a year. In what world would two players pay a combined $10k a month in rent in these small college towns? They can probably find a nicer apartment in town for $500 a month each vs paying $50k a year to be in a dorm, if that is what the schools will charge.

And if you give them free housing they will need to pay taxes on that. Which screws the players.
wait? what college town do you live in? $750-1000 a month is pretty normal off campus and thats not for a nice one.. I know kids paying more because they want to rent a whole house though.

They are more than welcome to if it doesn’t make sense for Dartmouth to field a team.

I wasn't suggesting that. My point was they make peanuts on their BBall media contract. They make peanuts on ticket sales. Their biggest revenue likely comes from the NCAAT and that too is peanuts. So the 14 kids on the team will split a bag peanuts.

In FB the Ivy League does not participate in the FCS playoffs. This could cause them to pull out of the BBall NCAAT and their EPSN+ deal. They are still fielding a BBall team but forgoing all revenues. Which leaves nothing for the kids to split.

I wasn't suggesting that. My point was they make peanuts on their BBall media contract. They make peanuts on ticket sales. Their biggest revenue likely comes from the NCAAT and that too is peanuts. So the 14 kids on the team will split a bag peanuts.

In FB the Ivy League does not participate in the FCS playoffs. This could cause them to pull out of the BBall NCAAT and their EPSN+ deal. They are still fielding a BBall team but forgoing all revenues. Which leaves nothing for the kids to split.
Then they spilt a bag of peanuts. I’m not sure how many times I can say it.

wait? what college town do you live in? $750-1000 a month is pretty normal off campus and thats not for a nice one.. I know kids paying more because they want to rent a whole house though.

How much is an SU off campus house rental, $2500/m for a 4-5 bedroom? That is $500-$625 per kid. That is far from $50k a year.

i said 50k.. because that is roughly the cost to live in the dorm and go to school and eat 50-75k or more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom