Not a well coached team | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Not a well coached team

It would be easier to excuse Rex not throwing the ball away as a one time thing if Tommy wasn't also doing it. That's just terrible coaching.
So you think they tell the QB's to not throw it and take the loss? Did Dungey, Mahoney Welch do that as well? Honest questions. Not trying to dispute just want to know what others see.

Last edited:
This is just rude and unnecessary . You are attacking a great poster than many here look to for insights because of his experience. I suspect that you are venting your frustrations, but you are doing it in a bad way now

If saying it’s ridiculous to protect a 24+ year old who can’t count to 4 when under pressure is an ATTACK, then guilty. I’m sorry, but this is not pop warner football. These kids are here to perform and not brain fart.

So you think they tell the QB's to not throw it and take the loss? Did Dungey, Mahoney Welch and do that as well? Honest questions. Not trying to dispute just want to know what others see.
So I just finally watched the last two plays of the game. What I saw was a player with absolutely no situation awareness. To me this is more on the player than the coaching. 1st on third down he ran around doing loops and chasing his tail for 10 seconds before taking a sack. On 4th down he had a brain fart they would have blown out Kevlar underpants. While the coaching has been questionable all year, this is on Rex. Every program runs and practices the 2 minute drill, goal line every day. I couldn’t tell you how often it’s emphasized to not take a sack and throw the ball away. This is simply a player who stuff the bed. You can see it in his face, he had no idea it was 4th down.

So you think they tell the QB's to not throw it and take the loss? Did Dungey, Mahoney Welch and do that as well? Honest questions. Not trying to dispute just want to know what others see.
I don't have a dog in this particular debate, but I am wondering about how much time is spent in practice going over situational awareness and concepts, going over rules on grounding/throwing the ball away, how to stop the clock (or keep it running), and running offense against the clock. There was a TO after the 1st down run. As you know, after getting the play called every staff at every level is going to hammer situational awareness during most of the TO.

It was mind numbing to watch how it played out. For the sake of the program, we better hope that was all on Rex.

The opposite. They don't drill into them that instead of stepping out of bounds and taking a loss, just throw it out of bounds. Bad enough that Tommy was doing it. The fact that Rex is now doing it too says to me that the coaches are ignoring it.

I thought running the clock down from about 2:08 to 1:40 to call timeout and then run a QB sneak the worst clock management I’ve ever seen from this staff, and the only time I’ve ever complained about their clock management. But sometimes they need to call timeout because our players have no field IQ. (see Nykiem fair catching the safety kick).

But the last two plays were squarely on the player. That was as bad as it gets.

It was definitely fun watching our WRs lollygag their way back to the LOS on 4th down. Glad no one pulled anything exerting themselves.

No, watching our receivers standing still in the end zone before the sack was pretty bad too

When it comes to passing I think Rex is smart enough to know where to throw the ball and diagnose the defensive coverage, he just clearly doesn't have the arm strength/accuracy to make the plays consistently.

But when it comes to scrambling to keep plays alive, he just seems to lose awareness of what to do and when to just kill a play and fight for another down.

So I just finally watched the last two plays of the game. What I saw was a player with absolutely no situation awareness. To me this is more on the player than the coaching. 1st on third down he ran around doing loops and chasing his tail for 10 seconds before taking a sack. On 4th down he had a brain fart they would have blown out Kevlar underpants. While the coaching has been questionable all year, this is on Rex. Every program runs and practices the 2 minute drill, goal line every day. I couldn’t tell you how often it’s emphasized to not take a sack and throw the ball away. This is simply a player who stuff the bed. You can see it in his face, he had no idea it was 4th down.
Absolutely. Coaching has been an issue all year and 4 of the last 5 years but that was on Rex in that situation. People want to tie all their emotions on those two plays because of their frustration with Dino. Not denying he has poor management and poor development but I also judge the situation. He had a 1-8 team in position to beat a team with 7 ACC wins. I saw a staff trying to taper plays that allowed an extremely limited QB to have some success. I saw a defensive staff make great calls while the defenders played their ass off. This team could have quit after the Liberty game. That's what young players do but they didn't quit. The game plan worked most of the game but the last 4 plays were ugly. Its a totally different type of pressure when executing plays in that situation. You can stay poised or you can panic. Feel sorry for the kid.

The opposite. They don't drill into them that instead of stepping out of bounds and taking a loss, just throw it out of bounds. Bad enough that Tommy was doing it. The fact that Rex is now doing it too says to me that the coaches are ignoring it.
Ok gotcha

no thanks on beardy McRapey

Should atleast be able to convince good recruits yo come here based on fact he can say he worked with Patriots Dynasty and he was an NFL head coch... rn this team needs to recuit better playera

And people think Dino can lead them to 6 wins next year and "turn it around". They are so far away from 6 wins it isn't even funny.

Thank god only 1 more game this year but all of next year of this is going to be painful. Just counting down the days until we have a new head coach

I agree. I think the bar for next year is four games.

If they can't win 4 games in year six, then I'm sorry, but he's not the guy.

Some kids have no sense of situational football.

I can accept that this is true for some players, but your QB shouldn't be one of them.

So you are saying by year 8 he may manage .500?

No, he's gotta make a bowl in 2022. (That's "only" year 7, I think.)
Four wins next year, bowl in '22.
At that point, if he hasn't been able to do that, there is only 1 year left on his contract.
And then the buy out is much more manageable.

Uh...

No, Dino is paid to get us to bowl games.

The only way Syracuse is getting to a bowl game next year is if they buy a ticket.

We had 3 yards rushing today. It seems like the QB already hit his ceiling here. The O line is a joke, we've have the 12th or 13th rated recruiting class in the ACC again. And this season was soul crushing for the players who lived through it.
I feel like a lot of players are going to leave. Something smells very wrong with the program. I hate when players go on strike. They did that to Old Ben toward the end. Never a good thing for supposed "Ohana" for the kids to think you are putting their health at risk.

We consistently look unprepared. And it is not just this year we have seen signs every year. How many times do we see OLmen not sure what to do on a play? Or a WR running the wrong route? Or a QB making a basic decision look hard?

If we were prepared for the 2 point conversion we don't use a TO. If we were prepared for the 4th down play we don't use a TO. If we were prepared for the 3rd down play we don't use a TO.

Is it any wonder these kids make mistake after mistake when they seem to always be unprepared? Yes that bone headed 3rd and 4th down are on Rex. But you have to think if we were a well coached team the odds of those plays happen would be a lot less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom