Not a well coached team | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Not a well coached team

We consistently look unprepared. And it is not just this year we have seen signs every year. How many times do we see OLmen not sure what to do on a play? Or a WR running the wrong route? Or a QB making a basic decision look hard?

If we were prepared for the 2 point conversion we don't use a TO. If we were prepared for the 4th down play we don't use a TO. If we were prepared for the 3rd down play we don't use a TO.

Is it any wonder these kids make mistake after mistake when they seem to always be unprepared? Yes that bone headed 3rd and 4th down are on Rex. But you have to think if we were a well coached team the odds of those plays happen would be a lot less.

This 100%, Babers still has diehard supporters on this board but this is impossible to deny or explain away. The continued sloppy and Undisciplined play speaks volumes at some point you have to acknowledge we have a problem.

You really think D1 coaches tell kids to freeze and run out of bounds. Dino is bad at a lot of things but I dont agree with that. That's not something being taught brother. What would be the reason to teach that?

That's not what you said. You said that you're sure the coaches are telling the kids to throw it out of bounds. I'm not so sure that's true, based on evidence from three different QB's.

It was definitely fun watching our WRs lollygag their way back to the LOS on 4th down. Glad no one pulled anything exerting themselves.
Team of individuals. No team mentality. Starts with the coach.

LOL the bar for year 6 is FOUR GAMES???? Come on. Bowl or bust next year. That would be his SECOND in 6 years which shouldn’t be a lot to ask for.

Are you watching any of these games? You think that these guys, minus a bunch of them, are going to a bowl next year? Even if we had the linemen healthy, they happened to be awful the year before, too. Are the WRs going to get that much better? We did sign a bunch of linemen. I hope we can hold most of the class together after what just happened this year.

Are you watching any of these games? You think that these guys, minus a bunch of them, are going to a bowl next year? Even if we had the linemen healthy, they happened to be awful the year before, too. Are the WRs going to get that much better? We did sign a bunch of linemen. I hope we can hold most of the class together after what just happened this year.
Confused.

I thought this was all cuz of covid? Thought this was a pass year because of covid?

That's not what you said. You said that you're sure the coaches are telling the kids to throw it out of bounds. I'm not so sure that's true, based on evidence from three different QB's.
You said it happens to every QB that plays. Which is not true. The 3 previous QB’s didn’t do that. Its such a basic thing. No coach tells a kid to run out of bounds and lose yards. You practice situations all the time. It’s up to the player to apply it in the games. Every player has a different mental process.

Last edited:
Confused.

I thought this was all cuz of covid? Thought this was a pass year because of covid?
You have been in trolling mode for awhile now. You will probably find like minded people over at Syracuse.com since it would appear everyone must agree with you or they are wrong. Its cool, you are a sky is falling, world is coming to an end kind of fan. Its ok. Every fanbase has some.

You have been in trolling mode for awhile now. You will probably find like minded people over at Syracuse.com since it would appear everyone must agree with you or they are wrong. Its cool, you are a sky is falling, world is coming to an end kind of fan. Its ok. Every fanbase has some.

Not trolling at all. It’s just hard to argue with a moving target

Confused.

Yes, sort of. But they still should have looked competent, and vaguely competitive, don't you think?
After all, the virus is in the whole country.

Do you think we met that standard this season - looking just competent, like we know how to play football?
Personally, I do not.

That's why I'm saying, "let's just win 4 games next year, for chrissakes.
It's like in soccer, "let's just avoid getting relegated to a lower league (they do that, they kick the bottom 3 teams in each league into a lower league, and promote the best ones into the better league).

Let's "avoid relegation". Let's get back to "competent" again.

Then we can talk about bowl games. I want to see a team that can run the ball for 100 yards minimum every game. I want to see a team that can gain yardage when it's 4th and short.

I'd be freaking thrilled if we could make a bowl game next year, but after 5 years of Dino-Ball, I think we have all seen better rosters than the one we look like we're going to have next year.

In case I didn't mention it. We manhandled them for a net 3 yards rushing, with 4 or 5 projected oline starters. Crushing them up the middle.

Throwing the ball away before the sideline is universally known and im sure the staff tells every QB to do that. QB’s learned that in Pop Warner. I’m mad at the ending but Rex had opportunities to make basic instinctive decisions on the field. Everyone knows you don’t get tackled in that situation and im sure the sidelines was yelling” it’s 4th down “ if not, then the whole team has no football sense.
Not to mention all the penalties, didn't we give them 5 or 6 first downs on penalties. Syracuse does everything right to give away games, granted the roster is depleted but the players on the field are unprepared and not well-coached

We consistently look unprepared. And it is not just this year we have seen signs every year. How many times do we see OLmen not sure what to do on a play? Or a WR running the wrong route? Or a QB making a basic decision look hard?

If we were prepared for the 2 point conversion we don't use a TO. If we were prepared for the 4th down play we don't use a TO. If we were prepared for the 3rd down play we don't use a TO.

Is it any wonder these kids make mistake after mistake when they seem to always be unprepared? Yes that bone headed 3rd and 4th down are on Rex. But you have to think if we were a well coached team the odds of those plays happen would be a lot less.
yes. the QB and receivers not being on the same page on routes is repeated 4 or 5 times per game. the play at the goal line where the receivers ran into each other coming off their routes was comical

You said it happens to every QB that plays. Which is not true. The 3 previous QB’s didn’t do that. Its such a basic thing. No coach tells a kid to run out of bounds and lose yards. You practice situations all the time. It’s up to the player to apply it in the games. Every player has a different mental process.

it’s quite clear from reading through this thread (and watching Money need to defend himself, which he shouldn’t) which people have never worked with young athletes before.

I am not, nor will I ever be a football coach. But I am a coach of HS athletes. Some of them very very good, and some of them not. Some of my best players have panicked in key moments when tensions were high, while some of my weakest who were filling in for injuries or other reasons showed remarkable poise under pressure.

sometimes it doesn’t matter how much you coach a situation into a kid. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how much you yell and scream from the sidelines, sometimes it doesn’t matter how many of their teammates say it before the play. Sometimes the pressure gets to a kid who’s never been there before and they screw the pooch in the moment.

it doesn’t make it excusable and doesn’t make it better. But it is reality.

the bigger issue is that the entire QB room isn’t ready. Rex was recruited over with Amie, who left. Then we missed on a class, panicked and added Summers as a project (who appears to be the most likely kid to be politely asked to transfer out after this season) and last year after bringing in Gilbert pivoted to two project kids in Morgan and Tex. We knew they were projects. But the staff NEEDED them because frankly they had to know the depth was a disaster and they needed to cross their fingers that nothing happened to Tommy, because if either of these kids needed to play it was gonna be ugly.

you might not like it because there are a few freshman out there who are playing, but MOST freshman QBs do NOT play P5 football at a high level in a normal year let alone this messy offseason. Add in that these were guys who should barely have gotten scout team reps this year based on their recruiting status and this is the state you get where a QB like Rex who should be a scout team QB himself, is the best QB option we have and he is forced onto the field into a situation I’d bet he hasn’t been in, during his entire life.

it’s not excusable how it ended yesterday. But some of you have lost rationality or clearly have never worked with kids (or people) in high pressure situations.

Here is the list of plays that happened in the final 45 seconds. Which one was the worst? Because there are a couple in the running.

1st & Goal from the 9 -- Run up the middle. (Total Rushing Yards for The Game = 3)
TIMEOUT N.C. State -- With Syracuse running around in a Chinese fire drill.
2nd & Goal from the 9 -- Roll right, and instead of throwing it away, tip toe the sideline to waste 2-3 more seconds than you need to to gain zero yards.
3rd & Goal from the 9 -- Run around for 15 seconds, then instead of throwing the ball away again, you take a sack.
4th & Goal from the 20 -- Spike the ball with 1 second left.

This does not even include the run out of bounds that lost 4 yards.

The media needs to hold Babers accountable. This is Year 5. Game 10 of the year. A redshirt senior at QB. And you look like you have zero clue in the final minute of a game.
I have no problem with the run call. The Wolfpack was using a dime package, so in principle, there should have been some room to run.
The TO was an early Christmas gift from Doeren. Our offense appeared to be completely disorganized/confused, and the clock was running. I would hope that Babers and/or Gilbert used the TO as an opportunity to try to settle the team down, call the next 2 plays, remind the players to hustle back to the LoS, and remind Rex that no matter what, DO NOT TAKE A SACK. I have no idea what was said, but the subsequent sequence of plays is completely inexplicable.

Last edited:
Rutgers looks and plays like a well run program. Syracuse looks like ameteur hour. If people who make the decisions can live with that, then there is no hope for a good while.

it’s quite clear from reading through this thread (and watching Money need to defend himself, which he shouldn’t) which people have never worked with young athletes before.

I am not, nor will I ever be a football coach. But I am a coach of HS athletes. Some of them very very good, and some of them not. Some of my best players have panicked in key moments when tensions were high, while some of my weakest who were filling in for injuries or other reasons showed remarkable poise under pressure.

sometimes it doesn’t matter how much you coach a situation into a kid. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how much you yell and scream from the sidelines, sometimes it doesn’t matter how many of their teammates say it before the play. Sometimes the pressure gets to a kid who’s never been there before and they screw the pooch in the moment.

it doesn’t make it excusable and doesn’t make it better. But it is reality.

the bigger issue is that the entire QB room isn’t ready. Rex was recruited over with Amie, who left. Then we missed on a class, panicked and added Summers as a project (who appears to be the most likely kid to be politely asked to transfer out after this season) and last year after bringing in Gilbert pivoted to two project kids in Morgan and Tex. We knew they were projects. But the staff NEEDED them because frankly they had to know the depth was a disaster and they needed to cross their fingers that nothing happened to Tommy, because if either of these kids needed to play it was gonna be ugly.

you might not like it because there are a few freshman out there who are playing, but MOST freshman QBs do NOT play P5 football at a high level in a normal year let alone this messy offseason. Add in that these were guys who should barely have gotten scout team reps this year based on their recruiting status and this is the state you get where a QB like Rex who should be a scout team QB himself, is the best QB option we have and he is forced onto the field into a situation I’d bet he hasn’t been in, during his entire life.

it’s not excusable how it ended yesterday. But some of you have lost rationality or clearly have never worked with kids (or people) in high pressure situations.
Good stuff. I don't look at it as defending myself. I dont expect anyone that don't coach or work with kids to understand. Im sure some people are tired of the meathead reactions in this forum so I try to give clarity to those people.

Good stuff. I don't look at it as defending myself. I dont expect anyone that don't coach or work with kids to understand. Im sure some people are tired of the meathead reactions in this forum so I try to give clarity to those people.
Or has played the game at a high level. Coaches need to take some of the blame here but this is mostly on Rex

Your experiences are your own. I reacted to your making it seem okay that our 5th year senior QB didn’t know it was 4th down. And I quote, “ Rex has made What decisions in every game. He did great most of the game but it was due at some point. It came at the worse time.”

That part is ridiculous.
Do you know what the word "What" represents? its respresents What the ****. So how is that defending Rex and saying its ok?

Great and accurate observations. Dino’s teams are unorganized and his recruiting is terrible. Why was Shafer only given 3 years when Dino gets double that.
This 100%, Babers still has diehard supporters on this board but this is impossible to deny or explain away. The continued sloppy and Undisciplined play speaks volumes at some point you have to acknowledge we have a problem.
Rutgers looks and plays like a well run program. Syracuse looks like ameteur hour. If people who make the decisions can live with that, then there is no hope for a good while.
it’s one reason why I continue to double down on military style, triple option football. Dino is an unorganized Coach who cannot recruit enough skilled offensive players. I would prefer Paul Johnson or Jeff Monken to this constant show. It’s been amateur hour on the sidelines every week this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom