Notsalgia | Syracusefan.com

Notsalgia

Now that we are into the home stretch of the Big East season with two games against G-Town coming, a loss at Uconn, and already two against Nova having been built, it's hard not to feel some nostalgia about leaving the Big East.

As much as I try to get excited about the ACC, I just can't do it. I wish the ACC could have kept Maryland and added Uconn instead of ND. At least then it would feel a little more balanced. Other than a few games, it still feels like we are leaving everything we love about Cuse bball for this strange southern conference which outside of a team or two, really isn't as good as the Atlantic 10 right now.

It would have been:

Games with some interest (whether it be regional or high caliber) (7)
Pitt
BC
Maryland
Lville
Uconn
UNC
Duke

Who cares games (8)
UVA
VA Tech
NC State
WF
Clemson
GT
Florida State
Miami

Instead we get two less interesting rivals and one more who cares: (5)

Pitt
BC (being generous because they are horrible)
Lville
UNC
Duke

Who Cares: (9)
ND
UVA
VA Tech
NC State
WF
Clemson
GT
Florida State
Miami

We get Boston back which is good for alumni and fans, but lose NY (although it looks both Cuse and the ACC want presence there) Philly and DC. Losing Philly and DC will hurt. Having Maryland would have been big for a DC presence.

Big East:

Interesting games: (9)
Lville
G-Town
Nova
Uconn
Pitt
Marquette
St Johns
Providence
WVU (I know they left, but they left only after we made the first move)

Who cares: (6)
SF
Depaul
Rutgers
SH
Cincy
ND

I would not put nd down as a who cares game. I get tons of satisfaction beating no in bball and football.

Miss: Nova, G'Town, UConn, St. Johns (more or less)
Won't Miss: All the rest who are not making the jump with us including Marquette and Cincy (the only good teams from the rest of the pack). I don't feel that rivalries with those 2 ever had a chance to develop in the short time they were members.

Every one of these games is bittersweet for me. Yesterday's game was the largest attendance ever for a SH game at the Rock. This is probably the final meeting between SU and SHU - two of the original members of the Big East.

We've been playing them since 1948, so while it's only Seton Hall, and there will be new and different opponents in the future, a part of me will definitely miss our annual showdown with the Pirates.

The Big East is like your losing your best and favorite girlfriend. She was great and it lasted for a significant portion of your life, but it just didn't work out. Hard not to regret it.

The Big East is like your losing your best and favorite girlfriend. She was great and it lasted for a significant portion of your life, but it just didn't work out. Hard not to regret it.
True enough, but she got so fat and bloated over the years it's hard not to look forward to someone else.

All of the ACC games including Wake and VaTech will mean something because we'll be competing for a conference title. We will get to know those teams just as well as we know Seton Hall and South Florida, etc. ACC hoops will be awesome when we are fighting against UNC, Duke, Pitt, Louisville, ND, NC State every year for a title ... especially if they contract for the tourney in MSG as was reported in the NY Post yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom