NY Times - Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NY Times - Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C.

And Texas met with the ACC last week

According to Brown. They are most likely using the ACC as leverage.

we are on the radar but i think they want rutgers a little more
Just my opinion

Just my opinion

rutgers could be filler for the b10 but only because it would give the b10 schools more visibility to nj hs recruits. they are more interested in the state than the school.

Just my opinion

To be clear, I am not certain of the pecking order and you could be right. What I've heard is that Maryland has gained a lot of steam, while Rutgers has lost some. Syracuse, though, I've heard come up a lot more the past several weeks from my Big Ten friends. I don't know whether that means they're in the Big Ten's direct sights, but I'll want to throw a big hint at people...

If you don't believe in conspiracies, one should at least consider the tin foil for these conference rumors. There's a lot of posturing and a lot of manipulation going on. Even when a report like this is legit, not everything is as it may seem.

Why Rutgers?!?

Please someone I don't get it and don't tell me Rutgers gives you NYC b/c it doesn't.

Why Rutgers?!?

Please someone I don't get it and don't tell me Rutgers gives you NYC b/c it doesn't.

It doesn't give you New York City, but it gets you into it. That is all that matters in terms of TV contracts.

A North Conference and a South Conference.

The North would include SU, Pitt, BC, MD, Va Tech, Miami and VA.

I think it would be great.

A revival of some very important traditional games and some fun South games.

It would have to help attendance and would be a fun BB season as wel

Any more than Syracuse does? Or for that matter Uconn?

That doesn't matter, the B1G would have a presence in NYC. They then turn to ESPN/NBC/FOX and say we have the NYC market. One person in NYC could watch Rutgers, but that doesn't matter because of the potential viewers NYC brings. The ACC can make the same claim with Syracuse too.

Why Rutgers?!?

It gets them into NJ recruiting more and also the NYC metro area. It doesn't give them any more, and probably less, tv market.

That doesn't matter, the B1G would have a presence in NYC. They then turn to ESPN/NBC/FOX and say we have the NYC market. One person in NYC could watch Rutgers, but that doesn't matter because of the potential viewers NYC brings. The ACC can make the same claim with Syracuse too.

Others can explain this better than me but we had this long discussion a year ago. It has to do with cable tiers. rutgers not being in NYS doesn't allow them on basic and it would cost more than a syracuse.

Why is everyone putting Miami in the North Division?

DUKE AND NORTH CAROLINA

This also happens to be the best fit for football. Miami nearly died 15 years ago and came back. Florida State is already on the way back. Va. Tech is there, at least for now, and a ton of good brand football teams, even if they don't quite match up with the cream of the SEC; they are still far better than the teams who make up our conference. At least you can honestly say that every team in the ACC is a BCS team, well, except for maybe Wake. But this is our life boat, buoys.
Considering we gave you a gift and let you beat us ok. Anyway welcome to the ACC it will make for some fun football games and when we get Jay Wright as our coach once the Big East is done we will be back at some point in bball.

Any more than Syracuse does? Or for that matter Uconn?

It's not just New York City, though. There are nearly 2 million households in New Jersey that is also in the New York City TV market.

What really helps Rutgers, ironically, is not just their ties to the market. Interestingly enough, it's also that Penn State has nearly 25,000 alumni living in New York City with Michigan having nearly 13,000 more (according to the Wall Street Journal). This is the most of any schools in the country. Penn State has somewhat been pushing for Rutgers because they see them as a natural East coast rival that would generate a lot of interest in the city. Add in the possibility of Notre Dame, and the Big Ten feels the combination of Notre Dame (who is popular in the city), Penn State and Rutgers would really help get the network on most cable operators.

Look at it this way: right now, there is roughly 20% of the 7 million households with the BTN at roughly 5 cents per pop per month (roughly $1.05 million per year). If the Big Ten can carry even 70% of the market at 50 cents a month (the in-footprint average for the Big Ten is actually 75 cents, but we'll be conservative here), the network would generate an additional $30 million in revenue per year before advertising. Rutgers may or may not carry the city, but it's believed the addition of Rutgers and Notre Dame, along with having a big alumni base in the city would add a lot of revenue to the conference.

That doesn't mean they should be put there.

Well it would also get both divisions into Florida's fertile recruiting grounds. This is how I would set it up.

North:

Boston College
Maryland
Miami
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech

South:

Duke
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Wake Forest

Well it would also get both divisions into Florida's fertile recruiting grounds. This is how I would set it up.

North:

Boston College
Maryland
Miami
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech

South:

Duke
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Wake Forest

This setup is ideal. Although there has been some talk of 4 pods of 4.

Notre Dame I would agree with. Grew up near NYC and it seemed to have a big ND following.

RE: television markets

Guys, you've gotta think of it like this: it's not just about viewership and whether Rutgers brings a ton of viewers to television events. The FCC has structured markets, as does Nielsen, and these markets are basically negotiated as a whole because the OTA stations in those markets are responsible for covering the news of all schools within that market. So Rutgers, being in the New York City market, is negotiated as having an in-market team if they join the Big Ten because that's the market it belongs to. So even though they may not give the Big Ten as much leverage as other draws, the cable operators are still forced to negotiate them on basic or expanded basic tiers because they are part of the New York City market. Basically it means that when Rutgers is on ABC or ESPN, it's going to be given coverage in New York City as if it were part of the city, since the OTA stations are responsible for the Eastern portion of New Jersey (the Southern portion of the state is part of the Philadelphia market).

As I said... there are nearly 2 million households in New Jersey's half of the market, so cable operators can't ignore those people regardless of whether the folks in New York City give a lick about Rutgers football. They have to look at the big picture. Even though Rutgers may do terribly in the city, they can't differentiate the city from the New Jersey half, because of how the markets are defined by the FCC.

RE: television markets

Guys, you've gotta think of it like this: it's not just about viewership and whether Rutgers brings a ton of viewers to television events. The FCC has structured markets, as does Nielsen, and these markets are basically negotiated as a whole because the OTA stations in those markets are responsible for covering the news of all schools within that market. So Rutgers, being in the New York City market, is negotiated as having an in-market team if they join the Big Ten because that's the market it belongs to. So even though they may not give the Big Ten as much leverage as other draws, the cable operators are still forced to negotiate them on basic or expanded basic tiers because they are part of the New York City market. Basically it means that when Rutgers is on ABC or ESPN, it's going to be given coverage in New York City as if it were part of the city, since the OTA stations are responsible for the Eastern portion of New Jersey (the Southern portion of the state is part of the Philadelphia market).

As I said... there are nearly 2 million households in New Jersey's half of the market, so cable operators can't ignore those people regardless of whether the folks in New York City give a lick about Rutgers football. They have to look at the big picture. Even though Rutgers may do terribly in the city, they can't differentiate the city from the New Jersey half, because of how the markets are defined by the FCC.

Are you sure about all that. Someone in the business said last year that the way the tiers work it does not go by market but by state. Rutgers supposedly could not be on basic cable in nys nor nyc.

Sent from my DROIDX

Why is everyone putting Miami in the North Division?

Exactly.

"Make it regional" Putting Miami in the north does NOT make it regional, in fact that's the opposite of regional.

My suggestion:

BC
Maryland
Miami
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
NC State
Wake Forest

Of course this assumes the ACC doesn't lose anyone and MD and VA don't object to being placed with the noobs.
This one -- the Carolina schools would never agree to different divisions for them. Spot on & looks great!